I can't stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't stop

Before "doing" comes the idea of doing. You're ahead of me!

I guess that I'm posting means I AM thinking of doing?
    Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

I can't stop

dcl051257;978251 wrote: On beer #6.... treatment center #7. Actually I've been in treatment 6 times... no .. 7. Stayed sober 3+ years... til a few months ago. I'm 53. My dad died of ETOH @ 53, mom at 63. Seems like I'm trying to make this my destiny.... ? I can't seem to bring myself to want to go to meetings. oh jeez. Found this site... I would so love to have someone/someplace to be honest.
      Hi there dc and welcome:welcome:

What were you doing to maintain your sobriety for 3+ years? I think that you must sit down and journal everything that has worked for you in the past, and then think about getting back on board with that. Were meetings something that you did when you were sober for so long? What has changed in your life that made you decide to drink again? Did complacency set it? Ask yourself all of these questions to begin with. You have what it takes to stay sober for 3+ years, and that ability hasnt just disappeared. It is still within you to stop right now and begin the fight again. Do you need a new plan, new ideas? It is tragic that both your parents lost their lives ata relatively young age, but this doesnt have to be destiny. Break the cycle once and for all. I would love to get to know you better, you are worth the effort. Keep posting here there are many many fantastic caring people here who will jump on board to help out. Saffy
      I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

I can't stop

Hi all---

I'm back after a long absence. Ups and downs, but not "over this" by a long shot. Time to try again. "Trying," it's hard, isn't it? DC, I hope you can share your secrets for 3+ years sober...we'd all love to hear that!

JJ
        Jane Jane

Comment

I can't stop

I am still ambivalent. It hasnt interferred with my life except the guilt of knowing that I am consuming too many glasses of wine each night and the frustration with myself for not doing something else. Well, I think I would have more energy and I am a mom, what am I role modelling?! If I could manage to get to Less glasses, less days it would be great. I really enjoy wine for a number of reasons...I wonder how much my brain's pleasure cente rhas come to reliy on those drinks...no one else is concerned with my consumption, but I know. It is also something I don't want to quit completely, but maybe that is the only solution? I hate the idea of not being able to do something. So here I am after many visits of peeking in! First internet discussion forum too!

Comment

I can't stop

Topsy-Turvy-Tracy;976805 wrote: I really relate to what you said about anxiety. Looking back, I can see how it dominated my life long before I took my first drink. Unfortunately, for me, being sober for a matter of months did reduce not it, it just got worse.

It doesn't sound like, if your account of how much you drink is accurate, that would be risking a full-blown detox by quitting cold. A hang-over is a detox. The more severe episodes tend to happen when a person has had a large amount of alcohol in their system for an extended period of time. If you manage to go most days through an eight-hour workday with no alcohol and then drink a bottle of wine in the evenings, you won't be look at seizures if you quit.

I love that there are so many choices and different options being discussed in the various forums. I'm a bac girl myself, and there are active threads about all the meds in that forum if you are interested. Don't worry about the small-town mentality. Even if people do talk, someone else will do something way more interesting, and people will talk about that instead. Once a friend of mine was the focus of intense gossip and she said to me, "It's okay. If this happening to me, then everyone else is getting a break!" :H

I hope you find a way to be AF and at peace.
            :thanks: I am going to have to conquer this before it conquers me. Thanks for all of your advice and personal story. I need everything under my belt to conquer drinking as a natural habit to dealwith things.

Comment

I can't stop

Topamax !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I stopped within a week after 3 years of drinking heavily - I am taking Molipaxin, which is a non-addictive anxiety medication which helps me sleep. Its not magic - some days are still hell, but waking up with out the guilt is still worth it ???

Comment

I can't stop

Hi there Trying :welcome:

You've had some good advice so far and I'm just here to say hello and hang in there, keep reading and posting and you'll soon have a few days under your belt and start to feel the positive changes that happen quite quickly without the booze in your system.

Dewdrop :h
                Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

Working...
                X