Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rehab really works!

Katie,

Many thanks for sharing about your rehab experience.

I have been to rehab twice and neither time did me any good, (or did I not do myself any good?)

I don't know.

However, I go to a completely different rehab on Friday for eight weeks. I am praying I can get with the program and come out the other end ready to live my life sober.

I am very happy for you!!

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Rehab really works!

Katie we haven't crossed paths as I am new here but congratulations on your amazing success and to be able to achieve this with your son is just so heartwarming.

Cinders I wish you all the luck in the world with your adventure (is that the right word?) and send you lots of virtual support and love, I am sure that you will come out the other end a different person.

Dewdrop :h
      Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

Rehab really works!

Hi Katie!!!
        I think about you a lot! I am so glad you are doing good. What a relief to know that you are 4 months AF and that you and your little boy are well! You've always been in my thoughts, and I am so happy that you're good!:h
        K9
        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Rehab really works!

Thank you all!

It's great to "hear" all your comments and kind words..
          Chillgirl - DBT is basically like cognitive behaviour therapy but it is more towards accepting and being happy with who you are as you already are, but acknowledging that you want to change your behaviours/thoughts.. the main models we did were:
          1. Interpersonal Effectiveness (communication with others/relationships.)
          2. Emotional Regulation (how to manage your emotions, being in "wise" mind.)
          3. Distress Tolerance (how to handle distress without making the situation worse.) And Mindfullness (living in the moment)..

So all of the above was very relevant to me!
          Good luck Cinders with your new rehab..
          Thank you all for replying and take care everyone,
          Katie xxx
          "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

Rehab really works!

Hi Katie,

Thanks so much for your posts! It's always great to hear about something that works for people. What a great idea for a rehab to be able to bring your son! I met several Moms in AA who felt terrible enough about their drinking and really bad they had to leave their kids for 30 days if they went into rehab.

Congratulations on your success and thanks for sharing!
            Every day do something that will inch you closer to a better tomorrow.:h

Comment

Rehab really works!

Thanks ican do this! (great name btw.. )
              I also want to say that it only works (rehab) if you complete the course.. I know of several women that left halfway through - having had enough, and thinking they were strong enough.. only for them to go back to drinking once out.. you really have to stick with it and complete the course and practice the "skills" every day.. Another great idea we learnt was to have a "self-soothing box" - where you make yourself (or buy) a box - and put things in it that will soothe you in a crisis - objects that will nurture you - anything that soothes the 5 senses (e.g perfume, photo's of your favourite people, your fave music on a cd, something to make you laugh etc..)
              "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

Rehab really works!

Nice to see you back KatieB :l
                J x
                :l
                It could be worse, I could be filing.
                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Rehab really works!

Well done Katie!

All the very best to you for the now, and for the future.

G-bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Rehab really works!

Stats in South-Africa is dreadful - 75% relapse in the first month ? Must be something wrong with the system? I refuse to go, I am not leaving my daughter ! Even AA in our country is awful.
                    Hoping some miracle happens and somebody does something ???

Comment

Rehab really works!

Congrats Katie for taking a hard step and sharing your experience here with us.

Comment

Rehab really works!

Great news, Katie - and wonderful to hear from you!
                        Coco

Comment

Rehab really works!

Great to see you back. Unfortunately I've seen the stats too. Addiction in general has a very low recovery rate full stop, being in the low single figures. However that does improve with rehab to well into double figures. Around 40% relapse but then get sober, and 30% die in their addiction. So the 75% figure isn't far out.

All it did for me was leave a hole in my bank balance, and buy me a little sober time. I could only ever afford 4 weeks at a time since I was self-funded with no income whilst in there.

So hope it has worked for you as you've invested a lot of time and effort. Beware of the fluffy cloud though.

Comment

Rehab really works!

food for thot

KatieB;979708 wrote: Thanks ican do this! (great name btw.. )
                            I also want to say that it only works (rehab) if you complete the course.. I know of several women that left halfway through - having had enough, and thinking they were strong enough.. only for them to go back to drinking once out.. you really have to stick with it and complete the course and practice the "skills" every day.. Another great idea we learnt was to have a "self-soothing box" - where you make yourself (or buy) a box - and put things in it that will soothe you in a crisis - objects that will nurture you - anything that soothes the 5 senses (e.g perfume, photo's of your favourite people, your fave music on a cd, something to make you laugh etc..)
                            hi katie b,good for you,i to went to rehab,it was not AA that helped me stop,they gave me hope,but not the understanding from rehab, i have now,it is hard to make rite decisions when youve been medicated since birth.it will be interesting to see your progress.:thanks::goodjob:gyco

Comment

Working...
                            X