Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just sharing something I thought meaningful...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(No matter your situation...)

It is the everyday aspects of our lives that bring us the most joy, even if at first it may seem natural to expect our feelings of happiness to come from the larger events in our lives. By noticing how small things can fill our days with delight, we are more likely to experience the wonder of living. Once we take the time to look around and witness the beauty, kindness, and laughter that envelop us, what may seem like the ordinariness of the everyday becomes filled with the extraordinary detail of each individual moment. If we bring this sense of awareness to our lives for even a few minutes each day, we will begin to see how just blessed we truly are.

Beholding the joy that surrounds us may initially seem easy, but for some it can take a conscious effort to make it a part of a daily routine. When you awake in the morning and set the intention to notice more joy in the world, watch how your day and, eventually, your life is filled with more joy. The more we do this the more apt we will be to notice the sounds of children laughing or the sparkle of dewdrops on a flower petal. Allow this joy to fill your heart fully, and from there it will naturally expand to your entire body and then spread to others, giving them joy as well.

Taking in the small joys of each day expands our feeling of being connected with the world, especially once we become more attuned to them. With each passing day, we will find that these small delights, which bring a deeper level of appreciation for everything the universe has given to our lives, are miracles.
    Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Savon,

This was lovely. Thank you for posting it. It really is the little things in life. As I've gotten older I've come to understand this more and more.

Comment

thankx for sharing
      :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
      best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

I so agree that there are opportunities for grace in the smallest and most mundane events
        There is a wonderful book along those lines called "A tree full of angels" Finding the holy in the ordinary by Macreda Werdiker (spelling may be wrong), I lent it recently to a lady in trouble with alcohol and the law. She is on house arrest and I hope she can get some encouragement from it.
        As alcoholics we slowly raised the bar for satisfaction. One of the unexpected results of abstinence has been the renewed ability to see the beauty of the world and be of use to other people.
        Sunny

Comment

Savon, definitely we can strive to find moments of contentment, joy, and happiness in the very small things. Yesterday at work a few of us had a 'belly laugh' moment, tears running down our faces laughing at some silly little joke - my day was enhanced just by that little moment - went to bed feeling content.
          Choochie, I agree that that comes with age, but also that those joyful moments are lost to booze - the only 'happiness' (yeah right) I found, or thought I found, for years was out of a bottle.
          There is a technique my counsellor is teaching me called 'mindfulness' - just paying attention to the little mundane things around us is part of that, I find it brilliant
          Thanks Savon
          Molly
          Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
          contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Molly, such a good point about AL's role in hindering our ability to appreciate the small things. We spent so much of our time in a fog, or then recovering from the fog -- who could concentrate on what really mattered!!

Even just at day 10 AF I'm starting to actually have a sense of feeling happy again -- haven't had that for a long time. I always defined happiness as something that just came in small spurts. I'm starting to feel it much more consistently now -- just one of the countless upsides to escaping AL!!

Comment

Love this...thank you Savon.

Molly, would LOVE to hear more about the mindfulness..
              "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
              NF 12th May 2010

Comment

savon19;980894 wrote: (No matter your situation...)
                Taking in the small joys of each day expands our feeling of being connected with the world, especially once we become more attuned to them.
                Like it a lot Savon. When I was actively drinking I got twisted into a complete knot of self-concern - not a good way to stay connected with the small joys of each day. AF, I get more and more glimpses of grace and joy every day. Thanks for the reminder.

P.S. "Hi" from South Florida
                "I will restore to you the years that the locust has eaten"
                AF since June 24, 2011

Comment

Yes we all need to stop and smell the roses!
                  Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Lovely, lovely post Savon, I've printed it and popped it into my diary, thank you so much

Dewdrop :h
                    Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

Working...
                    X