Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lancet study

Hello,

I found this site 2 days ago. Today I've joined as a member and ordered Ms Jewell's book.... the first steps.

The link to the "Lancet Study" doesn't work from Ms. Jewell's FAQ page. I would like to read it. Does anyone have a good link?

Thanks

Bea

Lancet study

Hello, forgive me for feeling cynical.

I think I am the only person to post here who hasn't at least received a Welcome or Howdy or whatever.

So I'm already doubting this place. No worries, thanks anyway

Did I say something wrong??

I was just trying to ask about the links to study. Many of the ones under "research" and also Ms Jewell's introductory posts "FAQS", "4 quick steps to start" don't work.

Oh well. My problems are my own.

Bea

Comment

Lancet study

Hi! Bea- perhaps no-one answered you because they weren't sure about what the Lancet study was?- I tried opening that link and it didn't have any information-
      Welcome to the site! Tell us about yourself...
      Fluff
      It's always YOUR choice!

Comment

Lancet study

Hi Bea and :welcome:

Sorry no one has responded to you, I am just checking in very quickly before I head off to bed and am unsure myself on the links that you are having trouble with. Hopefully someone will come along shortly and be able to help you.

In the meantime please keep reading as much as you can and do keep posting please don?t give up and not come back. There is a lot of experience around. Why not jump on a few threads and say hello, try the Sober October Challenge or the String a Few AF Pearls or the Newbie?s Nest. Sometimes the site is a bit slow depending on the time of the week.

Good luck and it?s good to meet you.

Dewdrop :h
        Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

Lancet study

Thank you Fluff and Dewdrop,

at least someone is out there.

I know I am alcoholic, and may even be beyond redemption (late stage, cirrhosis, I have to think that's me.) I don't really know because I haven't seen a doctor in years.

I just know my drinking has gotten worse for over 20 years, I dream about alcohol, I want a drink in the morning, instead of coffee, and most times I just have a beer for breakfast.

It makes me feel better.

I need to learn more, and am surprised you guys haven't read Roberta Jewell's posts. Maybe I just found the old ones.

Thanks.

Bea

Comment

Lancet study

:colorwelcome:
            Bea - I'm pretty new here (15 days AF - yea) but I haven't run across any posts from you yet. Anyway, you will be happy that you found this site if you stick with it. The people are great and will always try to answer your questions. Just keep posting - maybe like me, people just haven't found you - I originally posted a title that said something like "New Here - Have Questions." Several "veterans" answered me with great advice.

Hang in! It has made the difference for me!! - Sorry I don't know about the Lancet article. You can let us know if you find out.

Best to you,
            Choochie

Comment

Lancet study

:welcome: Bea,

And here comes a veteran to say my hellos. I'm afraid RJ very rarely posts these days although I've read some of her old ones.

Click on the link below to see if it can help you get a plan of action together.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

Ask any questions you like, lots of things to get used to here. So don't be shy.

J x
              :l
              It could be worse, I could be filing.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Lancet study

Hi Bea,
                I should have said hello yesterday, but I am not at all familiar with Ms Jewell's book, nor with the Lancet article you're referring to. I arrived at this place after googling Baclofen, which is what I'm now taking in a (surprisingly successful) attempt at curbing my booze habit.

I'm sorry you got what seemed like a chilly reception. I'm fairly lousy at the cheery howdys and how are yous because this place is usually teeming with good souls who love that kind of thing. A bit like busses, never one when you want one and then six turn up at once...

I suppose the only reason you're here is to find a cure to your alcoholism. All I can tell you is my own story these last few months; I've been an evening boozer for the last fifteen years, wearing my hangover with little concern, and never too worried about my declining health and a career going nowhere. The last time I went a whole week without booze was 12 years ago. The longest I managed this last few years was 4 days. I was beginning to feel like absolute death. Constant hangovers, parts of me aching, heartbeats going apeshit -- in fact, for the last few years I have been convinced that a heart attack is just around the corner, and I'm not yet 40.

Faced with daily horrors and the fact that this can't go on, I cast about for a cure to this "incurable" disease.

I'd tried getting Baclofen off a doctor, but she wouldn't help me... a year later I ended up here, reading about other people's experiences, and I realised this may be my only chance. So I ordered some online. waited two weeks for it to get here, from Spain.

In the 6 weeks since I've been taking it, I have done periods of 5 days, 11 days, 8 days, etc... in other words, instead of getting drunk every night, I have got drunk maybe 4 times in a month. This is, to me, a more amazing result than I would ever have expected. Not 100% sobriety, but simply experiencing entire weeks go by without a single hangover or panic attack is better than winning the lottery.

Baclofen is a complicated thing and there is a lot of reading you should do before trying it. But before you despair and fall into the trap of believing you're beyond "redemption" in the least religious sense of the word, you should know that there are ways out and Baclofen, the only one I have tried, seems to be just one of them.

Good luck with your quest!

Comment

Lancet study

Hello I am Britches and I am new to this site as well-reading for about 1 month. I have the book and have read it -excellent information. It tells her story and research she did it also tells what supplements to take and how much of each and why. Currently I only take the supplements as that seems to work for me. I have never drank in the morning only at night and would sometimes drink a bottle of wine in an evening which got me concerned I googled and got to this website ......the posts keep you on track! I wish you the very best-there are posts from people who have drank alot for along time and they are now af so I hope that gives you encouragement. Stick with the program and you will have a new life.:welcome::h
                  sigpic[I]

Comment

Lancet study

Hi Bea! Old ladies like me are in bed at the time you posted:sorry:, only read on here this morning.
                    Fraid I also know nothing about the Lancet article. I must admit to not really doing all the things we are supposed to do - I sort of fell into this site a year an a half ago in a pretty bad state and thro many ups and downs along the way feel I'm in a good place at the moment - mainly due to the people on this site I may add.
                    I was a very heavy drinker also Bea. I drank morning noon and night at the end. In any 24 hour period I could have 2-3 sessions - it was horrendous. I also put off going to a doctor cos I presumed I would have cirhossis and anything else you can get from alcohol abuse. Eventually went this time last year, had all the bloods done and did indeed have 'chronic hepatitis', but through (mainly - a couple of cock-ups in there) abstaining from alcohol since, my liver was given the 'all-clear' last June, so TRULY Bea, if my liver could be fixed - practically anyones can be!
                    A very big:welcome: to you
                    Molly
                    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Working...
                    X