Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you loving about being AF....

What I Like About Being Sober...

PHYSICALLY being able too move FORWARD ....

runningwind/Connie
    The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind. William James (1842-1910)

Comment

Great contributions

Some of the abbreviations : AF is Alcohol Free and AL is alcohol.

Need to add to my list:

- Sleep, sleep, sleep - I thought I was struggling with insomnia or hormonal issues, but since quitting I am sleeping wonderfully.
      - Not eating like a madwoman the day after a binge - pounds are taking their time dropping but I am feeling better.
      - Real, genuine belly laughs...
      - being able to drive at a given notice.
      - Reading, I love to read and it was taking forever to finish a book. Now I am going through them like crazy.
      - Being able to say I haven't had a drink in 8 weeks :thanks:

Comment

Where do I even start? This is just day #8 for me but I am seeing many changes. Most of what I am experiencing has been echoed by others here but I want to list some of them anyway.
        - Sleep!!!! My wife says that for the past week I no longer snore. She says my snoring could be heard all over the house and she was constantly waking me up to roll over ? of course I never remember it.
        - That brings me to my next point ? remembering the night before. Many mornings I didn?t remember going to bed the night before. Scary!
        - Being able to drive whenever a darn well please without worrying about a DUI (that is one plus ? in all my years of drinking I would never drive after even one drink ? so I was house bound)
        - Generally feel better about myself. The dude staring at me in the morning mirror is a little more likeable.
        - Like K9 ? reading ? I love it.

I?m hopeful that like Peace and Choochie, the anxiety will go away. I?m on a very low dose of Xanax but would like to get rid of it altogether.

ItsJustMe
        AF Since 10/17/2010

Comment

Hi PeaceSeeking, thanks for your thoughts on letting go, when memories of our drinking past come with their guilt and dissapointment. You mention, being mentally prepared to let them go. I think that is key, and like you say, it is not easy. It has taken time for me to gain some of this ability.

The great news is that I am not adding any new guilt, because I am not doing stupid things while drinking, like I have done for decades.
          Hill
          Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

lavender25;988169 wrote: seeing beauty in the simplistic, mundane, and once-looked over things. i'm so humbled. i'm just one little speck in this beautiful world ps. i'm new at this. and i am 56 days sober. pps. what does AF mean?
            Welcome Lavender:welcome: and good job for being al free for 56 days:goodjob: Hope to see you around heaps more, love and strength Saff:h
            I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

Hi everyone :h

Hillside, it really sounds like we struggle with the same ruminations of the past. I am having a tougher time with that this week, but it does come in waves and after each time we are thrown for a loop we come out stronger.

I know as time goes on I will stop this self defeating behaviour and I do believe that part of it is that pesky addictive voice working up to make us pick up. It hurts to remember but it will hurt more to start drinking again. Need to tough the storm to come out in one piece emotionally.

I see you are from Canada, whereabouts? I am not far from Toronto and a couple of us are hoping to have a meet up in June 2011...

Take care all.

Comment

What I love about being sober: EVERYTHING.

I am just so happy in my life right now. I never realized that I was so unhappy....until I really GOT happy (if that makes any sense).

I seem to be more financially strapped than ever right now...seems like I always had money, now I don't...BUT I am still happier than I have ever been. I wouldn't trade this feeling for all the money in the world.

The Beast can kiss my A**!
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

That's right K9, it can kiss mine as well :agreed:

Comment

Working...
                  X