Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there hope in middle age after a lifetime of alcoholism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a "thread" of hope here. I never thought I would be struggling with this disease in middle age. I had so much going for me as an adolescent and young adult. Ugh.

Hi there hopefuli
    Big welcome to you.
    Well, I quit drinking at 45 after 30 years and in the last two years have completely turned my life around. So yes, I think theres hope.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

hopefuli;993374 wrote: Need a "thread" of hope here. I never thought I would be struggling with this disease in middle age. I had so much going for me as an adolescent and young adult. Ugh.
      Hi Hopeful, and welcome:welcome: The answer to your question is a resounding yes!!!!! There most definitley is hope and plenty of it. Most of us here would never have thought that we would be battling this problem, but here we are, all ages, all walks of life, and all stages of the problem...I refuse to call it a disease, because for me a disease tells my brain that I have something out of my control, calling it a problem gives my something to solve!!! This is a very personal interpretation of it and by no means do I want to impost this on others. I would like to get to know you, could you tell us a bit about yourself, and also how we can help. STrength and grace, Saff
      I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

Well said Saffy!!
        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Hopefuli - I'm 46 and I quit drinking in Jan this year and life is fantastic!
          It's like being born again, you can do this, it's never too late........
          "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
          AF - JAN 1st 2010
          NF - May 1996

Comment

You betcha!

Make your decision, take action, and turn your life around friend. What are you waiting for?

Go for it!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Throughout my life I've had serious issues with alcohol and not so serious issues with alcohol, but the problem has always been there and, having found this site a few months back and intensely focused on getting help and getting sober, I can honestly say that it's a big YES from me. I know I'm on the path to a life AF, and you can do it too. This is a wonderful place, supportive, non-judgemental and loving, and you couldn't find better more understanding friends to walk with you on your journey.
              My very best wishes on your journey...
              :h Mish :h
              sigpic
              Never give up...
              GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
              Remaining a perpetual possibility
              Only in a world of speculation.
              What might have been and what has been
              Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

You STILL have a lot going for you! You'll see when you remove alcohol from your life that it will blossom before your eyes!
                sigpic
                Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Hi hopefuli - I think if you did a survey, you'd probably find that many (most??) of us are either middle age and just realizing that something has to be done, or else a little more golden but realized the AL-Life was no life in middle age!

I'm just 46 and joined when I was 44. Here's to middle age (with a tall glass of lemon water). ;-)

Comment

Never mind middle age I am in my 60's and have just turned my life around and am having the best of times. I do wish I had stopped in my 40's but hey ho no time for regrets.
                    Hopefuli just begin a new great life NOW:welcome:

Comment

DG - a definite yes. I'm just arriving at my first month AF and I'm 58. Don't think I was ready UNTIL now. Really, I think it would be easier in middle age to quit - couldn't have done it any more recently - even in my 40s I wouldn't have been ready or wanting it enough.

Join in - you will never regret not drinking if you can give it some time. Being AF is the best feeling I've ever had in my adult life!

Sending you peace and strength.

Comment

Everyone has said it really well and I agree with them, I am 53 and just over 2 months AF for the first time in 25+ years. I have never felt better in my life and am so happy within myself, give it a go and give yourself the opportunity to reclaim your life - what have you got to lose ?

Dewdrop :h
                        Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

Hi ive found out my boyfriend is drinking secretly vodka wine etc what would be your advice? He moved in 4 months ago and hi smood changes so quickly after he drinks not sure I can cope with it.
                          Should I confront him?
                          Thankyou
                          Katy

Comment

Hi Hopeful,

I'm 47 and one of the main reasons I don't want to drink anymore is that I am middle aged?! What a sad way to spend middle age, as an ageing alcoholic!! I can't stand the idea. I'd rather be just about anything else!! So, I think it's a great time to give it up and move on to more positive things with our lives while we have the chance!

Congratulations on getting here! :goodjob:
                            Every day do something that will inch you closer to a better tomorrow.:h

Comment

I am 58 and struggled for the last 12 years to quit. Finally quit in January of 2010 with help of baclofen and counselling
                              Consider all your options. You won't regret giving this your all.
                              Sunny

Comment

Working...
                              X