Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new day.

Hello!

I stumbled on to this site after a few too many late nights, a few too many stresses, and too many drinks.

I've been reading for a few weeks now (including the book), and although I'll be in the minority (male), I've read so many familiar stories that I can't help thinking this might be right for me.

I think, ultimately, I would like to be a moderate drinker. If this doesn't work, then I will have no choice but to attempt excluding alcohol from my life. And the thought is intimidating.

I guess, from a newcomers point of view, I identify with the many stories of struggle here. I spend the majority of my life with two busy practises in healthcare, albeit of the four-legged variety. It seems I spend the rest of my life winding down after a hectic day. I find I'm becoming reliant on my wind-down time, so much so that I really don't like my wind-down time to end.

Anyway, I decided if I am to be serious about this, then I need every tool at my disposal. And this seems like a good place to start. I have a daughter from a relationship that ended a few years ago and I'm lucky enough to have her live with me. We have a solid bond without having to live in each other's pockets, and I want for her to know that I am there for her.

I'm incredibly tired of having to pretend that everything's okay. It's not. But I'm hoping, with this support, it will be tons better.

Well, thanks heaps for listening.

Tris.

A new day.

Hiya Tristan..I just want to welcome you to MWO...I know the thought of cutting out alcahol altogether is daunting...You will come to a conclusion in the near future what is right for you....You have found an excellent site...Lots of times i have wanted to drink but have come on here instead...Have gotten support and got through the night...Good luck with this...Macks

:welcome:
    I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
    One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

A new day.

:welcome: Hi Tristan, Welcome aboard, well you have taken the first step and only you can take the next one, and the next, and the one after that, but if the time is right for you to either moderate your drinking or give it up altogether then you WILL do it and you will get 100% support from everyone here.

I wish you all you wish for yourself, Good Luck.

Louise x
      A F F L..
      Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

A new day.

I too am in the minority (male). The winding down after work started running my life. I have been AF for 16 days now and am getting back to my old productive self at work and at home including my relationship.
        Starting over again 09/06/11

"When its good its good its so good until it goes bad" Pink,Sober

sigpic

Comment

A new day.

Well done Changemylife.....That is really good to hear....Keep it up mate

Comment

A new day.

Hello again,

Thanks for the replies. This still feels kind of strange, but getting a response at all has lifted my spirits. I want to dig in. As I intend to follow as much as I can to make this work, should I join the abstinence board? From what I've read, this seems to be the logical thing to do, but I don't want to intrude if these things start at the beginning of the month.

It feels good to offload a bit. Thanks again.

Tris.

Comment

A new day.

Hello Tristan and:welcome:

Whether you chose abstinance or moderation - hop on board. The starting date is irrelevant and you will most certainly not be intruding. Either "village" will offer invaluable support.

Hope to see you around. This is a good place to be.

Tawny

Comment

A new day.

Yep..Exactley what Tawny said

Comment

A new day.

Hello Tristan, I am new here too. I have posted before but,recently, have preferred to lurk. However, my ears pricked up when I saw that you were in animal health-care! I, too, am in a similiar field. If you have the time, could you give me your opinion on why cats suck on wool? I am aware that sucking, and wool sucking in particular, is a common behaviour in cats. While the causes are unknown, it is most often seen in Siamese or Burmese cats, suggesting that there may be a genetic basis to this behaviour. Do you have a particular slant on this theory?

I apologise if this is not the time or the place but I figured it was worth a shot.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Comment

A new day.

Welcome

Hi Tristan,

Warm Welcome. This IS the place to start. Do you have the book? If not, order it, start taking some vitamins and READ READ READ the posts... especially in your witching hours!

Skootie
                    "I have not failed - I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas A Edison

Comment

A new day.

G'day Tris,

Welcome on board. We're quite a mixed crowd here, I must say. Males and females regularly posting. Hopp on the wagon. A word of caution re- moderate drinking. It's more than often impossible, as the moment you start with one glass, you'll have another one, and so forth. You'd have to be pretty strong to say no to glass 3 and 4, particularly if you're with a crowd of people.

In any case, you'd have to figure out for yourself. A major determining factor will also be how long you have been drinking, and most importantly on whether your parents/grandparents had drinking problems. If so, (like in my case), moderate drinking is not an option, as we are already programmed for disaster through genetics.

Best regards,

Patrick
                      Paddy
                      Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

A new day.

I'm with Pink on this one..........my cat does a hell of a lot of wool suckin' too....

Any answers Tris?
                        :k TheKanga

Comment

A new day.

Welcome Tristan! I'm pretty new here too and I find reading the posts to be very helpful when I'm wavering. I too would like to be able to moderate. My husband and I are doing this together, though he's adjusting much easier than I am, and we're not keeping any alcohol in the house. He plans to drink moderately on the rare occasions when we go out, but I'm not sure whether I will or not - it's still too early and I'll see how it goes. But I feel much more motivated than previous attempts at cutting back/quitting, partly because this program seems a good fit, and supportive, and I think partly because I'm finally at that point where I want to do this, rather than feeling like I should. Good luck to you, and let us know how you're doing.

Pixie :welcome:
                          AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

Working...
                          X