Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie: absolutely confused but 3 days sober!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PeaceSeeking;998052 wrote: :welcome:

Lots of great tips given already, just want to welcome you. My doctor would never think that I had a problem either, I was a very high functioning binge drinker and probably drank the same amount as you with a binge thrown in there once in awhile. I felt like crap, it was affecting my life and well being so it was a problem. Since quitting I feel like a new, confident person. Keep coming here, this site helped me a lot.

As for the candida, I just finished a candida cleanse and continue to follow the eating guidelines and you would not believe the results. I have absolutely no cravings for AL, sugar, bread and feel amazing. The first 30 days after quitting though I was craving everything and eating everything, it was better than drinking, then I tackled the cleanse.

Lots of rest, lemon water and vitamins and this site.....
    Hi Peaceseeking!

Yes, I have been feeling absolutely horrible these past months with my drinking! Re the candida I actually never eat bread or sugar but my alcohol craving may well have been related to the candida issue! Although, ironically, I've been eating a candida diet the one thing that has continually undermined it is my alcohol intake!
    Sober since 2nd November 2010!

"Life is a mirror of your thoughts and beliefs. It simply reflects YOUR truth, your reality."sigpic

Comment

Hi Breaking and :welcome:!!!

I agree with the others that if you believe AL is a problem for you, then it's a problem. I've often heard it said that it's not how much or how often we drink, but what happens when we drink that matters. It sounds like drinking is feeding a craving for you that just perpetuates more craving. That's a problem!!

My issues with candida were not as severe as some I don't think, but I did have issues with it. I believe strongly that there is a connection between the candida and the AL cravings. (but I'm not a doc so who knows!!!) I first got on my feet with a little AF time and then tackled the candida with strict diet and also the protocol described at this site WholeApproach.com - Natural Candida Treatment - Systemic Yeast Infection and Candida Diet Recipes, Forums and Products for about 6 months. It really helped.

Strength and hope to you. I don't regret giving up AL one little bit. I don't think you will either.

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Congratulations and welcome BTC,
        Systemic candidiasis is a life threatening sepsis. You would likely be dying or on IV meds in hospital so I suspect you have something else (hopefully!).
        Luckily for you one doesn't need to go to rehab to recover from alcohol dependence. There is no "magic lesson" you can learn in rehab that you cannot learn on your own as an outpatient. I suspect you have already learned a lot just in the 4 abstinent days. Your determination is important. Your decision to seek out a support system (us!) and accurate information also are good signs.
        The reason you crave alcohol likely has nothing to do with candida. It has to do with alcohol dependence which every alcoholic has. It is virtually the definition of alcohol abuse that our tolerance and desire for it increase over time and we go back on our good judgment to moderate our intake. This seems to fit you so I have no doubt you are in the right place. Some believe that low sugar diets, especaially at first, help with cravings. I am not sure there are any studies on this but it is probably a good idea to eat right for your body.
        The itching is very typical of withdrawal early in the course.
        Again congrats and welcome!
        Sunny

Comment

:welcome: BTC and best wishes on your journey.
          :h Mish :h
          sigpic
          Never give up...
          GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
          Remaining a perpetual possibility
          Only in a world of speculation.
          What might have been and what has been
          Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

Sunnyvalenting;998545 wrote: Congratulations and welcome BTC,
            Systemic candidiasis is a life threatening sepsis. You would likely be dying or on IV meds in hospital so I suspect you have something else (hopefully!).
            Luckily for you one doesn't need to go to rehab to recover from alcohol dependence. There is no "magic lesson" you can learn in rehab that you cannot learn on your own as an outpatient. I suspect you have already learned a lot just in the 4 abstinent days. Your determination is important. Your decision to seek out a support system (us!) and accurate information also are good signs.
            The reason you crave alcohol likely has nothing to do with candida. It has to do with alcohol dependence which every alcoholic has. It is virtually the definition of alcohol abuse that our tolerance and desire for it increase over time and we go back on our good judgment to moderate our intake. This seems to fit you so I have no doubt you are in the right place. Some believe that low sugar diets, especaially at first, help with cravings. I am not sure there are any studies on this but it is probably a good idea to eat right for your body.
            The itching is very typical of withdrawal early in the course.
            Again congrats and welcome!
            Sunny
            Actually I do have systemic candida - according to two qualified MDs. I'm not sure where you got the idea all systemic candida sufferers would be dying or on IV meds.

"Life is a mirror of your thoughts and beliefs. It simply reflects YOUR truth, your reality."sigpic

Comment

Mishmash;998659 wrote: :welcome: BTC and best wishes on your journey.
              :thanks:

Comment

Doggygirl;998116 wrote: Hi Breaking and :welcome:!!!

I agree with the others that if you believe AL is a problem for you, then it's a problem. I've often heard it said that it's not how much or how often we drink, but what happens when we drink that matters. It sounds like drinking is feeding a craving for you that just perpetuates more craving. That's a problem!!

My issues with candida were not as severe as some I don't think, but I did have issues with it. I believe strongly that there is a connection between the candida and the AL cravings. (but I'm not a doc so who knows!!!) I first got on my feet with a little AF time and then tackled the candida with strict diet and also the protocol described at this site WholeApproach.com - Natural Candida Treatment - Systemic Yeast Infection and Candida Diet Recipes, Forums and Products for about 6 months. It really helped.

Strength and hope to you. I don't regret giving up AL one little bit. I don't think you will either.

DG
                Is Whole Approach the system that includes taking bentonite and caprylic oil? If so, I've heard good things about it. And thanks for the warm welcome!:h

Comment

Hi BTC,

As for AL cravings, having candida and an addiction can really make the cravings bad. When I first quit, I was eating sugar like I never did before but didn't worry about it, as quitting drinking was my # 1 priority and that helped at the time. After my 30-45 day mark I embarked on the strict cleanse starting with a two week run of the supplements, now I continue the eating plan without the supps.

For me, giving up the AL first then the cleanse has really helped. No more cravings for sugar, bread, AL or really anything that I am not suppose to have. I am more in tune with my body and am treating it very good after these past 3 years of abuse.

Comment

PeaceSeeking;998767 wrote: Hi BTC,

As for AL cravings, having candida and an addiction can really make the cravings bad. When I first quit, I was eating sugar like I never did before but didn't worry about it, as quitting drinking was my # 1 priority and that helped at the time. After my 30-45 day mark I embarked on the strict cleanse starting with a two week run of the supplements, now I continue the eating plan without the supps.

For me, giving up the AL first then the cleanse has really helped. No more cravings for sugar, bread, AL or really anything that I am not suppose to have. I am more in tune with my body and am treating it very good after these past 3 years of abuse.
                    Really excellent and encouraging!:thanks::l

Interestingly in my case I was fulfilling all my candida sugar cravings by drinking booze! I would also suddenly chug down a large bottle of freshly-squeezed orange juice every other day - this sounds healthy enough but does actually feed candida. And the booze I'd gravitate towards was always cava or champagne which of course has extra sugar added to it during its fermentation process. I kidded myself that I was being "good" because I wasn't eating candy (sweets), sugar, bread, sugar-laden soft drinks etc etc - but then I was of course guzzling all that sugar in the form of the sparkling wine and the huge bottles of OJ

Comment

A healthy diet, whether or not one is allergic to yeast makes sense and can only help one feel better faster. I did go fairly low sugar for the first few weeks and then "binged all I wanted" for 4 months. So eating right is not essential for abstinence. About 5 months ago I reigned it all in slowly with normal food, diet and no supplements. I feel well and have lost weight (needed to) through diet and exercise. I have been AF for going on 10 months now.

The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology has strongly criticized the concept of "candidiasis hypersensitivity syndrome" and the diagnostic and treatment approaches its proponents use. AAAAI's position statement concludes: (1) the concept of candidiasis hypersensitivity is speculative and unproven; (2) its basic elements would apply to almost all sick patients at some time because its supposed symptoms are essentially universal; (3) overuse of oral antifungal agents could lead to the development of resistant germs that could menace others; (4) adverse effects of oral antifungal agents are rare, but some inevitably will occur; and (5) neither patients nor doctors can determine effectiveness (as opposed to coincidence) without controlled trials. Because allergic symptoms can be influenced by many factors, including emotions, experiments must be designed to separate the effects of the procedure being tested from the effects of other factors [5]. Several years ago, Crook told me that he had no intention of conducting a controlled test because he was "a clinician, not a researcher

Sunny

Comment

Working...
                      X