Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Around again

Hello everyone.

I came here once before, I see a few names i recognise from before, I had to re register and get a new name for confidential reasons.

I bought the book before n got all the vitamins, but didnt think i as drinking enough to justify it.

So i drank onwards n upwards.

I think i drink too much, but read the 'you know your an alchoholic when" thread n god never done hardly any of that stuff.

i dont get paraletic or blind drunk but do drink every day.

My total daily is usually 6 to 8 beers, followed by a good few glasses of wine with and after dinner. Sometimes with a spirit before bed.

I dont feel a need to drink, and i can go without it quite easily for days, but my prob seems to be not being able to have ONE, i HAVE to have a good few.

So not sure if i'm alcoholic or not, i dont personally think i am, especially after reading some of things on here... BUT

i do think I'm a kinda heavy drinker, n need to stop. I'm spending too much time and money on it.

Opinions?

Also I'm looking for an alternative 'drink' to have, i mean soft or fruit or whatever, this is not as a replacement but more for the habit, like a smoker wants something to do with hands.

I used to have the odd AL free day and drank agostura bitters with lemonade, but that does have a smidge of AL in it, so any good alternatives you can recommend for the pure habit of fluid intake of an evening??
    AF 3-3-11
    1 FEB 2011 new crusade (failed)
    Stopped AL 17 November 2010 did 30 days
    NF since 1992

Around again

ok no one speaking here now.....

I'm outta here

bye
    AF 3-3-11
    NF since 1992

Comment

Around again

hi Ronker it can be a bit slow around here . i'm not a great one for drinking anything just to replace drink , when i was out at the weekend was drinking red bull and lucozade in a pint glass , worked for me
      AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

Around again

Sorry Ronker - I didn't see this thread or would have responded. I consider myself an alcoholic even though I don't fit into most of the criteria. It is personal for me. I don't like how it unmotivated me. How it effected my outlook, my health, my attitude. I never got blind drunk, drove drunk, hurt anyone physically, but I knew in my heart that I drank too much and too often (usually up to a bottle of wine a night). That was too much FOR ME. You say "My total daily is usually 6 to 8 beers, followed by a good few glasses of wine with and after dinner. Sometimes with a spirit before bed." Now that is alot of booze for anyone. On a daily basis that has to take it's toll. Physically and mentally.

For me, being only 17 days sober, I found that I did not have cravings per say, but I did have a habit which needed to be replaced. I now opt for a wineglass filled wth Perrier, seltzer wth juice, water with lemon, spicy tomato juice , whatever. Also green tea. It works for me.

Try not drinking for a little while. NO ALCOHOL AT ALL. You will find out if you have a drinking problem. I wish you the best of luck and plese don't leave in a huff. If you really want help or opinions, you can't give up so easily. I am on this board a few times a day and I never saw this post so maybe it did not load or something. The people on here are wonderful and there was no ill will intended I'm sure.

Good luck to you.
        February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Around again

If you drink more than you intend to, than you know is good for you then you have a drinking problem. It will likely get worse if you continue to drink as you do. It isn't important that you call it alcoholism. It is hazardous to your health both physically and emotionally. For some the chemical dependency comes slowly and late but the inability to control your drinking once you start is a sentinel symptom of the potential for habituation and dependency. Don't wait until you have all the symptoms.
          Best of luck
          Sunny

Comment

Around again

welcome back just do your best read and learn your way out good luck and we are here for you
            :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
            best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Around again

Wagoneer;1005798 wrote: Sorry Ronker - I didn't see this thread or would have responded. I consider myself an alcoholic even though I don't fit into most of the criteria. It is personal for me. I don't like how it unmotivated me. How it effected my outlook, my health, my attitude. I never got blind drunk, drove drunk, hurt anyone physically, but I knew in my heart that I drank too much and too often (usually up to a bottle of wine a night). That was too much FOR ME. You say "My total daily is usually 6 to 8 beers, followed by a good few glasses of wine with and after dinner. Sometimes with a spirit before bed." Now that is alot of booze for anyone. On a daily basis that has to take it's toll. Physically and mentally.

For me, being only 17 days sober, I found that I did not have cravings per say, but I did have a habit which needed to be replaced. I now opt for a wineglass filled wth Perrier, seltzer wth juice, water with lemon, spicy tomato juice , whatever. Also green tea. It works for me.

Try not drinking for a little while. NO ALCOHOL AT ALL. You will find out if you have a drinking problem. I wish you the best of luck and plese don't leave in a huff. If you really want help or opinions, you can't give up so easily. I am on this board a few times a day and I never saw this post so maybe it did not load or something. The people on here are wonderful and there was no ill will intended I'm sure.

Good luck to you.
              Hi,

thanks for reply / ies

thought there was no one talking. Yes as far as AL free is concerned I can do that without any major troubles, as i said my issue is once i start, if i dont start i'm ok, so guess I will need to adopt a non alcohol life, which is a pity cos i do like it but health is more important.

I started going AF yesterday and today started a 7 day detox too so will see how it all goes.

Also just like yourself, it is the habit to be replaced, i am trying appeltise.

Thanx
              AF 3-3-11
              NF since 1992

Comment

Around again

Good luck and keep posting to let us know how your getting on
                AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

Around again

madmans;1005793 wrote: hi Ronker it can be a bit slow around here . i'm not a great one for drinking anything just to replace drink , when i was out at the weekend was drinking red bull and lucozade in a pint glass , worked for me
                  yep thats what i mean... a replacement.. not for the booze, just the habit of consuming.

red bull n lucozade...wow bet that had a kick
                  AF 3-3-11
                  NF since 1992

Comment

Around again

What is lucozade madmans?

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Around again

Wagoneer;1005847 wrote: What is lucozade madmans?
                      I can answer this one, being ex UK, its a fizzy soft drink which is supposed to aid recovery from illness, build you up, has become a bit of a sports drink too of late, just an all round lifter sort of drink. google it you will prob get a picture.
                      AF 3-3-11
                      NF since 1992

Comment

Around again

its like gator aid with a fizz lot of fizz
                        AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

Around again

Hi Ronker :welcome:. Sorry about just getting over here - somehow just missed you.

I didn't drink all that much compared to some, Ronker, but felt I had a problem because I was so dependent on alcohol. I just felt I had to have it. Remember it's a progressive thing, so you could ratchet up as time goes on.

Actually, though, this:
                          My total daily is usually 6 to 8 beers, followed by a good few glasses of wine with and after dinner. Sometimes with a spirit before bed.
                          sounds like a lot to me.

I think it boils down to if you want to quit and if you feel like you've lost control of your drinking. Where are you on those issues?

We are here to help if we can. I highly recommend Allen Carr's The Easy Way to Stop Drinking if you have the inclination.

Choochie

Comment

Around again

Thanks guys - that sounds yummy Wonder if I can find something like that in Philly. Out here people are CRAZY for those energy drinks but they make me feel like my heart is going to explode...not good!

Comment

Around again

yea it has some kick i used to drink it for awhile after our first child would keep you awake all day. not sure if i would recomend it , it must be full of sugar by the buckets
                              AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

Working...
                              X