Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I stop this madness.

Help. How do I stop drinking?

Every morning, I swear I will never drink again and every evening I drink a bottle or two of wine. I am suffering from depression and my doctor thinks a good part of it is to with with my drinking.

I want to be sober and I want to be happy.

All I seem to do during the day is sleep and mope about the house. Looking around me now is such a mess, I just don't clear anything up any more.

I shout, scream and cry at my husband constantly.

I don't care that Christmas is coming up (a big drinking time), I just want to quit now.
    CW

One Small Step for Man, One Giant Leap for Mankind.

Tell yourself that tomorrow you won't drink. ODAT. I hear you and I feel your pain. Just tomorrow, okay?

:l

Comment

I'll start today. It's lunchtime here in Australia and I am not going to drink this evening.

I have to go out at about 8.30 pm tonight, so there is no way I can drink. I need to drive. The bad times for me are between about 5 and 7 pm. After that things seem OK.
      CW

One Small Step for Man, One Giant Leap for Mankind.

Comment

:l Charlotte,
        I remember you from before, it seams to me you've just been really struggling for a quite a while and my heart goes out to you. :h I think one of the most helpful things for me on this sight is the ODAT method. (One Day at a Time). When I am really struggling I just hold on to the idea of not having a hangover the next day. When my issues seam too big and I don't know what to do I'll remind myself at least I'm not drinking today. There is a lot of help in the tool box. Honestly what helped me the most is just sticking close to MWO and reading and posting as much as I could. Coming up with a plan was critical for me during the early days. Good luck to you on your path, one thing is for sure you will feel better once you can get some AF time. Don't want to overwhelm you with all my suggestions, just really feel for you. :h

Comment

Hi CW,
          I echo what FB said. Just start with today. Once you get one day, you have proven to yourself that you can get through one day, you have the evidence you need to do it again the next. Everyone says it gets easier with time.

I can say that for me, the supplements definitley help with the physical cravings. So then I just have to deal with the mental issues.

Also, posting on this forum is helping a lot, as has the book The Easy Way to Stop Drinking by Allen Carr.

Best to you!
          "No matter what happens, be fearless!"
          Sam - AF since 12/11/10

Comment

Working...
          X