Something that works for me and may for others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is something I personally find works good for me, it may work for others, I dunno but I will pass on anyway.

Its phsycological I suppose, but when I stopped smoking, I found that if I had cigarettes available I didnt smoke, because there was no worry of not having any, they were right there, I chose not to.

In my quest for an AL free life, I have a last bottle of beer in fridge, its been there since day 1, its a sealed bottle, and it will remain that way, but because its there, and I know I could drink it anytime I choose, it somehow fills a need, and I have no interest in it.

I guess others may find this strange but it seems to enhance my will power just because its there.

opinions?
    AF 3-3-11
    1 FEB 2011 new crusade (failed)
    Stopped AL 17 November 2010 did 30 days
    NF since 1992

i am same there is two beer in the fridge ,dont want them ,dont feel tempted. i think it's more for peace of mind. i allways wanted drink more when i had none. some people will say its better to get rid of any chance of getting drunk but for me looking at ten beer in the fridge might be a problem not two
    AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

Unfortunately having a beer there, sealed has been the undoing of several people in the past because at some time you could be having a very bad craving or even thinking "haven't I done so very well, I can just have that 1 beer now".

Slippery slope.

When I was 6 weeks into almost 6 months sober earlier this year, I thought I'd removed all alcohol from the house when I quit only to find 2 bottles in a junk basket near my front door. If I had known they were there weeks 1, 2, 3, and 4 I knew deep in my heart I would have drunk them and not gotten so far. Luckily when I did find them I was able to stay calm and pour them away before popping the bottles into the glass bin.

Hope it works for you

Comment

@ ukblonde, yep I'm hearing ya, but its like I said, helps my will power, may not be for everyone, its just a sharing of an idea.

@madman, glad to hear it helps you too, I agree 10 may be an issue! Having one there is a bit of a security blanket, but as i expected there will be mixed feelings on this one, but thought would put it out there anyhow, it may help some.
        AF 3-3-11
        NF since 1992

Comment

i do see your point. i'm on day 26 AF and got very bad craving at the start and out of the blue. but for me and i can only say this for me two beers would not tempt me to drink because i would want more, need more when i look at two beers i know it would not get me drunk ,i only drink to get drunk if that makes any sence. i also know that were i live alcohol is all around and i am going to have to deal with that, going out, meeting people and living
          AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

I think we all have to find what works for us and of course it's different for everybody.
            Ronkers I understand your psychology with this but my concern would be when you have a particularly bad day or something upsetting happens out the blue. This is when our "fuckit" mentality kicks in and if it's within your reach you are for more likely to drink it. If there is no AL in the house and a crisis happens you are more likely to call someone who will talk you out of it or come onto MWO for support. Just something worth considering....

I actually woke up in the middle of the night in my finally drinking days, hungover and distraught, went into the kitchen and emptied the entire booze cabinet, got into my car and drove it to the bins and the end of the road as I was so desperate for it to be out the house.
            "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
            AF - JAN 1st 2010
            NF - May 1996

Comment

G'day Ronker,

For me, once i had made up my mind to stop, i knew i would not be drinking for a long time, if ever again. Because my mind is made up, and i've made the decision, the choice not to drink, there is no longer any contest, or battle. I have had alcohol in my house since day 1. It doesn't bother me, because my mind is made up. But this doesn't work for everyone. If i was feeling wobbly, i would remove it without hestation. I understand your thinking on this, but just beware. Our alkie brain is very, very sneaky.

Best wishes! G-bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

madmans;1010794 wrote: i do see your point. i'm on day 26 AF and got very bad craving at the start and out of the blue. but for me and i can only say this for me two beers would not tempt me to drink because i would want more, need more when i look at two beers i know it would not get me drunk ,i only drink to get drunk if that makes any sence. i also know that were i live alcohol is all around and i am going to have to deal with that, going out, meeting people and living
                Couldnt agree more, 6 pack wouldnt get me drunk, yes the drink to get drunk makes total sense, thats my (WAS MY) downfall.
                Having it there, the one bottle, just bolsters my will power cos I wouldnt drink it in desperation anyway, it wouldnt touch the sides on the way down.

If at any time I decide I want to drink, I will drink, I will drive sober to the store and buy a carton, and some spirits and do the job properly once home, so the single bottle just puts a smile on my face cos I will never drink it.

anyway its just a small thing, if its not your thing dont do it.
                AF 3-3-11
                NF since 1992

Comment

I quit smoking 5 weeks ago. I have a pack sitting in my cupboard. Knowing they are there relieves some sort of anxiety, which in turn, makes me not want any! It works for me! When my grandmother quit smoking 40 years ago, she carried around a pack in her purse for a year. It worked for her. Never lit one of those smokes and eventually threw the pack away.

Comment

Ronker, I thought the way you did when I first got sober in 2007. I went 60 days AF. Then I cracked open and drank the bottle of Vodka that had been sitting in my pantry the whole time. For me, having alcohol around proved to be a huge mistake. Not something I choose to do this time around. If I'm going to drink, I'm going to have to work harder for it than walking across the kitchen.

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                    X