How to begin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to begin?

Hello to all! My first post. It's about 2pm here in the UK and I'm slightly under the influence. Again. Not sure if it is because I drank too much last night or because I drank something this morning or this afternoon. I can't remember how much I had or when. How to start not drinking? Is it best to reduce daily consumption gradually or try to go the occasional day without drinking or just stop altogether? Current consumption is slightly more than half a litre of whisky a day and has been for a long time. Help!

How to begin?

:welcome: Recluse,

I'd guess you've just topped up a bit from last night and that's why your still feeling slightly inebriated.

Now this is a hard one. Do you stop abruptly or taper down.

I needed a medically supervised de-tox using valium last July 2009 as it can be quite dangerous to quit suddenly. But I know there are some who have done it here with great success. My first thought is to have a word with your GP he/she may be able to help you with alcohol withdrawal and some alcohol counselling.

J x
    :l
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

How to begin?

Hi recluse and welcome to mwo,you have come to a great place with lots of good advice & support,I dont know how your withdrawals are as people can be different in there reactions but if you are drinking all day from the moment you wake up in order to avoid your hangovers, then you will need some sort of medical supervision to help you through the detox. You might have experienced D.T.s before , but full scale alcohol withdrawal can be an unpleasant business. Hallucinations, seizures, it can even be fatal. So you should see your doctor before you plan to stop drinking alcohol. They can help you with medication, If the thought of that scares you to death, then you MUST try and cut down a bit before you stop completely.read and post as much as you can and you will see you are not alone,This monster can & will be beaten and there are many here people who have accomplished just that. :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

How to begin?

Also read and read, then read some more. Post lots so we can get to know you.
        Have a look in the link below and there's masses of info in the tool box.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

J x
        :l
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

How to begin?

Hi hunni, welcome. A LOT of people here have stopped after drinking the same amount and even more then you. I think the best thing to do is not top up anymore and just see how it goes. Many people have stopped by them self with no medical assistance.
          If you do find it's too much, get medical help. Stay strong and when things get rough, which they will, just remember why you're doing this and that it's your body detoxing after years of abuse!

Comment

How to begin?

I have had no experience with withdrawals, but am here for support. Welcome
            I love my family more than alcohol.:h
            Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

How to begin?

Thanks to all who took the trouble to reply. I usually start drinking mid to late evening and carry on until 5 or 6am. Partly to fill the time, I think. And also to help me sleep. The thought of trying to go to sleep sober is frankly terrifying. But then it takes a few or sometimes several hours after waking up the next day to sober up, which is a nuisance as it makes those hours very unproductive and all I do is sit in front of the computer like I am now...

Topped up is such a good phrase, Jackie. Describes it perfectly.

Recluse

Comment

How to begin?

Please stay here with us. There is loads of information and everyone is wonderful and caring.
                I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

How to begin?

:welcome: Recluse. Just wanted to lend my support and tell you one thing. For years I thought I was an insomniac. I would wake up in the middle of the night virtually every night - 3am ish and have terrible anxiety. I couldn't go back to sleep, would feel terrible because of the lack of sleep, etc. It turned out to solely be the alcohol. Within days after quitting I started sleeping. Suddenly I could go to sleep easily, didn't wake up at 3 (on the rare occasions that I do I go back to sleep easily). Every day now I feel excellent because I don't have alcohol to overcome, and I sleep. I know others here who have posted similar experiences. Obviously this may not be how it works for you but I wanted to at least let you know that there is a possibility that your sleep will improve dramatically.

Sending you peace and strength,

Choochie

Comment

Working...
                  X