I have to quit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to quit

I went to the doctor today about my bloody stools (LOL) She examined me and she said she couldn't find anything wrong with me but if it persisted for a few weeks to come back and they'll do a scope (I love the NHS, its free). BTW, rectal exams are very uncomfortable, I can't believe anyone is "into" that. She asked me what meds I was on, I told her Sertraline & Naltrexone. Of course she was really interested in Nal. I explained why I was on them, she asked me more questions about my drinking and then asked me if I wanted to be referred. I said I did, and she said it would take a month or more to get an appointment. SO I have an ultimatum for Naltrexone:
    Either it significantly reduces my drinking in the next month and a half or I am quitting it and quitting drinking the old fashioned way. I'm so glad I went to the doctor now.
    The most exhausting thing in life is being insincere.

Comment

I have to quit

EOL - lol from your post. But, on the serious side, so glad that you had yourself checked out and got the referral. We're here for you!

Choochie:l

Comment

I have to quit

EOTL - glad you went to the doctor. Keep us up to date on how you are. Good vibes heading your way
        February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

I have to quit

Thanks guys! Reassurance is a wonderful thing.

Comment

I have to quit

I was thinking (rather obsessing) about what the best approach for me would be now. As in, should I keep drinking with Naltrexone or should I try to abstain.....and I still can't resolve it in my head. I know nobody can answer this for me----why do I have to solve everything all at once! Like I have to answer this problem once and for all....could be my OCD///

Comment

I have to quit

_EndOfTheLine_;1013665 wrote: I was thinking (rather obsessing) about what the best approach for me would be now. As in, should I keep drinking with Naltrexone or should I try to abstain.....and I still can't resolve it in my head. I know nobody can answer this for me----why do I have to solve everything all at once! Like I have to answer this problem once and for all....could be my OCD///
              my doctor wanted me to be AF for two weeks before he would even put me on naltrexone. however, you can drink while taking it, but just remember to take it. at least with me, it was shocking what it did to my ability to drink. I would buy beer, and even open them out of habit, I just didn't really want to drink them. I would sip on a beer until it got warm. just take the meds, and see what happens if you try to drink. there's a good chance you will lose much of the urge. I think the most I was able to consume while on naltrexone was like 4-5 beers.

Comment

I have to quit

gogators;1013680 wrote: my doctor wanted me to be AF for two weeks before he would even put me on naltrexone. however, you can drink while taking it, but just remember to take it. at least with me, it was shocking what it did to my ability to drink. I would buy beer, and even open them out of habit, I just didn't really want to drink them. I would sip on a beer until it got warm. just take the meds, and see what happens if you try to drink. there's a good chance you will lose much of the urge. I think the most I was able to consume while on naltrexone was like 4-5 beers.
                Yeah I've found that aswell. Its ridiculous tho, you buy the beers and you want to be able to drink them, but you just wouldn't be bothered. Your brain wants that endorphin hit, but knows that beer can't provide it anymore. Tonight, I almost want to want to drink, but I know if I bought any alcohol it would be a waste of money so I won't. Its good really.

Comment

I have to quit

_EndOfTheLine_;1013684 wrote: Yeah I've found that aswell. Its ridiculous tho, you buy the beers and you want to be able to drink them, but you just wouldn't be bothered. Your brain wants that endorphin hit, but knows that beer can't provide it anymore. Tonight, I almost want to want to drink, but I know if I bought any alcohol it would be a waste of money so I won't. Its good really.
                  that's why I always "forgot" to take it. I had the most success by just being around good people. when I go to my parents house for the holidays, I don't drink, and I have no urge. I think eventually I am going to end up a ghost hunter, cause I can't sleep when I don't drink, and I will be up in the middle of the night!

Comment

I have to quit

gogators;1013688 wrote: that's why I always "forgot" to take it. I had the most success by just being around good people. when I go to my parents house for the holidays, I don't drink, and I have no urge. I think eventually I am going to end up a ghost hunter, cause I can't sleep when I don't drink, and I will be up in the middle of the night!
                    LOL Its cool that different things work for different people. Your environment is obviously your saviour. The good life like your parents intended!
                    . I'm quite happy that I don't want to drink tonight and its making me turn to different things. I am going to clean my room. Cleaning my room is something of significance- its always where I start to pick up the pieces. Then I'm gonna go to the shops and get some veggies, sort my diet out. Then I'm going to do some study. Tomorrow I might go to the gym. And when this happens the whole world is at peace.:H

Comment

I have to quit

EOTL - sounds like you're on your way! Funny, too, I think the World will be at peace and AWE when I make it back to the gym! I'm planning to get back there, though!

Comment

I have to quit

mylife;1013888 wrote: EOTL - sounds like you're on your way! Funny, too, I think the World will be at peace and AWE when I make it back to the gym! I'm planning to get back there, though!
                        HA yeah. Its hard to get momentum sometimes. Try starting small, like two/3 exercises then get out. This is usually enough for most people anyway!

This is me half way though my 4th day sober!

Comment

I have to quit

Great! I just made it through day 5. Yeah! I was thinking about signing up for a personal training session at the gym -- actually this FRIDAY night. I thought it might be a good way to get me back stated in a routine and to spend my first Friday in some time not drinking -- and I'm sure I'll have the gym mostly to myself! (haha) I'm serious, I think I might do that. Have a great AF evening!

Comment

I have to quit

You guys are sounding great - really taking some positive steps to help yourselves. Great job!!

Comment

Working...
                            X