Panic Attacks the real story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday I decided to go back onto this website after joining in May 2010. I was having a few problems working my way around the site, so I decided to wait until my son and partner got home. I wanted to let them know that I was going to make a real effort to cut my drinking down. My son was so pleased he said no worries Mum I will help, you tell me what you want to say and I'll type. I was talking and he was tapping away and then submitted. This morning I had a look on the site and saw my story titled Panic Attacks to find that my son had left out some of things I said and added some of his own thoughts to it which made me feel quite sad but very proud of him.
    So my story is that I have been having panic attacks and have related them to the amount of al I drink.
    I can drink anything between 2 glasses and 2 bottles most day, he wrote everyday which is more the truth.
    My panic attacks mainly happen when I am driving, but I have noticed that if I only have a couple of drinks the night before the attacks next day driving to work on a scale of 1-10 are around a 3 if I have a bottle of more they are way up there to full blown.

I have been through some very hard things in my life and managed to get through them(with the help of al) but the attacks are so frightening.
    Drinking seems to take the edge of the attacks. I had a bad attack the other day and went to have a glass of wine to calm down I was shaking so much I had to drink it out of a straw.

I only drank white wine until about 6 weeks ago and decided that it might be the sugar in the wine that is contributing to the attacks. Brain waveI'll drink red wine.

Anyway yesterday with my son and partner talked and decided that I will have only two glasses of wine tonight and that's all and look at some al free nights this week.

I do like to have a couple of wine's and would like to be able to enjoy a couple of glasses.

So that's the plan for now.

I would appreciate and feedback, some help around the website and ideas with plans to put in place.

To those of you that replied to my son's story panic attacks I did try and reply but for some reason the website wouldn't allow me to. Not sure what I am doing wrong, but thanks anyway.

Look forward to hearing from some you. I'll keep you posted on how I go now that I have my very caring son (body guard) looking out for me.:h

pohutakawatree;1012324 wrote: I have noticed that if I only have a couple of drinks the night before the attacks next day driving to work on a scale of 1-10 are around a 3 if I have a bottle of more they are way up there to full blown.
    :welcome: Pohut - so, I think the above quote says it all. My anxiety is gone after having given up alcohol. There are different "threads" throughout the website, and a couple of them have people chatting who are moderating rather than abstaining from alcohol. I'm giving you a few links that you can just click on which will help you get started. After that, just play around on the site - you can't hurt anything but you will need to learn how to navigate. Otherwise, you won't be able to read what others have written, which is the key here. Don't worry, though, you'll get the hang of it. So, here are a few starting points. Good luck!!

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...ber-46157.html

Topamax, Campral, Naltrexone, Baclofen, other meds - My Way Out Forums

Choochie

Comment

Hi Pohuta,

Welcome back and nice to see you here. My panic/anxiety and depression, whilst not seeming as strong as your's, (?) has gone completely now that i've stopped drinking.

Lot's to useful reading and info here.

Best wishes, G-bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi Pohu, I have realized for some time that for me Panic Attacks and AL are related. When I'd over drink (most of the time) I would wake up in the middle of the night in a sheer panic about everything in my life. My heart would be racing, I'd feel anxious and wide awake for hours. Days that I abstained or did not drink the attacks would disappear. To me, they are another symptom of my Alcoholism.

Comment

Pohut, I'm so glad you posted this and welcome.

I've had the exact same thing happen to me and generally when I was driving. As a result I had become a semi recluse. I was put on meds for my panic attacks but deep down I had associated having them after I'd been drinking heavily. And as I said while driving. I'd have to pull over and take the journey in stages. Normally taking backroads so I could drive slower or pull over when needed.

My attacks had gone but came back recently and this time hit bad, 1st one after a very excessive night. The 2nd attack immediatley after drinking. That time I called emergency because I thought I was dying. I was embarrassed the next day when I realised I'd completely over reacted and they had asked me if I'd been drinking so probably thought I was a complete time waster.

Stay strong, I'm only starting too.

Comment

Glad to see you back! I can honestly say that my 3 am daily panic attacks have almost completely disappeared since I stopped drinking. Wine was my poison too. It was horrible. You wlil find that after getting the AL completely out of your system, your thinking wll change. At least for me, the positive changes completely outweighed any temporary physical things (headaches etc). You wlil be amazed how being sober will change things and get you out of the stranglehold of those panic attacks. Good luck to you and keep us informed on how you are doing!
            February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Thanks everybody. I'm working from home today and having an arugement with myself about having a glass of wine then checked website and happy to say your replies really helped plus I went into the Tool Box section so didn't pour one. Like you Juley I have sat on the side of the road blowing into a paper bag and once had to call my partner to pick me up when I was parked on the side of the road having a panic attack and take me to the medical centre. I have found that when the attacks aren't bad that having a supply of cut up apples and cold water really helps when I'm driving and obviously not to much al the night before.

Comment

I, too, have had panic attacks while driving. I would always think that my car was going to veer off the road every time I hit a small bump in the road, or get blown around by the wind. Oddly enough, after a few weeks of being alcohol free, my fear of driving has pretty much gone away, and I've become something of a leadfoot...

-Moglor

Comment

Wagoneer;1012447 wrote: Glad to see you back! I can honestly say that my 3 am daily panic attacks have almost completely disappeared since I stopped drinking. Wine was my poison too. It was horrible. You wlil find that after getting the AL completely out of your system, your thinking wll change. At least for me, the positive changes completely outweighed any temporary physical things (headaches etc). You wlil be amazed how being sober will change things and get you out of the stranglehold of those panic attacks. Good luck to you and keep us informed on how you are doing!
                  Hello Po welcome back to the site. Like wagoneer my panic attacks where usually at night. I would be jarred awake, leaping out of the bed thinking I was having a heart attack. Plenty of trips to the ER. I'm AF over six months and those attacks are a distant memory. However, the PA's were a big motivator for quiting the booze. I wish you well and hope you find your AF groove! John
                  Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Welcome!

Boy, oh, boy! Can I relate! When I was a drinker, I got those nasty panic attacks while driving as well! Very terrifying.

I have always had a problem with anxiety. When I am overloaded with fear or stress I sometimes have an attack just as I am falling asleep. It is very rare now though. Maybe twice a year....

The drinking made it soooooo much worse! Almost daily when I drank the night before.

I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. You will find so much support here.

Comment

:welcome: Pohut

Whatever you decide to do in the long term whether it be moderate or abstain it's important to get at least 30 AF days under your belt, now you have found the toolbox you can out a plan into place and by chacking in here you will get plenty support.

My panic attacks started a few months before I finally quit and I'm very grateful to them as they made me finally realize something had to change. Mine used to start before I had to go out somewhere socially and this was because subconsciously I was finding it so stressful going out knowing I would end up totally wrecked. Latterly it was easier to stay home and drink at my own pace where no one would see me. Like Mr G, since getting sober the attacks have now since disappeared. Wishing you much strength.
                      "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                      AF - JAN 1st 2010
                      NF - May 1996

Comment

Hiya Pohut - I too used to experience panic attacks - we have a bridge leading into our town that is over a kilometer long - I used to sit at one side of it for hours trying to get my panic attacks to subside before I could cross it.- Now I just whizz across in the car without even giving it another thought. Diazepam helped ease these attacks when I first started AF
                        It's time I put my big girl pants on. :grannypants: I hope they fit.

Comment

Working...
                        X