Shock and Surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shock and Surprise

Hello all - I have been lurking for a while , finding the drink tracker particularly useful and without a single drink since early November, so thank you to all involved for the motivation I needed.

My shock came last year when routine blood tests showed elevated liver enzymes - no need to quit, just be VERY moderate said my helpful GP. A year later the results showed almost no improvement, because my moderation came in small instalments and after some early efforts my pattern of drinking resumed. Stop for a while and only resume below allowable units said my doc.

I regard(ed) myself as a 'happy' drinker -a bit of a wine buff and almost never drunk .
    My drinking was mostly around meal times with my wife who is an excellent cook. On weekends a second bottle would be opened and I tended to finish most of it . A few beers here and there and no spirits . I'm an Irish man living in Ireland and this would be a wimpish drinking pattern for many of my compatriots.

The surprise came whem I decided to call an indefinite halt . This 'modest' drinker felt real withdrawal, and cravings on occasion that had me pacing the floor. Headaches ( almost gone but lingering a bit) , rumbling digestive system, flushing face and a newly discovered sweet tooth. I felt as though a really nasty virus had taken up residence and was decidedly Blah for a long time. This confirmed to me that I had moved almost impercepibly from social and occasional to regular,frequent, daily, then habitual drinker. Habitual is one step away from dependent and then I presume the really bad stuff kicks in.

I am only now beginning to perk up and feel the benefits most of the time. I realised that my weekends had been hangover country for a long time, because I am now so productive around the house! I am fixing things and clearing rubbish and sorting out paperwork that was obviously parked while I was in the haze.

What have I learned that I can pass on? Persevere through the first three or four days and it eases up. Drink green tea and lemon if ,like me ,you love your wines- because that kills the taste attraction straight away. Chalk up the milestones - first weekend clear, sitting through a really good meal with a glass of water as the wine passes by. The first office party on the dry - the new perspective is so interesting you won't miss the booze and you will go home in your own car , in your own time. The first time someone says -you're looking well - what are you doing ? I'm up to three of those and it feels really good - it also says a lot!

Apologies for giving advice as a newbie - and I know that the struggle is very different for each person. Thank you again to all who post here -it is really helpful.

Buinnean Bui

Shock and Surprise

Welcome Buinnean! What a wonderful post! Very glad you are here and I can relate to your story! Isn't it amazing how productive you are without the wine! I have been amazed at how much more I get done. (Although cleaning up after 3 girls is almost a lost cause most of the time!)

Anyway, awesomel to have you here and you gave great advice for any newbies reading. I am 39 days sober today and could not be happier! Hope to talk soon

Kat
    February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Shock and Surprise

Hi BB,

Your post was great to read.

I like the idea of green tea and lemon, I'l try that.

I have only been 5 days sober, and already have able to do things like drive myself at night when I needed to go out. Amazing how many people are out and about.

I looked at all the people in the supermarket last night and thought "These are the people who dont have a drinking problem":H

Im sure you're partner is happy with the extra help!

Well done.
      Time to whip AL's Ass :b&d:
      :h ya
      Trix

Comment

Shock and Surprise

Hello BB, thanks for the great post!

I have taken up drinking tea since I quit the wine and I never really associated the "killing the taste" factor, but you are right. I'm sipping some Orange Pekoe right now. And the sweet tooth did kick in, I try not to over indulge and switch one addictionn for another, but I like being AF so much I don't really care too much about the sweets right now. In fact, I eat lots of things that I "watched" before, and I've actually lost a little weight -- that 600-1000 calories of wine per day can add up!

Thanks for the post and enjoy your new productive sober life!

Comment

Shock and Surprise

BB - wonderful post - thanks so much. Continue on - sounds like you're doing fantastically and have your head on right. Excellent - hope you'll continue to post.

Comment

Shock and Surprise

BB - :welcome:!!!! Thank you for sharing your inspiring story! I hope you stick around and keep sharing your journey. Congratulations on your success.

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Shock and Surprise

Great post Buinnean - if it works, it's worth telling! Keep it up!
              ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Shock and Surprise

Thank you for your story! I am newly sober myself (day 5) and I am starting to loose hope that there is something better out there for me. . . .I enjoy being sober but I would like to be able to think about something more than just being sober. . . anyway thank you for the insperation!
                You always succeed if you never stop trying.
                Everyday we choose the direction of change.

Comment

Shock and Surprise

BB welcome. Advice and support comes from all sorts of folks with disparate AL abuse experiences. Your insight is very much welcome and just may be the key for someone struggling. Looking forward to getting to know you better!
                  Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Shock and Surprise

Thank you for sharing! Please keep us posted on your success.
                    "I've done it. I don't need to drink anymore. I'm free!"-Jason Vale

Comment

Shock and Surprise

HI BB . i know all about that sweet tooth:H. You have to love our Gp's "yea be all right just do'nt drink as much " point of view .
                      AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

Shock and Surprise

Wagoneer;1020331 wrote: Welcome Buinnean! What a wonderful post! Very glad you are here and I can relate to your story! Isn't it amazing how productive you are without the wine! I have been amazed at how much more I get done. (Although cleaning up after 3 girls is almost a lost cause most of the time!)

Anyway, awesomel to have you here and you gave great advice for any newbies reading. I am 39 days sober today and could not be happier! Hope to talk soon

Kat
                        Thank you Kat - I am delighted to have found such a warm welcome . I hope I am replying in the right way because I'm still fumbling around this Forum. Congrats on your 39 days.
                        I'm right behind you !

Now for the Holiday season challenge...

I love your Avatar pic btw - I must get more savvy and brighten up my future posts.

Comment

Shock and Surprise

Trixiebelle;1020336 wrote: Hi BB,

Your post was great to read.

I like the idea of green tea and lemon, I'l try that.

I have only been 5 days sober, and already have able to do things like drive myself at night when I needed to go out. Amazing how many people are out and about.

I looked at all the people in the supermarket last night and thought "These are the people who dont have a drinking problem":H

Im sure you're partner is happy with the extra help!

Well done.
                          Thanks - I'm still productive and getting the place in shape for Christmas. I agree that it's quite a different perspective to be out and about at times when you might otherwise be a liitle fuzzy :-). I find myself talking to people in the shops early in the morning - they probably think where did this new neighbour spring from?

Comment

Shock and Surprise

mylife;1020339 wrote: Hello BB, thanks for the great post!

I have taken up drinking tea since I quit the wine and I never really associated the "killing the taste" factor, but you are right. I'm sipping some Orange Pekoe right now. And the sweet tooth did kick in, I try not to over indulge and switch one addictionn for another, but I like being AF so much I don't really care too much about the sweets right now. In fact, I eat lots of things that I "watched" before, and I've actually lost a little weight -- that 600-1000 calories of wine per day can add up!

Thanks for the post and enjoy your new productive sober life!
                            Thanks ML - I have developed a taste for Lapsang Soochong lately... I could become quite a faddist!. The sweet tooth...you are right, plenty of time to sort that out and the booze calories leave a bit of wriggle room in the new diet.

Comment

Shock and Surprise

:goodjob:

Thak you for the post! I am on day 3 so I know you can relate to the feelings I am going through right now. It's funny how we can think we have things under control until we try ro stop. I'm sure my liver enzymes are off the charts right now. Lots of lemon water. Thanks again and congrats on your newfound sobriety!

Comment

Working...
                              X