Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, i'm new

Hi all, I'm Paula

I'm new to this, i've always drank too much but recently started drinking during the day... my family found out and did what apparently is the norm, hid my car keys, my bank cards etc, and babysat me, but as soon as they gave me freedom i drank again. I didn't want to drink but did it because 'I could' I desperately want to moderate my drinking, and I want help from you all, any advice would be welcome please. Paula x
    sigpicXXX

Hello, i'm new

Paula, You sound a bit young ... that's a good thing .. thatyou can get things back under control early in life ..

Welcome (I'm a newbie too) and read and read and post here. It really does help to understand there are others in your shoes that are making wonderful changes.

WaitingToExhale

Comment

Hello, i'm new

Hi, thanks for your repley, I'm not young, I'm 38 & been drinking many many years, but i'm on the way up (I hope) xx
      sigpicXXX

Comment

Hello, i'm new

Hi Paula,

Hang in there and try to really make the decision to quit. You have to want to and even then it's hard sometimes. I withdrawn myself five times now and hopefully this wil be the end of it.

Ids

Comment

Hello, i'm new

Controlling family

Hi--

I am also very new to the boards, but wanted to let you know that I identify with the family control issues. Mostly it is my husband deciding that he thinks the only solution is to take away my cash, checks, and any other way I could buy alcohol without anyone knowing. Yes, I understand his intention--he was desperate, crazy to find something, ANYthing that would prevent further damage to me, him, and our family. Despite the fact that I am actually the one who makes the most money--quite an insult, at least on the surface.

I understand the need for freedom, for saying "You can't stop me!!!!". But what does that really do in the end? You scrape together enough cash to buy what you need in secret, which provides temporary relief, but also continued longterm torture.

For me, the major issue has been learning to love and forgive myself. And I still have a long way to go. I'm somewhat lucky in that I still have some control over what I drink and when. (For me, one or two, even three drinks does NOT result in an uncontrollable binge with horrible consequences.) At this point it's come down to deciding that why in the world would I really WANT to poison my body, mind, and spirit with anything BEYOND the first few drinks, which for me are still are genuinely relaxing in the true spirit of moderate drinking.

Big questions, and no easy answers. But there is hope. And guidance, and support. And that means a lot in the big picture.

--Tia
          :new:

Comment

Working...
          X