Escape artist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Escape artist

So, about 6 months into this journey I ran into some issues that I really let derail me for a while. I lost my job and was forced to take a lower position, making the very hard decision to relocate my faimliy in the process and also badly injured my knee and had to have surgery. Being deathly allegic to change, and hard decisions in particular, by my standards this has been a pretty stressful last month. I'd like to say I got through it completely unscathed but that's not really the case and I hope someone can learn from me.

First and foremost, I am and remained through this period alcohol free - thank God. Even though I was screwing around and dangerously close to chucking it, at some level I knew that drinking would porobably be the final nail in my coffin. What I did do, was find another way to forget my problems - that "smokable incense" stuff you might have heard about.

At first, it was great - it gave me escape, was completely legal, didn't involve drinking, and brought me back to the carefree days of my youth. As a married father of three in the midst of major life decisions, though, carefree and escape were probably the last couple of things I needed. I ended up isolating, slowly cutting everyone out of the picture, including my wife, just when we needed to talk to the most. Thank God she is a patient woman and had enough faith to just pray and wait.

Long story short, after about five weeks I wish I didn't put myself and my family through, I have a new-found respect for the fact that for me, this journey isn't about alcohol at all - it's about learning how to live no matter what life throws at me. I'd like to say there's no way I'll ever make escape plans again but for now I'm just glad I didn't throw fuel on the fire by drinking.

Anyway, I've been meaning to post an update for a while and like I said, maybe this will help someone else currently make plans to escape.
    "I will restore to you the years that the locust has eaten"
    AF since June 24, 2011

Escape artist

Hi All
    Flo so glad you didn't relapse. As you have found out it isn't just about al. When we stop al and start smoking up or other drugs we are just changing our drug of choice. I know many here who stop drinking and start smoking thinking they have found and answer to al. As you said you are still escaping life and not dealing with life. The aspect of living a sober life is not just stopping drinking it is growing and dealing with life without a crutch or numbing ourselves.
    Good post to make others aware. Being able to step back and see this wasn't the answer really shows you have come along way.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
    AF 5-16-08
    Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
    AF 5-16-08

Comment

Escape artist

Thanks for this SoFlo. I am so sorry to hear about everything you have been through. My drinking escalated as the result of stress, loss of job, etc. And it didn;t help a darn thing......
      Kudos for being sober.....now go KISS your wife!!
      I love my family more than alcohol.:h
      Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Escape artist

So Flo, I'm sorry to hear life has thrown you some curve balls. I'm glad you took the time to post about it. I can always use a reminder that quality sober living is about SO much more than stopping drinking.

Now... for a bit of a funny. My brain is crazy. When I read "smokeable insense" I could feel my brain cells lighting up. :H Never heard of it before, but my alkie brain was mighty interested there for a second! :H

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Escape artist

mama bear;1024838 wrote: now go KISS your wife!!
          Done.

Great to hear from you Mama but sorry to hear you're going through tough times too. Just curious - what tools are you using right now to deal?
          AF since June 24, 2011

Comment

Escape artist

I haven't heard of it either DG

Comment

Escape artist

OK...this may be corney or inappropriate...but....I just have faith that it will get better. It certainly can't get any worse can it? I pray for strength and guidance and grace. It has been a long, painful process for my husband and I and we have really changed. His business collapsed, we had to file bankruptcy, our house was a gnat's ass away from foreclosure..and we had to change our lifestyle DRASTICALLY. Nice cars are gone, lots of jewelry has been sold, we have food stamps...
              After a while you realize it's all just "stuff", and even though it's no fun to lose, it's just not necessary.
              It has been very humbling, especially for my husband.
              I remind myself DAILY of all my gifts.....a loving marriage, great kids, wonderful in-laws, health, and my friends here.
              Plus, being female I suppose...I cry alot!!! Just ask my husband.
              And booze was just making it worse. Now I read and have become addicted to Netflix instead of drinking. When we escape, we ALWAYS have to come back don't we???
              Finally, I truely believe God will provide. He always has and he always will.
              Be strong friend and if you ever want to talk, let me know

Comment

Escape artist

Hi All,

SoFlo and Mama, your stories are very humbling, thank you for sharing. I feel like I need a good kick in the butt because I haven't been through anything close to either of your stresses and I just drank anyway! If both of you could get through your problems without drinking then I have no excuse.

Thanks for posting and I know that Mama is right -- God will provide.

Comment

Escape artist

Doggygirl;1024843 wrote: My brain is crazy. When I read "smokeable insense" I could feel my brain cells lighting up. :H Never heard of it before, but my alkie brain was mighty interested there for a second! :H

DG
                  It's crazy how "loop hole" thinking so easily sneaks in, isn't it? I could give a dozen reasons why it should have been OK going into it. I guess there really are no shortcuts here. Anyway, you wouldn't have been tempted for long if you live in the states since that vile stuff is being outlawed next week on Dec 24.
                  AF since June 24, 2011

Comment

Escape artist

Doggygirl;1024843 wrote: So Flo, I'm sorry to hear life has thrown you some curve balls. I'm glad you took the time to post about it. I can always use a reminder that quality sober living is about SO much more than stopping drinking.

Now... for a bit of a funny. My brain is crazy. When I read "smokeable insense" I could feel my brain cells lighting up. :H Never heard of it before, but my alkie brain was mighty interested there for a second! :H

DG
                    Mine too DG :H

I dont think I will ever stop looking for a buzz.

Soflo, thanks for posting. It was great to hear that you came back from the abyss
                    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Working...
                    X