Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My problem is a lack of a problem.

Hi folks,
    You know when people have those "come to Jesus moments", like a DWI, or waking up in a jail cell, after fighting with police etc. Well, apart from pickling my liver i seem to go about my business pretty calmly. Never been married, no children, attendance at work is near perfect, no DWI's (because i don't drink and drive)
    I do find it very difficult to go without a drink in the evening, but during the day, i don't even think about it. My new years resolution is to cut down drastically..any suggestions?

I always got mad when people told me I needed to hit "rock bottom" before I would stop....nothing major has happened to me it has just been a long time coming...I guess everyone has their own reasons...you just need to find your reasons and don't feel like your low isn't low enough...you know why you want to cut down...that's all that matters...maybe just so you don't get those lows
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I'm the same way, the only major thing that happens when I drink is I feel yucky when I wake up but it goes away by noon and I never call in because of it, also it depresses me but not majorly so see I just don't want to drink cause I don't want to. Also I find I think about drinking alot more when I am trying not to drink!
      You always succeed if you never stop trying.
      Everyday we choose the direction of change.

Comment

I have to agree -- I don't want to hit "rock bottom" to live a sober life. Why should I? Like you guys, I haven't had any DWI's I haven't missed any work -- even my family members don't know I have a drinking problem (except my husband). I just don't like feeling the urge to drink every night and I don't like feeling depressed, dehydrated and bloated. In AA they call all the other things that will happen in the future "yets". So those haven't happened to me "yet" why should I keep going until they do???

Anyway, I feel great not drinking. This is the way I want to be.

Comment

Hi Fred!

Good point! There are plenty of us here who simply decided it was time for a change - a major change!

You asked for suggestions to curtail your evening drinking - well I know for a fact that substituting healthy behaviors really helps. Make a plan for yourself. Take a look in the https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html
          for good ideas. Distract yourself by taking up a hobby, going out for a walk, visit a friend, do a project around your home,etc. Do anything but drink!! That's what I did & I'm happy to be living a sober life

Wishing you the best!
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

hi fred thats a good plan,it seems you have a control, remember its when you lose the control,you start 2nd guessing, hav a great christmas,

Comment

Great post, Sheri.
              AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
              "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

I agree with Pride, great post Sheri and right on point!

Comment

Working...
                X