Dependency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dependency

Went for two AL assessment appointments last week. The AL worker said it was physical dependency. Slightly shocked, really. Starting one-to-ones in early Jan. A bit frightened as I'm not confident it is going to work.

Dependency

Why does it surprise you that it is called physical dependence? (it means addiction). That is exactly why it isn't easy to stop.
    Sunny

Comment

Dependency

Hi Recluse,

I found counselling really useful, and it is widely recognised as being helpful in treating addiction. Go in with an open mind and see what unfolds.
      sigpic
      AF since December 22nd 2008
      Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Dependency

Hi Recluse,
        It's a very good thing that you're doing.
        There's no shame in trying to improve your lot.
        I see a counsellor every couple of months and she's become a friend.
        Go with an open mind and don't be afraid to speak your mind. I'm guessing you'll learn a lot about yourself.
        Good luck.

Comment

Dependency

Rec, I was physically dep as well. You can get out of it. Now if I drink I get withdrawal after a few days - good incentive to stop. Not being funny but physically dependent is not something to be taken lightly.

Best wishes,
          K x
          Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Dependency

Hi Recluse,

You might find this link useful.
            SADQ Quiz

You're getting professional help, posting here, and being truthful about how much you're drinking. Whether you're aware of it or not, you've already started digging yourself out. Health and happiness to you! You truly have an opportunity for a "new" year.

xoxox Pride
            AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
            "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

Dependency

Hi Recluse, Pride has a great point, you have started the battle. There certainly is a lot of literature on the issue of alcohol abuse, alcoholism, types of addiction to alcohol etc. There are studies to back up each and everything it seems, and that makes it even more complicated to understand. You might get some understanding from reading about the issue, or reading posts in here.

I am not a doctor or therapist, but from my experience, dealing with alcohol addiction has had many components; and you may still experience these as well. Certainly the physical addiction, but also the mental addiction (linked with urges and habits and lifestyle), the social aspects of peer groups and learning life outside of our homes without booze. For me, I was surprised at the social component, for it brought a lot of anxiety I had not expected. Regardless of what "type" of addiction we are deemed to have, or feel we have, we have a battle to fight. We are here for you, you can do it.

Merry Christmas,
              Hill
              Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Dependency

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply.

I was surprised to be told that it was physical dependency as I thought it was psychological dependency or maybe emotional dependency. I was told that some of the indications of physical dependency were that I don't wake up with a hangover in the morning, and that I struggle to distinguish between drunkenness and sobriety Sheri, that was a very helpful post (thank you) and I agree with almost everything that you say. I would respectfully (and hopefully politely) disagree with you in one small respect. I think that if you have a hangover, it's your body's way of saying "no more, please!" If you don't have a hangover, it's maybe a sign that your body has adapted to the constant intake of alcohol, and is a possible indication of physical dependency. But thank you for replying and I really recognise the bit about not wanting to give up drinking. I have the same problem. I'm very sorry to hear about the serious consequences for your health. Wish you all the best too, and Happy Christmas to you and everyone here!

Comment

Dependency

Yeah, I only get a hangover when I go overboard, like once a month the past year. But mornings still suck.

I use the drowsiness of caffeine withdrawal to try to minimize the effects of alcohol withdrawal. But, now I'm down to one cup of coffee. Ouch.

I honestly can't remember my last AF day. Maybe sometime in the mid 90's.

Last night was Xmas Eve and I drank everyone under the table and still barely felt buzzed. Man, something has got to be wrong with that.

Comment

Dependency

Hi Sheri,

me and my big mouth! I hadn't realised that a hangover could consist of withdrawal symptoms as well as a "no more please" response. No offence intended. Very interesting article on biotypes. I'm not quite sure which type I am, possibly the Omega-6 EFA (Essential Fatty Acid) Deficient Chemistry type. Think it deserves a more thorough reading after Xmas.

All the best

Recluse

Comment

Working...
                    X