Positive attitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Positive attitude

Ironically, just received this email (source Mayo Clinic.) As many of us are looking to start "fresh" for the New Year I think there are some great points below

"Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it."
    ~ Lou Holtz

Healthy Lifestyle Tip: Head Into The New Year With The Right Attitude
    Researchers continue to explore the effects of positive thinking and optimism on health. The health benefits that positive thinking may provide include:
    • Increased life span
    • Lower rates of depression
    • Lower levels of distress
    • Greater resistance to the common cold
    • Better psychological and physical well-being
    • Reduced risk of death from cardiovascular disease

It's unclear why people who engage in positive thinking experience these health benefits. One theory is that having a positive outlook enables you to cope better with stressful situations, which reduces the harmful health effects of stress on your body. It's also thought that positive and optimistic people live healthier lifestyles – they get more physical activity, follow a healthier diet, and have reduced rates of smoking and [b]alcohol consumption.

Examples of how you might apply a positive twist include:

Negative self-talk Positive spin
    I've never done it before. - It's an opportunity to learn something new
    It's too complicated. - I'll tackle it from a different angle.
    I don't have the resources. - Necessity is the mother of invention.
    I'm too busy to get this done. - I wasn't able to fit it into my schedule but can re-examine some priorities.
    There's no way it will work. - I can try to make it work.
    It's too radical a change. - Let's take a chance.
    No one bothers to communicate with me. - I'll see if I can open the channels of communication.
    I'm not going to get any better at this. - I'll try again.

Source: Mayoclinic

Positive attitude

Exactly what I needed right now Sharky - thanks for that!!
    February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Positive attitude

LOVE it!
      "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
      NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Positive attitude

Thanks Sharky. Perfect way to end the year and start a new one -- with a positive attitude.

Comment

Positive attitude

Hi Sharky and thanks. A positive attitude works wonders! It takes consistent, even forced, self-discipline to maintain a positive attitude and replace/eliminate drowning negativity. Onward and upward I say, j
          Cuckoo for Cocoa Puff!!!

Comment

Positive attitude

Definitely something I believe in! Thanks for the re enforcement. The "thoughts are things" statement is so true. Let's all pick the good thoughts for our new year!

Comment

Positive attitude

Great post! It's good to be reminded to have a positive attitude.:h

Comment

Positive attitude

I'm all about positive thinking Sharky, great post
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Positive attitude

Great post, have you ever noticed that it is so much easier to be positive sober? Coming off a night of drinking, the negativity takes over. Sober seems to go along with positive and productive. Alcohol, a depressant, is a bottle of negative thoughts, so staying AF motivates us to stay positive.
                  Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

Positive attitude

Totally agree Star. I find sepecially on Monday mornings, feel negative depressed, angry with mysel - always because I drank on Sunday. When I don't drink on Sunday, I feel fantastic, positive and ready to be very proactive at work. You would think that one day I would truely learn this...

Comment

Positive attitude

It is amazing how when something makes us feel so much better (NOT drinking) we continue to go back to the poison of Alcohol.

That tells you what a truly addictive disease it is. Sharky, if you haven't already, you might want to look at Rational Recovery or Easy Way Out -- both of those books talk about how amazing it is when you think about how bad AL makes us feel that we continue to drink it!

Comment

Working...
                      X