Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jumping through January AF. . . .come join in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning jumpers! Everyone seams to be doing great! Good job on your Friday Mylife but don't let your gaurd down, I find when I make it through a hard night the next night will find me drinking as a reward for making it through the previous night so , for me, two nights in a row will be very hard then its easy again! We are all doing great! Well I'm going to eat breakfast and then to yoga for me! Later today a movie and a nap will round out my day. Have a great AF day all!
    You always succeed if you never stop trying.
    Everyday we choose the direction of change.

Comment

Good Morning January Jumpers, hope all are doing well
      Hay MyLife, i hear you on the bad sleeping from work stress, i once went 7 weeks were i would get to sleep about 11pm wake up every night at 1.30am, & then not get back to sleep till about 6am & i had to get up at 7am, it nearly killed me, (this was before my drinking), I am so glad now that I dont have a stressfull job, so the money may not be the same, but not having that stress is makes up for it, also I know that work stress was a big trigger for me.
      FireFox & Jude, I have read the Lovely Bones, it is such a sad storey, I havent seen the movie yet, keep meaning to get it out.

Thought for today - A craving wont kill me, but taking that 1st drink could -

have a great day guys, see you later
      XX
      *Witchy*
      Progress, not perfection!!!
      A craving wont kill me, but drinking could!!!

Comment

Hi everyone

Day 17 for me and its been going pretty well. I have been avoiding all situations with alcohol where I can but unfortunately, you can't stop Friday drinks in the office so I just left early. The benefits of having a job where you can start early and leave early. I am off to see the King's Speech tonight. Has anyone seen it? I have seen very good reviews for it.

Thru the second stage of the big clear out and it's going well. It's amazing how much useless stuff you can hoard. One more day and that should be all the unessential stuff gone. After that we have to start decorating.

I am going to book flights to NYC at the end of the month so I can start interviewing for jobs. It's all very exciting.

All this has been made possible by not drinking. I have more energy, my mind is clearer and my motivation is starting to come back. I forgot how good it feels to be sober. Long may it continue.

Wishing you all a fabulous Saturday evening - AF of course.

l x
        'Breakfast, every hour, it could save the world.' Tori Amos

"Turn a stumbling block into a stepping stone."

AF since 23rd December 2010 - progession is paramount! :truce:

"don't be sad because it's over, smile because it happened!"

Comment

Evening Jumpers my aren't we all doing well and that's the first week in January gone so a big pat on the back to everyone :goodjob:

I've had a wondeful day today and feel so energised, relaxed and optimistic, probably because I don't start work until next Wednesday - I know what you mean about the work related stress mylife At the moment though I am on holiday and the work thoughts can p**s off.

I'm off to read over the other threads and then a bubble bath with a book, can't beat it when the snow is falling and it's -4 outside.

Dewdrop :h
          Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

Just a quick fly by

Fabtastic thought witchy.

Thought for today - A craving wont kill me, but taking that 1st drink could -
            Loving those knobbly knees, Jude.

One of these Firday/Saturday nights we should start an AF disco thread ( gawd how old am I )

Cassia, the Kings Speech is getting rave reviews in all the papers sounds like a good un.

A big yooooooooooooooooo hooooooooooooooo to all the Jumpers

It could be worse, I could be filing.
            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Sorry Folks, I bounced right off the trampoline...

Off to mod-land for me

Bzz.

Comment

Oh no you don't bzzzzzzzzzzzzz,

Saw you on the other thread about breaking you promise. One thing I promised myself was no more more promises. It makes you feel absolutely crap when you break them.

You got yourself 7 days AF yesterday, so lets get you back to another 7 days. Don't try to think to far ahead it's a killer, break it down into smaller bites.

I afraid modding here means just 2 perhaps 3 drinks at a go.

OK back to day 1, then. Re-read the tool box. I'll try and find the urge surfing post for you. It's ace.
                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Found it:
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by A Work in Progress View Post
                  Urge surfing is an important and very helpful way to deal with cravings. Every urge, impulse, or craving has a natural progression. It starts at zero, and then suddenly we become aware that the wish, desire, craving, or impulse has arisen in our minds. It can continue to get stronger, once it has arisen. And, eventually, it will fade away (so long as we do not give in to it). This is ALWAYS true for any and every craving or impulse.

Sometimes we have the (very false) impression that cravings are SO strong and powerful, that they will never go away and we MUST give in to them. One way to deal with that is to make a conscious effort to step back (mentally) and observe the craving, as if from a slight distance. Ask yourself: what am I thinking, what are the words running through my mind? Where am I feeling this craving in my body? Observe how the sensations and thoughts become uncomfortable; observe what the messages are that you might be telling yourself; and observe how you will soon become distracted, and find that you are thinking about something else... because the craving has faded away.

Once you have done that several times, you will have a different perspective on cravings, and you will be much better able to resist them. And you can always use this method, any time you find yourself struggling, or getting into a mental argument about whether or not you should or could have a drink.
                  AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Bzz just because you jumped off never means you can not jump right back on and try again. On the December "Santa's sober sleigh" thread I feel off the sled a number of times but I ended December with 25 out of 31 days AF. Almost no one gets it right the first time they try to go AF but each time we understand more of what to do. One of the wise people on this site told me its like learning to ride a bike. Everyone falls the first several times and some get hurt but all get up and try again if they really want to ride that bike. Just because you fell off your bike does not mean you are banished to the mod threads only, just jump back in a see how many AF days you can rack up for January!
                    You always succeed if you never stop trying.
                    Everyday we choose the direction of change.

Comment

JackieClaire;1037936 wrote: Found it:
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by A Work in Progress View Post
                      Sometimes we have the (very false) impression that cravings are SO strong and powerful, that they will never go away and we MUST give in to them. One way to deal with that is to make a conscious effort to step back (mentally) and observe the craving, as if from a slight distance. Ask yourself: what am I thinking, what are the words running through my mind? Where am I feeling this craving in my body? Observe how the sensations and thoughts become uncomfortable; observe what the messages are that you might be telling yourself; and observe how you will soon become distracted, and find that you are thinking about something else... because the craving has faded away.

Once you have done that several times, you will have a different perspective on cravings, and you will be much better able to resist them. And you can always use this method, any time you find yourself struggling, or getting into a mental argument about whether or not you should or could have a drink.
                      I used this last night and it worked...and thanks Jenn for reminding me that I might get hit again tonight -- you're right these things tend to hit for 2 nights in a row. Luckily tonight I've got my 6-year old nephew for a "sleepover" at my house, so I'll be distracted.

Comment

Good Morning everyone. Hope you all had or are having a great sober sleep.
                        Happy sunday 9 days already done in January--Well they are in the UK anyway:h

Comment

Happy Sunday

Well it's white out here, looks beautiful and sun is shining but it's bloody freezing so I'm going nowhere today. Do you run in the snow anon?

Okay Bzzbee hope you are feeling a bit better this morning and ready to get back on the wagon - you don't get off that easy mate The first fall doesn't mean you give up okay ? I managed to get through my first week by only thinking ODAT and some days that was just one minute at a time or one half hour at a time it can be a bit of a white knuckle ride at times. I had to take some days of work because that was a trigger for me, learn what your triggers are and do anything you can to avoid them in the beginning. The advice is to get at least 30 days AF before attempting to mod and many of the more experienced on here recommend at least 90 days. Its your life and your decision and you know best what works for you and everyone navigates their own path through this. Good luck but don't ever give up because we would miss you :l

Off to have a cruise around the boards.

Dewdrop :h
                          Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

Morning guys!

Dew, thanks for the great advice as always. I think it sounds beautiful in Scotland and would love to go there. I've been to the UK numerous times for work but never made it to Scotland - however since I'm a warm weather girl maybe in the summer.

I'm up bright and early today with my 6-year old nephew. We're watching cartoons and I'm making coffee. SO glad to be hangover free!! Have a wonderful AF day all.

Comment

Good morning Sweaters!! Hope everyone is in good form - Mylife, if you're a warm weather girl steer clear of these bloody islands oh actually it was warm once in 1976, I remember it well
                              As lots of you know I've been having family difficulties. Now that I've cleared my head a bit I just wanted to post where I'm at. My hubs and I have decided to sort of 'go our own ways' without actually going anywhere if you know what I mean. Financially I don't earn enough to pay rents etc. so we are both staying here, but more as 'flatmates'. We also have a 16 yr old who needs stability for another while - tho that is not the reason I'm staying - the toxicity in this house was appalling for him. I'm not blaming my hubs, his personality is a 'control freak' and took my 'problem drinking' on as his problem, to be dealt with by him. That was never going to work. My mind would look for opportunities to be 'bold'!! This weekend he has gone out and done his own thing, so I've been here alone a lot - previously MAD trigger to drink. Not a notion at the moment, cos all of a sudden this is my choice, not his.
                              Anyhow, just wanted to get that out so onwards and upwards girls
                              Molly
                              Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                              contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Molly darlin :l im so sorry to hear this, I had no idea it was as bad as this, maybe it will blow over? You have both been through so much and it seems a pity to give up when you have finally found sobriety. Whatever happens I hope you can both deal with it with love and respect for one another.

Im never going to learn :no: had to briefly see my ex this morning and no matter how much I try not to, I still love him so much :upset: I told him I want to go home and he will try and help me get some cash together for the move. We have been apart for 7 years and I know there is no way back, we're not the same people we were so I do understand if you guys have grown apart.

Sending you much love and my BIGGEST HUG :l
                                "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                                AF - JAN 1st 2010
                                NF - May 1996

Comment

Working...
                                X