Puff the magic dragon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puff the magic dragon

Is it normal to be puffy in the face and body on day 4? I've been drinking so much water so maybe that has a lot to do with it. Can't quench this thirst at all! I've done up to 6 days AF before and this didn't happen last time. Then again, my drinking has been pretty epic in it's intake on a few occasions recently.

I'm still taking my supps so I hope it isn't them making me billow out. Most strange - I hope it goes away soon. Anyone have any experiences of this in the early days, or know how long it might take to go away?

Had a frustrating and nasty day 3 - couldn't seem to keep my anger in check and blew up at my daughter over coleslaw... cuetips... wow. Not a nice person to be around right now. Smoking like a crazy woman too. Yuck!

The supps have quenched some of the cravings, but this anger and puffy situation is not pretty at all. Advice or reasurrances I won't end up like Violet Beauregarde would be much appreciated!
    I was made with a heart of stone
    To be broken
    With one hard blow
    I've seen the ocean
    Break on the shore
    Come together with no harm done...
    Jane's Addiction ~ Ocean Size

Puff the magic dragon

Hi Oceanside - being a grumpy bitch is a normal side effect and there are some great tips in the tool box about urge surfing which may help.
    It took a couple of weeks for my bloatedness to go down but are you saying this has just appeared since you quit? Cause that does seem unusual You say you are very thirsty, have you increased your salt intake or something? Keep drinking lots of water or herbal teas and maybe try to space them out more. SOrry i'm not much help and well done on day 4! :goodjob:
    "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
    AF - JAN 1st 2010
    NF - May 1996

Comment

Puff the magic dragon

Well I've actually just started day 4 (couldn't sleep a wink and it's now 6am here). I have had that usual swelling you get after a big night on the booze many a time, but I seem to be looking puffier today. I haven't been eating anything salty, but I did have 2 pretty strong coffees on the morning of day 3 and a red bull throughout the day that may not have helped. The red bull left me feeling very antsy so I'll be steering well clear of that for a while I think.

I am ridiculously thirsty and can't get enough water into me right now. It just doesn't seem to want to come out!

Grumpy bitch doesn't come close to my diabolical temper yesterday. My poor kid just took to her room and stayed out of my hair after the cuetip fiasco. Laughable now, but I flew into a rage over a couple cuetips on the floor! Last time I went AF I had the same temper and also felt like I was getting a really bad dose of the flu. I think the supps and vitamins are helping to not make me feel so physically lousy this time around...

You are a help, so thanks for your advice
      To be broken
      With one hard blow
      I've seen the ocean
      Break on the shore

Comment

Puff the magic dragon

oceansize,

Have you ever tried a natural diuretic such as apple cider vinegar? You can drop 2 tablespoons into a glass of water or use it on salad, etc. It does help
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Puff the magic dragon

The grumpiness goes away after you can stop white knuckling it. Have you been taking L-Glut? Have you been to a doctor? The thirsty thing is a sign of diabetes but that would go along with very frequent urination. Don't worry to much I am just spit balling ideas. If it last more that the weekend I would go see your GP on Monday or sooner if any other symtoms pop up. Hang in there you are doing great!:goodjob::l
          You always succeed if you never stop trying.
          Everyday we choose the direction of change.

Comment

Puff the magic dragon

Hi Oceanside, good job on day 4. Jennyneric hit on the same thought I had regarding your thirst. Gobbling sugary snacks is another sign to be aware of. Dandelion root extract is an amazing diuretic and also a powerful liver detoxifier.

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Puff the magic dragon

Oceanside, you do make me laugh - I love your turn of phrase!

i don't know your drinking history but I will tell you two things.

Once when I did detox (supervised and all), my foot/ankle swelled up in a VERY scary way - as in you couldn't define where my ankle was at all - it was just one thick trunk down to the sole of my foot. The detox staff said it was excess protein - it's caused by the liver and a processing problem. It does go away.

Secondly, just because you haven't experienced a certain symptom before when withdrawing doesn't mean anything. Each time you do withdrawl it gets worse usually, or just so0metimes different. For example a few withdrawals ago, my feet went completely numb. Now I'm used to that for maybe a day. The worst of it lasted a week and it took about 3 weeks for total feeling to return to my toes etc. I was terrified I had caused myself peripheral neuropathy.

You have given your liver and pancreas a bashing and they are having a bit of trouble processing at the moment. It's just your body warning you its not happy. Definitely ask if you have unusual symptoms, but don't panic too much as its quite normal for your body to do weird things when you detox.

All the best and do keep posting Violet Beauregard!
              K x
              Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Puff the magic dragon

Ocean it's really weird.....but" Puff the Magic Dragon" sung by Peter,Paul & Mary had an underground movement that believed the song was about smoking grass........Never the less......keep up the good fight Ocean....their is a Herbal that you can take to help you take the edge off...."Evening Primrose Oil"....try it Tony
                ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                Dr. Seuss

Comment

Puff the magic dragon

Aw, what a cool bunch. I'm not panicking about it, just feeling rather full figured (which isn't always a bad thing), it's more the face that is looking like I have a slight dose of mumps at the mo. Tr?s sexy!

Still haven't managed to have a lot of sleep, and the possibility of getting more doesn't look promising for the next few hours. I currently have a house full of 14 year old girls squealing along to Guitar Hero in my loungeroom and now I am the one forced to retreat to the safety of the bedroom! HELLISH! KARMA FOR YESTERDAY!

Lav No I've not tried that, but when I mentioned the puffy sitch to my Mum she mentioned trying lemon/lime and mint in water with milk thistle. Would this have a similar effect being acidic and working with the milk thistle do you think?

Jennyneric & RC I am taking L-Glut and I love it. Seems to be working wonders for the cravings and just makes me feel more centered in my resolve not to go up and buy a bottle. I take GABA too before bedtime, but I didn't last night as my frustration saw me cleaning the house at all hours. Might be the culprit for the sleeplessness I think. I don't have diabetes thank all the gods - had a blood test a few weeks ago which showed elevated liver enzymes so I reckon a few of you that mentioned the liver taking a hammering and needing its time to sort things are dead on correct.

Kimberly
                  thanks so much for your experience. Sorry to hear about the foot swelling and numbness you've experienced. Scary stuff. You are right that this time around is pretty different to the last attempt in a number of ways. Nothing that has me too alarmed though.

IAD
                  that was one of my fave songs when I was a littl'un and I never have heard that factoid before. Wouldn't surprise me at all that people sat about in hippy circles smoking bowls to that tune! I'll grab some Evening Primrose oil on my next shopping trip and give that a try. Thanks!

Sorry for the length guys, seems I write novels on every post!!!

Violet :H
                  To be broken
                  With one hard blow
                  I've seen the ocean
                  Break on the shore

Comment

Puff the magic dragon

Had an awesome sleep and feel great. Having a nice easy going Saturday night watching some movies with the girlies (Snakes on a Plane & Tropic Thunder) so in for some laughs.

I woke up and had my L-Glut and then some crumbed lemon herb John Dory fish with a HUGE red cabbage, spinach and rocket salad and some chilled lemon water about an hour later. Feeling great! Such a 360 from yesterday's aggro and earlier tiredness. Wow.

Hope everyone is faring well this weekend. This is my first weekend alcohol free in so long I can't recall.

Thanks again to everyone for support and advice - not sure I'd have stuck this out to go on to day 5 tomorrow without you. This forum is really special! :heart:
                    To be broken
                    With one hard blow
                    I've seen the ocean
                    Break on the shore

Comment

Puff the magic dragon

Sheri I had about 6 lemons squeezed in water yesterday and today I feel quite good. I'm even de-puffing! Just made up a new batch and have had my B vitamins and milk thistle. With all that and the supps I'm gonna be rattling soon I'm so full of little pills and powders.

For anyone interested I've made a thread under the Tell Your Story area to kind of keep a day-by-day of how I progress: In Between Days. Felt it might be helpful to write stuff down, not only for me but anyone else lurking who is in the early days too.
                      To be broken
                      With one hard blow
                      I've seen the ocean
                      Break on the shore

Comment

Working...
                      X