New and question about getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so happy to write to say that I found a doctor that would prescribe Topamax for me. My family doctor wasn't willing to do it but I found a psychiatrist that would.

I held my breath during the appointment worried that she wouldn't go through it. I bit my tongue when she talked about addicts and wondered why I am not interested in attending AA.

But, she did give me two prescriptions - one for 25 mg and another for 100 mg so I can titrate up.

My question to the experienced folks here is should I go ahead and start on the Topamax when I can pick it up tomorrow or should I wait until I receive the hypnotherapy CD's and supplements? I still need to get those.

I'm so excited to get started. The My Way Out book resonated so much with me. I could totally relate to what I was reading. It made me feel good to read that I am not a bad person because I can't stop with one or two glasses of wine.

I'm so eager to get rid of the shame of drinking one plus bottles of wine a night.

I really appreciate everyone's input!

Hi Mariesc and welcome. I am sorry that I can't help you with your questions about Topomax. It is great that you are excited to start this battle. Read and write lots, there are many caring and kind people here who can help you.

Many of us here, cannot stop after a drink or two, and that is why we are also fighting the battle to control alcohol, and not the other way around. All the best,
    Hill
    Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

hey mariesc,
      welcome. your enthusiasm will serve you well! check out the forum on medications, a few below this one on the community home page thingy. do a search if necessary, and i bet you'll find out lots. or, just start your own thread w that very question you asked above. (i'd advise but know nothin on the subj.)

all the best to you. stick around. it has helped me and so many keep alcohol kicked to the curb where it belongs.
      rudyb

Comment

Hi Mariesc,

Welcome to MWO, this is a good place!

I don't have any personal experience with Topomax either, you can find that discussion on the meds section.

In my case, reading the book, making a firm commitment to myself to quit drinking, making a good plan using the info in the https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html & listening to the CDs worked gor me I used my own supplements because I have to be careful about allergies. Everyone does things a little differently but that's OK. I had a bottle or more/day wine habit at the end of my drinking career too & that had to stop!

Visiting the website daily & posting in the Newbies Nest really helped me feel supported & not so alone on my journey.

I'm glad you found us & you've made a great decision to take control of your life.
        Wishing you the best on your journey!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Mariesc,

The old African proverb said the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago and the second best time is today. If you are motivated don't wait for the CD's, go for it now!
          2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

allswell;1045028 wrote: Hi Mariesc,

The old African proverb said the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago and the second best time is today. If you are motivated don't wait for the CD's, go for it now!
            Love that quote allswell!

:welcome: Marisec! I can't agree more that there's no time like the present to get started. As the other things arrive (CD's) etc. they can only serve to reinforce your success with this goal!

Please read and post lots -- I personally feel the reading and sharing serve the same purpose as AA -- a community of support. Good luck!

Comment

mylife;1045029 wrote: Love that quote allswell!

:welcome: Marisec! I can't agree more that there's no time like the present to get started. As the other things arrive (CD's) etc. they can only serve to reinforce your success with this goal!

Please read and post lots -- I personally feel the reading and sharing serve the same purpose as AA -- a community of support. Good luck!
              Great stuff. Good reminders, Allswell and mylife! Thanks for that, much appreciated!

Good luck, MarieSC! Keep in touch, check in lots and let us know how you're doing!

Comment

Working...
              X