new guy saying hi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new guy saying hi

Well, I'm feeling a bit more hopeful and optimistic. I made it through two hours of socializing in a tavern with a bunch of people, completely AF, and I didn't sit there and feel sorry for myself at all. Joined in the chats, etc, then left early as I'd planned.

One step at a time, one day at a time, right?! yes!
    Resisting all Magical Thinking...one day at a time

Comment

new guy saying hi

Well done Red, i always make sure i am driving to events like that, no-one ever gives you a hard time for not drinking cause your driving, its the perfect excuse.
      keep up the good work, have you read "the Secret" I found it helped me
      *Witchy*
      Progress, not perfection!!!
      A craving wont kill me, but drinking could!!!

Comment

new guy saying hi

Hey Red, great job. The entire social aspect of going sober was one that I really did not focus much on prior to going sober. It is a very tough part of the battle. You have taken a great first step in that regard. Like Witchy says, there are excuses we can give, if we choose to not tell everyone we are sober. I often say I am trying to get healthy, drop some pounds, things like that. Keep up the good work,
        Hill
        Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

new guy saying hi

RedJib;1045307 wrote:

Started GABA and L-glut a couple of days ago (1 gr each daily, divided). No noticeable difference but it's early days. What discourages me is that poor sleep weakens my resolve, I know my pattern.

Jib
          Hi Redjib

I've been taking 3x1000g of L-Glut and 1000 (2x 500mg capsules) of GABA with B vitamins every day and it has made a huge improvement on my mood and my ability to avoid drinking.

I take the L-Glut 3 times a day an hour before each major meal (take your B vitamins in the day time). I take the GABA only at night because it tends to make me sleepy (taking B vitamins at night will keep you up).

If you are having trouble sleeping have you tried melatonin? It works and it isn't habit forming.

Best of luck
          I was made with a heart of stone
          To be broken
          With one hard blow
          I've seen the ocean
          Break on the shore
          Come together with no harm done...
          Jane's Addiction ~ Ocean Size

Comment

new guy saying hi

I have the opposite problem in that I sleep so deeply AF that I don't want to get up. However, some people on here have said they have persistent sleep problems. There's a cherry drink with melatonin in that's supposed to help you sleep. I use a herbal tea, called Relaxing tea and that seems to help me get to sleep.
            However, I'd suggest you don't worry too much about it. You look and feel better on a few hours sleep than you did blacking out and sleeping all night. And you're obviously sticking to your resolve. :goodjob:

One thing that made me stop this time was a description in a book. The book was about a Aussie woman who live in France for 6 months. She mentioned some English journalists who wrote a paper ostensibly to help British people living in France, but which belittled almost everything about living in France. Her wry comment was that the photo of these journalists with their "bright faces and rheumy eyes" suggested that there was one aspect of French living that they clearly enjoyed (meaning the wine). That description struck me as the face that looked back at me most evenings. Now its my eyes that are bright and if my face is at all rosy it's because I've actually remembered to remove my make up and cleanse it in the evening.

Celebrate your good health and try not to worry about lack of sleep. Your body is in better shape than it was when you were unconscious all night and your liver will thank you.

Comment

new guy saying hi

dancingon, you are so right. I took my bp and heart rate this morning. 110/60 and 60 bpm. I haven't had normal values like that for more years than I can remember. Dunno about liver; haven't had that tested (and I rarely discuss my AL use with my doc.

You're also right about 'tired' being a whole lot better than hungover! Thanks for those encouraging reminders.

jib
              Resisting all Magical Thinking...one day at a time

Comment

Working...
              X