Hi there!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there!

Hi everyone, :new: I don't really know where to start, I have been drinking too much for so long (probably 20 years) and I have tried to quit on many occasions and I have truly come to the end of my tether with it all, my husband is sick of me (although is standing by me) and I am sick of myself as I am, I really need support from people who understand and I am hoping that someone here will be able to help me :upset: I am not confident in my ability to be abstinent but I am going to give it my all!!
    Taking it ODAT

Hi there!

Welcome

Hi mauritiusdodo

A big :welcome:. I can say from my less than a month experience that you have reached a right place. The people, posts, support are all amazing here. You will be amazed by the responses you get for your post seeking out help.

All the best and welcome to the Al free world of clarity, energy, happiness.......

Akasoto
    sigpic

Comment

Hi there!

Just wanted to pop by and say :welcome: dodo (great name btw!)

Read, read, read what others are saying and post, post, post for advice or to vent or share your experiences or whatever.

It is important to have a plan for not drinking - do you have one? Eg, Do you need a detox? Will you take meds or supplements to help you? What will you do about cravings? Do you have enough of a support network? Do you plan to try moderation? (most serious alcoholics can't, as a warning)

Have a look at the Tool box thread - I'm sure someone will post the link if you can't find it.

Good luck,
      K x
      Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Hi there!

Welcome Mauritiusdodo,

Have a look around the boards and know that you are certainly not alone and many, many people have been or are where you are right now. Don't let the wake row the boat, not being able to quit in the past doesn't mean you can't or won't be successful. As mentioned above, clarity and happiness await.
        2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Hi there!

Babe, if i can do it, you can do it
          One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

Hi there!

Hi Maur, and welcome. It is great news that you realise it is time to stop. Like you, I had drank way too much for decades, and I almost lost my wife, my kids... Are you on day one? I quit cold turkey, and got through it (with the help of the awesome and caring people here). Like Change says, if we can do it, so can you.

Tell us a little more about how much, and how often you drink. Now remember, it is very hard work to fight this evil enemy of alcohol, but it is so worth it. You can do it, but it is not easy. For now, one day at a time sober.

Hill
            Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Hi there!

Thanks for all the replies it is good to know that there is somewhere to come and chat to people who understand. I drink almost every night (never during the day) although I didn't drink for 10 months whilst I was pregnant (my son is 17 months old) I drink anywhere from a bottle of wine to two bottles but never less than that, I have managed to have at least one alcohol free day a week since Christmas and last week it was four days which I was really pleased with! I know that I can't just cut down or drink lets say once a week which was my OH's suggestion, I need to quit completely because I have no control over my alcohol consumption once I start - I just have to drink it all unless fall asleep first!! :blush:
              Taking it ODAT

Comment

Hi there!

Hi hunni.
                You've come to the right place. We're all here for you and will support you. I always say the first thing to do is to get rid of all the AL in the house and come up with a plan on how you're going to keep away from the AL even when it's calling... and it will.. Loudly! Try keep as busy as you can to keep your mind occupied.

Comment

Hi there!

hi again
                  (i just replied to your other thread)
                  hearing that you have a 17 month old struck a chord w me, as i didn't drink during pregnancy but hopped back into the awful cycle w al when my son was 8 months old. he's now just over 4 yrs old and i have 21 days sober. i am so much happier in general, and so much happier with MYSELF in particular, since i stopped drinking. (i was at a pint of vodka a few times a week, tolerance so high i felt "just right", not drunk. eek!) if i could change one thing, it would be to have stopped SOONER! i hate -though i'm slowly letting it go- that my son smelled booze on my breath so often from such a young age. i wonder if it has hard-wired a positive association for him btwn alcohol and mommy and happy comfy feelings (i was always a sweet drunk, thus, it's possible). i hate those missed moments with him. my marriage fell apart, partly because of al. i can't go back and re-do it, but i am so very grateful that i have found it in me to be a sober -and MUCH happier- mom. i wish for you a speedy jump into the new life that not drinking will offer. may you suffer NO regrets about your early days with your new human companion!
                  also, i know it can be so hard when they're young. you might feel alone, bored, overwhelmed. i encourage you, as others and myself already have, to find things to do for YOUR enjoyment. you'll need specifics to help kick al out of your space. good luck. keep posting. i find that it helps mucho!
                  rudyb

Comment

Hi there!

Hi MD

Welcome! It's easy to recognise that you are unhappy with your drinking but hard to actually do something about it so well done for taking the initiative and joining MWO.

I have found that everyone here is supportive and non judgmental which is HUGE for me. We are all here for the same reasons - we wanted to stop drinking. Our consumptions and reasons might be different but we all have the same goal. And we want to help you achieve yours so please lean on us for support.

Lots of good advice here about having a plan. I found that by identifying my triggers early, I could effectively deal with them before they became an issue. Have a think about your trigger points and what you can do to get past them.

Otherwise, it's one day at a time - just get through today and see what tomorrow brings and tackle it. Sobriety is a priority in my life so it means turning down after drink works (which i love), not going to functions where i could be tempted (have to miss my mate's hen night), and being on guard. It's hard work but boy it has been worth it!

Good luck and I look forward to getting to know you.

L x
                    'Breakfast, every hour, it could save the world.' Tori Amos

"Turn a stumbling block into a stepping stone."

AF since 23rd December 2010 - progession is paramount! :truce:

"don't be sad because it's over, smile because it happened!"

Comment

Hi there!

hi and :welcome: glad you've found us. there is lots of info and great support and advice here. keep reading lots and posting. i hope you get what you need here.
                      Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                      Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Hi there!

Hi Mauri,

I just replied to you on the newbie's nest. Thank you for sharing your story, we are all here to support and learn from each other. I have been AF for 16 days now...I also drank copious amounts of wine every night for many years. I thought I could never break the habit until I came to MWO specifically. It has been a life changing experience for me. Just keep coming here, every day, a few times a day if you need to. That's what got me through the first 2 weeks. I look forward to getting to know you better. Meanwhile, stay strong and take good care of yourself.
                        Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                        :h

Comment

Hi there!

Hi Maur

Welcome to MWO. we are all glad you are here. It's a great place for support during your AF journey. I have been AF for 23 days now and I find I have learned a lot about myself over the past few weeks. My trigger point is between 5 and 7 pm every night. If i can get past this time I am good for the rest of the evening. What has really helped me is reading the posts from other people in the afternoon before my trigger time. It really helps me in reinforcing my decision to be AF and gets me through my tough times.

Good luck..... Read lots and post lots.... We are all here together.

Jim
                          I would rather have a frontal labotomy than a bottle in-front-of-me.

AF since Oct 23,2013

I watched this and found it incredibly empowering.....
                          http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

Comment

Hi there!

:welcome: You have found a good place for support. Seems the first week or two was very hard for most of us. Cravings, crankiness, feeling out of it...I kept telling myself I want to break through this terror and NEVER feel this way again. So far so good (21 days today!)

The Urge Surfing technique in the Toolbox section worked really well for me along with the GABA and L-Glutamine supplements. Detoxing gave me anxiety that the GABA calmed in 10 to 15 minutes when I took it.

As others have said read and post and stay as strong as you can!
                            AF Since January 02, 2011

Everything's nice when you're covered with ice, then you open your eyes and it's one big lie.
                            ? Walter Lure, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers

Comment

Hi there!

Hi again everyone, thanks for all the warm welcomes, well today is the day, I have spent the last couple of days soul searching and trying to prepare for giving up and don't really know if I have acheived anything except I do have two new hobbies lined up which i am hoping will distract me and keep me too busy for drinking - signed up to learn Mehndi (henna art) at a class on a Thursday morning and ordered some crochet supplies from Amazon to teach myself am looking forward to both!

I am going to be sober from today!!!!
                              Taking it ODAT

Comment

Working...
                              X