first success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first success

I sing on the weekends with a guy who drinks 8 glasses of wine minimum and a crowd of dancing sweating drunk people all falling all over the place around me, and this is where I have normally come undone during my last 8 months of trying to quit.
    I'm stuck there on stage working, so I cant not be around it. I used to have a couple to loosen up my voice and perform better, then I would keep going.
    But last night I got through it with an energy drink and water and a tonne of positive energy. I looked around at this huge nightclub filled with people falling all over the floor and dropping drinks and swaying and saying stupid sh*t, and I felt SO proud. Not just of me (cos it's early days yet) but of everyone who is on this site. Everyone who is here and wants not to be there anymore.
    That decision alone is huge.
    So share my happiness at getting over this first hurdle, and know you can do it too. the support here is beautiful xx

first success

:happy: Good for you Nik!
    Yes, you can do it
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

first success

Good for you, Nik! It's quite the feeling to have a clear head whilst everyone around you is in a drunken stupor.

Comment

first success

Thank you Nik P that was a great story! I will share in your happiness, I need to borrow someone elses happiness tonight as I am having a little coming up with my own. Great job!
        You always succeed if you never stop trying.
        Everyday we choose the direction of change.

Comment

first success

Hi Nik,
          Very well done.
          You just showed yourself that you can get through a worknight without alcohol. Noticing the behaviour of other, less fortunate souls, filling themselves with the stupid-juice really is an eye-opener too.

Comment

first success

Singing for you nik, well done.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

first success

Well done you - brilliant.
              Success is knowing when to sit back and enjoy the moment

Comment

first success

Hey Nik! Well done!
                Isnt it such an empowering feeling to break old habits! I always find watching drunk people reconfirms why I am trying to resolve my drink problem...we dont want to be drunk do we.
                Great job. x
                Be strong-
                We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
                Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

first success

Hey Nikp, congratulations on jumping that difficult mental hurdle. You should really be proud of yourself. The hurdles will keep coming, some higher some lower, but you can do it. Keep up the great work,
                  Hill
                  Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

first success

Congrats Nik on your first major hurdle! The confidence that comes with that feels sooooo good.

onward and upward!
                    AF/SF - November 23, 2014

Comment

first success

I used to play bass in a band and all we did was drink. Drink during band practice, drink before the gig, drink during the gig, go to a party after the gig. In that prior life I would have found it very difficult not to be sucked in by the free flow of alcohol. Congratulations on pulling through and not letting all the BS get in your way.
                      2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

first success

That's great!! Did you find your voice was any better for not drinking?? You did great!!

Comment

first success

thank you all so much
                          I love the earlier comment "stupid juice" haha.
                          i am one week sober and this is my first Monday without a hangover so bad I am in bed all day. Sunday used to be my party night. I'm really convinced that this is it!!

allswell: In the 90's we had a drink rider (a huge tub with bottle of vodka, champagne, case of beer wine and mixers) . Times have changed, but that would be where it started, I would walk off stage and the stage guy would hand me a lit cigarette and a beer. (I'm a girl BTW) Too funny.
                          Ll Michelle. I used to think the alcohol made me sing better. But I sung great! I used energy and focus instead.
                          soo happppy. giving some of that to others who are quitting xx:l

Comment

first success

well done, its an awesome empowering feeling, when you know you are the one beating the drink, not the other way around.
                            *Witchy*
                            Progress, not perfection!!!
                            A craving wont kill me, but drinking could!!!

Comment

first success

Great story Nik! Funny, but for some insane reason I never realized the performers drank that much in those places. I thought they had to be sober to sing and it was just the rest of us who got sloshed. You must feel so proud of yourself and so great not to be one of those bumbling drunks you saw this weekend :goodjob:

Comment

Working...
                              X