Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do I feel like I have lost something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mauritiusdodo;1047501 wrote: If giving up alcohol is what I want to do then why do I feel like I am going to be missing out? I feel so sad like this is the end of any fun I am going to have even though I know it is ridiculous, I loved drinking (sad though it sounds) and I feel like I am going to be deprived of something that makes me happy, please someone tell me this is my addiction making me feel like this and that I WILL be happy without alcohol eventually? I feel so pathetic that alcohol is so important to me, I know it isn't normal!
    I am so happy that you posted this! I have felt the very same way and well, unfortunately I didn't get much back in the way of posts, to let me know if someone else felt the same way.

I too still feel this way. I can't explain why, I don't understand it, but I wanted to let you know, you aren't alone. :l
    AF July 6 2014

Comment

Thank you lavande I have bookmarked the site and will have a good read when DS is napping later
      Taking it ODAT

Comment

christyacc;1047933 wrote: I am so happy that you posted this! I have felt the very same way and well, unfortunately I didn't get much back in the way of posts, to let me know if someone else felt the same way.

I too still feel this way. I can't explain why, I don't understand it, but I wanted to let you know, you aren't alone. :l
        Hi there Christy, I am glad you replied to my post, and that someone does understand (although feel bad for you that you do IYKWIM?) look forward to getting to know you
        Taking it ODAT

Comment

what your feeling is normal. Most of us here felt that way at some point. I even feel that way still sometimes and i'm sober for 3 months (ish). From reading some of your recent posts tho... it doesn't sound that AL is infact making you happy.. It sounds as if it's ruining you and hurting your family. When you quit drinking AL will do its best to play mind games with you and you need tostand your ground and tell the thoughts to F*** OFF! AL is a liquid.. it doesn't love you, look out for you, look after you, it's not good for you... You're family and you are all the above and you keep reminding yourself of that.

Comment

Thank you LilMichelle, you are right it IS ruining my life, my looks, my personality in fact everythiing, it is soooo bizarre how I can still want something that is destroying me I am staying strong though
            Taking it ODAT

Comment

Hi Mauri, I think many of us feel what you are feeling. Like you, I enjoy drinking. For sure I miss it. However, as my sober time grows, so does my perspective. I don't miss it nearly as much as I did. I hope you will feel that too in time.

Remember that it takes a month or so of no booze, for your body to get used to not having the poison in it. The is a tough row to hoe, so hang in there. Fighting the urges this month is very difficult. It takes another month or so, for your body to go back to "normal", living with no booze. These two months are difficult psychologically, and physiologically. If it wasn't so hard, many more people would stop drinking when it became a problem. After about 6 months of sobriety, your perspective will most likely really shift, your new habits and lifestyle will feel good, and you will not miss the drinking in the same way.

Hang in there. Your sober life can become something that you would never want to give up. You can do it.

Hill
              Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Thanks hillside, I know it will be tough but I am determined this time will be the last time I quit!
                Taking it ODAT

Comment

mauritiusdodo;1047755 wrote: That is just how I feel, I wasn't even enjoying drinking any more really, had heartburn and indigestion half the time and didn't even get a 'buzz' out of it, just drank it all as quickly as possible and then fell asleep mostly why on earth did i feel the need?
                  That's the craziness of the whole thing! My final months of drinking were nothing but "grim". There was no enjoyment, only gritty determination to continue - out of habit. Once you begin getting even a small amount of sobriety under your belt, you can see how crazy it is.

Comment

Me too feeling a bit lost without the usual drink after work!

This is my first time here. had a great first week AF as I started on Camral (my keyboard not working right. Felt soooo good and healthy but it is more dealing with the habit, not yearning for a drink, which has been going on for at least 12 years. Both my husband and I got home tonight knowing we both didnt want to have a drink but couldnt for the life of us think what else to do as we have been doing this for sooo long. Hence we went through all the guilt stuff and bought a bottle of wine and now bloody hitting on irish coffees while watching an Australia day concert on tv. We did have dinner which usually is a hit and miss affair.

I know a sober life and I didnt really hit the bottle til i was about 4o years old when my first husband died and i got involved with a really heavy drinker. But no excuse will get me out of my dilemma today and i know i want my sober life back. would really like to belong here as i feel everyone is so honest.

Comment

hi missabby, me and me DH are the same (although he doesn't really have a problem with al ) we talk each other into having a drink (then a takeaway :blush but I know this time I am going to do it as my drinking has started to really affect our relationship and I often drink to excess on my own whilst he looks on sadly This forum is great, I have only just found it too, look forward to getting to know you
                      Taking it ODAT

Comment

Working...
                      X