Worse than hungover? maybe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've made it to Day 11, and am trying the suggestions for sleep listed here. L-glut, GABA, melatonin, even a prescrip (ambien), but they're not keeping me asleep. It's discouraging. I really thought this would all be better by now, and I'd be waking up feeling good in the morning. Instead, I'm just dragging myself around, not much different than before I stopped AL. I'm not ready to give up, but getting closer maybe. This sucks. (sorry, I know that sounds like 'pity me,' but what can I say. I feel a bit pathetic.)
    Resisting all Magical Thinking...one day at a time

Augh - no sleep is the worst. Took me two weeks to get a decent night sleep. It was a catch 22 for me. I was tired, but then would worry that I would not get to sleep, then of course I qould not sleep! I have never been a good sleeper though. The best thing that I found (for me at least) is not to drink too much water before bed, take a calcium supplement and read. Then I am out. I should exercise because if you do that regularly it helps sleep - but I don't have two damn seconds to spare in my life lately (I know, excuses, excuses!) I found that prescriptions make me sleep for a few hours, then I am wide awake. Meds have a weird effect on me in every way so I try to stay clear. And you don't sound like a pity party - not sleeping is worse than any hangover. It will pass. Try not to think about it so much. Everyone is different. I certainly hope you can get some Zzzz's!
    February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Please don't give in! I think you just need to give it a little more time. I know sleep is important but honestly - the wonderful feeling I have at the beginning of my day (even if I don't have a greats night sleep), is enough to not make me go back. Maybe try the ambien for a little while longer (can't help you there - never taken it), or just try sticking to one or two of the suggestions for a whole 7 days and then see how you feel.

Don't know if you are a tee drinker but someone here suggested celestial seasonings sleepytime vanilla tea - I have a cup before I go to bed every night and it really seems to do the trick!

Good luck and please hang in there! We are all here for you.:l
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

It can take a while but it is soooo worth it. Hang in there.
        Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
        :h

Comment

Red dont give up. Your body is freaking out but it will subside eventuelly. It took me a good month till I was sleeping like a baby.
          Be strong-
          We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
          Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

Hello love have you tried Lunexor? it contains a drug called Phenibut, you'll sleep like a baby the first time but you grow pretty tolerant to it pretty quick, its said to be more effective then some prescription sleep medication (its not prescription you can just buy it online) do some research on it anyway, it knocked me! Ambesleep has had alot of positive reviews too. Good luck.
            sigpic
            Where ever you go, there you are

Comment

Hello Red, I completely sympathize because if I don't get sleep I'm useless.

I have heard melatonin and herbal teas really help. Also, you might want to try the hypnosis CD's they put me to sleep every time...not sure that was the objective but they did! And I agree with the others you should give your body a little more time to readjust to not being artifically "knocked out" by alcohol every night.

Hang in there, it will get better!

Comment

Thankyou all for the encouraging words. My logical brain knows that this sleep problem will get resolved, and I need to be patient and stick to my goal, AF, no matter what, one day at a time. But when I'm so tired I can't think sensibly, well... it's exactly that: I can't think!

I went back and read over your suggestions and realized that I've never tried hypnosis CD's, so i went and got one today. I usually can't fall asleep with tv, radio or other noises (from the time I was a little kid), so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

thanks again.
                Jib

Comment

I'll be interested to see what you think. I couldn't afford the hypnosis CDs last time I tried to quit, but am about to order them

Comment

Hi, the hypno Cd's work really well for me too. They are quite reasonable on Amazon or have you tried your library?

I take a supplament called 5-HTP. Most health food shops sell it. Its a natrual seratonin and it really helped to get me back to sleeping through the night. It has no side effects its really done the trick.

Good luck
                    I can not alter the direction of the wind,

But I can change the direction of my sail.

AF since 01/05/2014

100 days 07/08/2014

Comment

I've never tried the hypnosis CD's. What are they like and autumn - can you recommend a particular one thru Amazon?

Thanks
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

I almost bought one of the "white noise" cd's on Amazon but then I thought - jeez - I can just tune my radio in to a "non-station" and get the same effect. Yes? No?

(just a thought)

Comment

The hypnosis book and CD that I bought is called "I Can Make You Sleep," by Paul McKenna (2009 Sterling Publishing Co. Inc, New York). The 'program' is quite specific and you're expected to follow it for a few weeks, even if it doesn't seem initially too effective.

I listened to the CD last night before bed. It left me relaxed, not sleepy, and, vaguely annoyed by a raspy-like quality in the hypnotist's voice. I will keep going at it, though. The guy is very emphatic that his system will work if it's just done repeatedly. I'll try just about anything if I can sleep well, and sleep AF.

Comment

Have you tried the ones suggested on the MWO website? Actually I'm not sure if they're the same ones I have -- I read the book and ordered what she had used in the book -- anyway, something about that guys voice just relaxes and puts me to sleep. And I'm not a TV sleeper either. Just a suggestion, and the Hypnotic suggestions have to do with AL, so you'll be killing 2 birds with one stone...

Comment

Working...
                            X