I have come to realize I cannot do this alone like I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did the first I went AF for over 6 months.
    I will be calling the Dr. first thing in the morning and will be honest about everything (I hope I don't chicken out at the last minute)

I have to do this for me and my health

Mya, when you think about it we are social creatures by our very nature. We need interaction with other human beings to survive. It's been proven that incubated babies who have at least 10mins of human contact (stroking of the back or head) have a much higher rate of surviving than those that don't (and don't ask me how they found that out! I shudder to think!). Human interaction is vital to our continued evolution yet most of us drinkers have in some shape or form (maybe not physically) isolated ourselves at some point during our drinking careers and even before we started drinking. My pattern of behaviour was that when I felt emotionally vulnerable I would isolate and put up barriers. I may not of physically taken myself out of the situation but I would become very 'distant' or aloof within my environment. I'm sure you've heard the expression about feeling lonely in the middle of a crowd of people. Like your the only one that is feeling that way amongst the crowd. You feel totally isolated and alone yet outwardly you may be still seen to be enjoying the company.

It took me such a long time to realise that I couldn't do this on my own and that even online forums alone couldn't give me the 'human' contact I so desperately needed and craved. I was still isolating from the world.

I'm not sure where you're based mya but here in the UK there are lots of support agencies where you can get that contact with other people who are struggling like you. I'm not here to 'pedal my wares' as such but there is also a worldwide fellowship that will give you that human contact too. Just be willing to do whatever it takes no matter how many barriers you may be putting up or prejudices you have. And we all have them! I've got tons of the buggers.

I hope things go well for you with your GP and your honesty prevails. It's a good first step in admitting you cannot do this alone (as you rightly say!)

Take care
    Many Blessings
    Phil
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Mya- Thats a good positive step.

Phil - Your post was very thought provoking. I use to go to AA meetings but have decided to stay away from them for now. I do miss the social interaction I had with people who had similar struggles.
      Be strong-
      We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
      Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

Mya,

In this fight we need to take advantage of all of the options available whether that be medical, groups, faith, etc. Your Doctor will only be able to help if he or she knows the full extent of the problem so being completely honest is best. Good to see your post Phil.
        2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Hang in there Mya. Just start stringing the days together like you did before and you will be back to 6 months before you know it. Get whatever support and help you need. You can do this.

Comment

Working...
          X