One week ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One week ago

Every Friday I go to the pub after work. I have my tea and drink four pints. I stop at the supermarket on the way home and buy three bottles of strong beer. Every Friday. Every Friday for years. Last Friday, drunk, I decided it was time to get a grip. One week later to the hour I have just returned home from the pub. I ate a meal. I drank soda water. I am now seven days AF. I went to the well and didn't drink. I feel strong. I feel proud. I have a nice tub of ice cream I bought in the supermarket instead of beer. If I can write the same this time next week and be on day 14 instead of day 7 then it will be breakthrough big time. Nonetheless seven days free and I have made a start. I may drink again in the future. However tonight feeling good without it I wonder why I should bother. I remember feeling like shit last Saturday. Tomorrow I wake to day 8 with a clear head and two days off work to enjoy.:h (I should point out that I was drinking six days per week with only Monday off - Friday was the start of 48 hours drunk every weekend)
    Last drink 6th September 2013

One week ago

Well done softy! You have done really well so far and I am sure you will keep it up. It's hard to break a habit that you have had for years but a little determination and a lot of focus and you will be grand.

x
    'Breakfast, every hour, it could save the world.' Tori Amos

"Turn a stumbling block into a stepping stone."

AF since 23rd December 2010 - progession is paramount! :truce:

"don't be sad because it's over, smile because it happened!"

Comment

One week ago

Isn't that just a great post, Softy. Blooming well done.

Mind there'll be all sorts of weird side effects this weekend. Like a clear head, a smile on your face, clear eyes and that you open the curtains before noon.

Have a good one.
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

One week ago

Thanks

I was really tempted to stay home but I thought " nah, sod it, I have to carry on life as usual but just not include booze" massive test of self discipline and I passed! normally I would get drunk to "celebrate" :H tonight I will have an ice cream binge but feel free for the first time since 22nd Dec 2008 it underlines that I know I have a problem when I remember the date of the last time I stopped being AF. Two years on a slope downwards. I have stopped sliding at least. Now to start taking some steps back up. Have a great weekend everyone. Now to the freezer........

Comment

One week ago

Hi Softy,

What a brilliant post I loved it.
          You sound so positive and happy so keep up the good work.
          Enjoy that icecream too
          With love Flo
          Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Comment

One week ago

Good for you Softy
            Always remember the feeling
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

One week ago

Feeling

Talking of feelings what is really clear now is how I felt a week last Wednesday when the scale of my misery hit me. Today is actually day 9 AF out of the last 10 but I lapsed on the Friday due to the routine. This week I broke the routine. Thank you all for the kind words. Kind words are the coal that make this steam engine move forward down the rails. I will not go off those rails while I have fuel and I am going full steam ahead. All aboard the love train !!!

Comment

One week ago

Well done Softy!! I'm impressed that you even went to your drinking haunt but managed to stay off the grog. If you can manage that at this stage of the journey then I think you stand a very high chance of being able to maintain your sobriety.
                good for you!!

Enjoy this first weekend unhung....soon you will have many of them under your belt so this is a special one.
                Bean

Comment

One week ago

Nice one Softy the Friday night craving used to be a right fecker for me and the Saturday i would be sick , so one for the cure ..... and on ......and on ...and on. Its hard to break that cycle but a lot of it is your mind , now you know you can do it doing it again will be easier. Don't think to much about next week right now when i first started if i thought too much ahead i would give up, the mountain looked to big to climb . If you have read much on this site you will have seen a book by Allen Carr "Easy way to control Alcohol". I read it about two weeks ago and everything seemed to fall into place. I don't look at Alcohol the same, It was like waking up too the truth you should give it a try it at the very least it will help. keep strong MM
                  AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

One week ago

Softy,

Your post gave me chills. It is posts like these that keep me going. I was having thoughts of getting some wine on the way home but you helped me realize that I am not going to make that thought a reality. ODAT

Thanks,
                    LL
                    The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings.

*Don't look where you fall, look why you slipped*

Comment

One week ago

Softy,
                      Nice work mate.
                      Just made 7 days myself. It was great to wake up on a Saturday morning without feeling like shit.
                      Stay strong!
                      Can I have a life please, make it a double - I've got some catching up to do!

Comment

One week ago

:goodjob: Softy
                        Fridays were always the hardest for me as like you marked the start of a two day binge, why we ever thought that spending our whole weekend drunk or hungover was ever a good way to celebrate is now beyond me.... Enjoy those wonderful moments when you open your eyes and realize you actually feel good!
                        "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                        AF - JAN 1st 2010
                        NF - May 1996

Comment

One week ago

Thanks all

Saturday morning and in the words of Herman's Hermits " woke up this morning feeling fine " I am on chapter 7 of Allen Carrs Easyway To control Alochol. It is a good recommendation. I am only at the start of my journey but glad that sharing my experience has at least helped someone. That feels good because after taking a lot of strength from people posting here it feels good to give some back.

Comment

One week ago

:goodjob:

Comment

One week ago

Softy will this be your first Monday hangover free for a long time?
                              AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

Working...
                              X