First ever AF holiday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First ever AF holiday

Day 10 today. If I can be AF this time next week it will be Valentine's Day and day 17. Then, on Day 18, I am going on on holiday for three nights dinner bed and breakfast in a posh hotel as a valentine / birthday gift for my wife (her birthday the end of the week) DB&B in a posh hotel in the past meant dinner booze and bed (not fit for breakfast) if I can make it to the end of next week and Day 21 then I think I am really onto something. Any tips on staying AF on holiday?
    Last drink 6th September 2013

First ever AF holiday

Me again

Actually me and Mr JC had a weekend away very early in my AFness around about the 20 day mark. Not a terribly romantic one we went to Carlisle to see Michael MacIntyre live.

We'd already made a plan for him to join me on my first 30days (he's a normie by the way) so he didn't drink and we had a great time.

My thoughts have a word with Mrs Softy and promise to take her shopping after breakfast.
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

First ever AF holiday

Shhh Carlisle

Is the hidden secret of the true romantics.....don't tell everyone or it will get over crowded! We are off to the Cotswolds. I am going to become the connoisseur of diet pop. Going to pretend it is a new type of special brew:H:H

Comment

First ever AF holiday

Notice how

I skillfully dodged the shopping hint - I may be an alki but I am not completely reckless !

Comment

First ever AF holiday

:H:H:H!

Actually, Softy, I've done quite a few sober weekends/hols away now and the first one was a week in the sun - I was underwhelmed at the thought of it to be honest - holidays and drinking were so interlinked it just seemed - pointless.
          Actually had a lovely time. We did change quite a few things around. We didn't go to the bar on the way back from the beach at 5pm for a couple like we used to - we went out a bit later, hubs had wine with dinner and then we DID mosey the shops and stopped off most nights for a cappacino for me and a night cap for him - strictly half an hour, if he wanted a second drink I just went back to the hotel and watched tv or whatever. It worked. Since then have had lovely effortless breaks - if he wasn't willing to change the routine it would have been very tricky tho.

I've posted a few times recently that the further along I get with this business I'm aware (for me anyway) that the disassociation of places, times and events with alcohol is a very big part of my soberness. This christmas was easy cos I was sober last christmas (hands up, slight implosions after both:upset: but nothing to do with christmas). Same with hols, I don't THINK about will I want to drink now when I'm planning a break, it doesn't seem relevant.
          If you tell yourself 100% 'I will not drink' you will do it - don't leave the tiniest tiniest window of possibility open. Good luck and have a great time!
          Molly
          Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
          contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

First ever AF holiday

Hi Softy,

I kept busy, busy, busy! So by the end of the night I was so sight-seeing knackered that all I wanted was a hot chocolate and bed!

I have found that drinking fizzy stuff in a posh wine glass works for me when I am out, fizzy water or my fave Appletize. It looks like wine, well sort of.

Have a fab break away.
            I can not alter the direction of the wind,

But I can change the direction of my sail.

AF since 01/05/2014

100 days 07/08/2014

Comment

First ever AF holiday

Softy the Cotswolds is one of my fav places! I know there are lots of cosy little bars but its not a huge drinking culture. I agree with Molly about association, the more we set new patterns in our minds the easier the next one will be. Maybe you fancy a break in Portugal later in the year... Check this out soberholidays.ie
              "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
              AF - JAN 1st 2010
              NF - May 1996

Comment

First ever AF holiday

Hi Softy!!

Congrats for your Day 10!! I think holidays and journey with your wife, change of everyday life can be inspiring.. Make it unforgetable!!!
                And with clear mind you'll enjoy more!!!!!
                The time for action is now. It's never too late to do something.
                /Antoine de Saint-Exupery/

Comment

First ever AF holiday

Walking walking walking then back for a

Big meal bit of music and get to Kip - no booze. That's the plan. If I am really good boy and stay sober I may even get chance to relive our honeymoon but that's not for posting here:devil:

Comment

Working...
                  X