Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stinking thinking

Hi Everyone

I want to wish everyone a Happy Valentine's Day! I hope you have love in your lives but more importantly, love for yourselves. It seems we totally neglect that when we drink. I just found this handout my counsellor gave me over a year ago. It goes out to everyone starting out or thinking about it...

All i can say is IT'S SO WORTH IT!! I realized this morning that I used to wake up EVERY day and my heart would sink that it was morning again and I felt like crap but knowing I would have to go out and get more alcohol later that day. I constantly felt like I was on a merry-go-round that I couldn't get off. But i did finally get off it almost 7 weeks ago and I love love love waking up ready for the day with enthusiasm and a smile.

My friends have commented on the new me saying things like, "you look so alive", "you're so much more lively" (spot the common theme?!).

Choose LIFE people. You can do it and you'll be so glad you did. (show me a post from anyone on this site that says they went back to drinking after a period AF and wished they'd relapsed sooner!).

STINKING THINKING: One drink won't hurt
    Response: One drink will always hurt me and it always will be cause I'm not a social drinker. One sip and I'll be compulsively drinking again.

ST: I only want one
    R: I have never wanted only one (so true ) In fact, I want 5 0r 10, every day. I want them all.

ST: I'll just be a social drinker
    R: I'm a chronic compulsive drinker and once I drink one, I'll quickly be thinking about the next one. Social drinkers can take it or leave it. That's not me.

ST: I'm doing so well, one won't hurt me now (oh god....does this sound familiar?)
    R: the only reason I'm doing so well is because I haven't taken the first one. Yet once I do, I won't be doing well anymore - I'll be drinking again.

ST: I'll just stop again.
    R: Sounds easy but who am I trying to kid? Look how long it took me to stop this time? And once I start, how long will it take before I get sick enough to face the withdrawals again? In fact, when I'm back in the grip of compulsion, what guarantee do I have that I'll ever be able to stop again?

ST: If I slip, I'll keep trying.
    R: If I think I can get away with one little 'slip' now, I'll think I can get away with another little slip later on (I've totally experienced this).

ST: I need one to get me through this withdrawal.
    R: Drinking will not get me through the discomfort of not drinking. (I love that! It makes so much sense). It will only get me back to drinking. One sip stops the process of withdrawal and I'll have to go through it all over again.

ST: I miss drinking right now.
    R: Of course I miss something I've been doing every day for most of my life. But do I miss the pain of drinking right now? Do I miss the shame, the embarassment? I'd rather be an ex-drinker with an occasional desire to drink than a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it.

ST: I really need to drink right now. I'm so upset/angry/tired etc.
    R: Drinking is not going to fix anything. I'll still be upset. I'll just be an upset drunk. I never have to have a drink. Drinking alcohol is not a need, it's a want. Once the crisis is over, I'll be relieved and grateful I'm still not drinking.

ST: I don't care.
    R: WHAT IS IT EXACTLY THAT I THINK I DON"T CARE ABOUT? Can I truthfully say I don't care about my pain? I don't care about having a hangover in the morning? I don't care about what I'm doing to my liver, lungs, kidney and heart? I don't care about all the people I've hurt? No, I care about these things very much - that's why I stopped drinking in the first place.

ST: What difference does it make anyway?
    R: It makes a difference in the way I live, the way my heart beats, the way I feel about myself. It makes a tremendous difference to every aspect of my physical and emotional health.

Big :h to all.
    Bean

Stinking thinking

Amen Bean,
    Amen!
    Thanks for posting this
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Stinking thinking

WONDERFUL!!!! Thank you x
      "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
      NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Stinking thinking

Brilliant, Bean. Thank you. I wonder could you repost this in the tool box,please.

I've just seen your signature, that just says it all for me.

I'd rather be an ex-drinker with an occasional desire to drink than a drinker with a CONSTANT desire to stop doing it.
        Thank you again.
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Stinking thinking

JackieClaire;1060151 wrote: Brilliant, Bean. Thank you. I wonder could you repost this in the tool box,please.

I've just seen your signature, that just says it all for me.

Thank you again.
          Ditto what the other ladies have said. Great post. And, like Jackie, I love your signature.
          For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
          AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Stinking thinking

Thanks for sharing that Bean. That is my truth as well.

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Stinking thinking

Thank you for sharing Bean!!

Comment

Stinking thinking

Love it!!

And your signature also

Comment

Stinking thinking

After all the chatting about moderating this last week, I REALLY needed that. Thanks you!

Comment

Stinking thinking

Thanks Bean, have printed this one out as a daily read. :thanks:

Comment

Stinking thinking

Cheers Bean,

Excellent post, you should put it on the tool thread also .

Congratulations on staying sober, I,m right behind you :-) , 6 weeks today, and not a chance of going back to my old ways, loving my new sober life, with much thanks to everyone on here, and Mr.Allen Carr.

Hope you are all well

Damo x
                      Still trying !!!
                      AF 25th June2014

Comment

Stinking thinking

Thanks everyone, glad you liked it! Of course I will repost it in the Tool Box.

I agree, there has been a lot of talk of modding lately which has been catching my attention (not in a good way). I've seen one or two people who I thought were on the abstinence path say that they've been successfully moderating (and good for them if they can do that) but it's made me think I might be able to as well when I know deep down that's not the case. Anyway, have not even entertained the thought of trying that but we all know how the demon AL can whisper in your ear...

Have a great AF week all. I just ran 8km!! Could NEVER have done that when i was drinking.
                        Bean

Comment

Stinking thinking

OMG this is just what i need to keep reading Bean thank you thank you thank you All those things I can identify with and that is just too scary!
                          Taking it ODAT

Comment

Stinking thinking

Well done bean, what an excellent post! Great to have this to read in moments of weakness or doubt. Love it! :goodjob:

Comment

Stinking thinking

Fantastic!

It really helps to have an answer to silence the nagging drinking voice.
                              I can not alter the direction of the wind,

But I can change the direction of my sail.

AF since 01/05/2014

100 days 07/08/2014

Comment

Working...
                              X