Starting Over Again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Over Again!

Well, against eveyone on this website's good advise, I went a way for Girls weekend....knew i wasn't ready but went anyway. I fell "off the wagon" Nothing absolutely horrible, but failure no matter how you slice it. Spent all day yesterday feeling sick from being hung over, then had to hide it from my husband because I didn't want him to know we had been drinking.

So here I am on day 2 AGAIN! Normally, I would be beating myself up and full of self-hate but for some reason, this time, I feel like I just need suck it up and start over again....I feel hopeful.
    Gidget 1016

"Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out":h

Starting Over Again!

I am glad you are not beating yourself up.......you're just human. Just chalk it up to another one of life's lessons and get on with it. You sound like you are in a good frame of mind ))))
    Change your thoughts, and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

Comment

Starting Over Again!

Gidgett - good for you in not beating yourself up! Been there and coming right back here is the answer. Each time we learn a lesson I think our resolve becomes stronger - did for me at least. Jump right back in and hang on tight - the ride might be bumpy but it is sooooo worth it!!

Hugs to you and feel better soon!

:l
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Starting Over Again!

Gidget--
        Definitely don't beat yourself up. Look at things in a positive light--that you are going to rise up and give sobriety another try. You can do it! Make a list of things you hate about drinking and then a list about things you like about being sober.

We are here for you!
        fragielflower

Comment

Starting Over Again!

Good for you Gidget. You knew you weren't ready. You did it anyway. You felt the fallout.
          That means you learned something. Beating yourself up just gives yo an excuse to say, "What the hell" and go on a binge. Glad you're not doing that. :goodjob:

Comment

Starting Over Again!

Thanks everyone for the support. Went to the gym and ran for a bit....I feel much better! Onward and Upward!!!!!
            Gidget 1016

"Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out":h

Comment

Starting Over Again!

Good that you are getting right back on the wagon. I'm sure that hangover was no fun, along with trying to hide it from your husband and all the other negative energy that comes along with AL.

May I ask what you have learned from this experience that will result in difference choices going forward?

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Starting Over Again!

Gidget,

I think that your post might just have cured me of my decision to NOT GO visit my friend at the beach next month. It is all good though. I don't think I am ready. I have 35 days sober today. That is good for me, but I think I probably need at least 6 months before I do something like that. Especially since I am going through a divorce and think I need to start getting some attention.

I already messed up this weekend by doing something kind of crazy. I didn't drink al but I still should have not done what I did. Yikes.
                :l - AF since 01/18/2011

Comment

Starting Over Again!

Doggygirl....I guess one of the biggest things I learned was not to be over-confident about where I am right now and to follow my instincts. I had reservations about going and I should have stayed home....I'm just not ready to be in that type of situation where everyone is going to be drinking. I think if they hadn't been drinking, I would have been okay....again, my problem not theirs.

Trying46...If I can just help 1 person, I'm glad. I think I was niave about how challenging this could be. 35 days is huge - definately not worth screwing up! Good luck!
                  Gidget 1016

Comment

Starting Over Again!

Learning is a good thing. I remember when I first got started AF (the first time - and I relapsed at 60 days). 10 days AF seemed like FOREVER. 60 days seemed like FOREVER. (the 8 months long relapse seemed like FOREVER too but for different reasons LOL)

I had to put things in perspective. I spent about 30 years drinking to excess. I couldn't possibly be a fully competent AF person who had undone all those years of drinking over night. I stayed out of drinking situations for at least 6 months. Even now I am careful and always have an exit plan. And I am very rarely around drinking unless I'm there for business reasons. That's just how it has to be for me. I've developed new friends and a new social life that doesn't revolve around AL.

Some people are fine around AL as sober people. Some aren't. Put your sobriety first, and THEN see where you really are with it. That's my 2 cents anyway.

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                    X