Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

enjoying a weekend away,SOBER !!! :-)

Hi All,

I am 60 odd days AF and am in London enjoying a break with my wife.
    Strong cravings both nights so far, but I got through them.
    Talking about them with my wife helped.
    I am really delighted I didnt give in to temptation. I know I wont drink tonight and back home tomorrow.
    Apart from the cravings, had a really nice time, the daytime is/was so nice hangover free.
    And my morning runs in Hyde Park at 8.00 a.m each morning were amazing.

This weekend has taught me that I still have to work on staying sober.
    I am prepared to keep working at it though, really enjoying the benefits of my sobriety.
    :thanks: for listening.

Hope all our well
    Damo
    x
    Still trying !!!
    AF 25th June2014

Bleedin DEADLY!

Up the Dubs!!!
    "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Well done damo180, wondering were you were.delighted your enjoying your new sober life.

Up the Dubs :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Good for you Damo. Just dont go mad now and break out on Aer Lingus on the way home! Seriously though well done. That is a big big test you have just passed. The next time you are faced with a situation like that you will be more confident. Good for you.:applaud:
        I am a sobriety tart. AA/Smart/RR philosophy, meds/diet/exercise/prayer,rabbbits feet/four leaf clovers/horseshoes. Yes please.I will have them all thank you very much.Bring them on

There is no way the bottle is going to be stronger than I am.

Comment

Wonderful Damo! You give me so much hope, I am about 30 days behind you and have a Spanish holiday coming up right around my 60 day mark! Running in Hyde Park sounds wonderful, I am now looking forward to my 8am run on the beach each morning.

So good to hear you got through the cravings. I seem to remember you mentioning the Allen Carr book, did that help? And what else helped? We need to know!

Good on you, and a safe trip home! :goodjob:

Comment

Well done Damo ur doin great. Its odat and keeping our guard up.

Comment

Great Job Damo!!

Comment

Thank you all. Your support and encouragement is so much appreciated.
                I enjoyed a little holiday, and not one drop of alcohol.
                Yes, there were cravings each night, but by no means did they ruin my holiday.
                Had a really nice night last night.Went to see a "Billy Elliott" show. Abslutely amazing.

Hi Vintage Girl,
                3 main things are getting me through staying sober.
                My Way Out. This site and all here have been my biggest support.
                The Allen Carr method. I read his book and now have a shortened pocket version called "No More Hangovers" which I usually keep close by.(he also helped me quit smoking)
                Running/Exercise is a big part of my life. To wake up for the last three mornings at 7.00 am and feel alive has been amazing.(I am just back from my morning run in Hyde Park again :-)
                I am right behind you when you go on holiday, enjoy the benefits of the lovely mornings, and go for those runs on the beach. Be aware, there WILL be temptations, but you CAN get through them
                I really hope you do. Stick close by, and maybe get/bring one of the two Allenn Carr books.

Thanks again everyone.
                Happy Sunday xxx
                Damo
                Still trying !!!
                AF 25th June2014

Comment

Damo :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

I found whenever I was out of my usual routine and away somewhere the cravings were always worse. Thats just because we have established a good new AF pattern in our daily lives and have to readapt to new experiences. The great news is that every hurdle we jump is one ticked off that will mean it's easier the next time. You are doing amazing and I hope you are feeling proud today.
                  "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                  AF - JAN 1st 2010
                  NF - May 1996

Comment

Thanks for the tips Damo, I really must look for the pocket version of Allen Carr. I know he isn't everyone's cup of tea, but a lot of what he said in his book made so much sense and helped me change the way I look at AL. I have re-read a couple of chapters just recently.

My way out is a life saver, even when I had internet problems and couldn't be here, the stuff I had read here stuck with me and really helped.

Last but not least, the exercise! I love running too, and I think that is one of the main reasons I decided to quit AL. I wasn't running as often or as well as I like to.

Thanks again and huge props to you, so glad to read about your wonderful trip, really looking forward to mine now. Ole! :H

Comment

Hey Damo

Congrats on your continued AF journey. I know I will be drawing my strength from you over the coming days and weeks

Way to go !!!!!!
                      I would rather have a frontal labotomy than a bottle in-front-of-me.

AF since Oct 23,2013

I watched this and found it incredibly empowering.....
                      http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

Comment

Damo, you should really be proud of yourself. It sounds like you have really turned the first big corner, of your journey without alcohol. And like you say, it is great. The fact that you respect the urges, and the evil that still lurks is good, we cannot ever forget that. Temptation will always exists, but the strength to fight it gets stronger with sober time under our belts.

Keep up the great work, it sounds like you are in a really good place mentally. I hope that many people read your thread, because it can inspire us all.
                        Hill
                        Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Damo - great job on avoiding temptation! You must feel extremely good about yourself and you have every right to! I am about 1/2 way thru the Allen Carr book. So much of what he says makes sense to me - need to finish the book - didn't realize they made a pocket version.

Now with no one around me having any idea about my struggle with AL, I bought the book, removed the outer cover and replaced it with one of my romance novel covers. (almost felt like when I was trying to hide the bottles/boxes of wine but so much better!)

Have a great day!
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Thanks again everyone.

Hillside, cheers mate, for me to think I could inspire someone to staying sober gives ME strength to keep strong and be AF.
                            There is no doubt, it can be hard work at times, and in certain situations temptations are very strong.
                            But if I really try to keep a positive attitude and enjoy the sober times, I can and am beating this addiction.

Jolie and everyone else, lets keep going staying sober, we really CAN beat this.

Damo
                            x
                            Still trying !!!
                            AF 25th June2014

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the Allen Carr short version Damo...I too have read the long book but it would be a great thing to have with me on vacation. And those morning runs do sound fabulous!!

Thanks for the very inspiring story -- you are right we really CAN beat this.

Comment

Working...
                              X