I have discovered.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have discovered.....

That there are two 5'oclocks per day!!! I posted this in another thread, but I used to love fishing in my teens. When I started drinking I couldn't get up in the morning due to having a hangover nearly every weekend so I stopped going. I have not been fishing for 20 years. What happened to all that time? I have wasted a big part of my life. Now on 40 days AF and I have re-discovered my former passion. I have bought a load of new tackle with my savings on not buying beer. I am really looking forward to spring and summer when I can hit the riverbank at daybreak and watch nature come alive. This is living. Lying in my pit with a headache and the shame and guilt causing brutal depression is dying. I am alive again! I am not religious but almost feel like I have been given another chance. I am not going to take anything for granted anymore. Not my wife. Not my job. Not my friends. The things we do today shape our futures. The past will not change with contemplation so it is a waste of time looking to the past, apart from heeding it's lessons. The world is changing every day, so must we. KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!

(sorry for preaching - I am just feeling strong and positive for the first time in years and wanted to share the feeling with you all. I hope the change in my posts over the last three months will demonstrate the difference kicking AL can make. If I inspire one person then all this typing has been worth it)
    Last drink 6th September 2013

I have discovered.....

Aww Softy,
    I love seeing your posts. They are so full of enthusiasm, it's just great.

I used to be a bit of a fisher woman myself (as opposed to a fish wife), the casting into the sea one. Beach casting or beach fishing can't remember it's proper name. Nothing like standing all night on the North East coast freezing yer bum off for a whiting. Haven't done it for years.

Now where's me rod and me mallet.
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

I have discovered.....

Rock on Softy!!! Love your post. So happy you are feeling this 'sober high'. Isn't it great? I literally just wrote to someone else that I am loving how active I am these days. Almost every day I am running, swimming, skiing, climbing, hiking etc. I used to love gymnastics and sports etc in my teens but like you, could rarely get up or be bothered to do much of it on a hangover.
      Feels SOOOO good to have the energy and desire for that fun stuff again. And am also enjoying being able to buy some things I wanted with the money I have saved.

Your post inspired me so now you know the typing was worth it!
      Bean

Comment

I have discovered.....

Softy, what a lovely, positive post. I, too, used to enjoy fishing but as a youngster with my Dad and my sister. And well up into my teens, every Saturday morning in the summer we'd get the boat and go to a different lake or river in our area. Just us and the peacefulness of nature.
        I am so happy for you that you have managed 40 days AF and I can feel your enthusiasm about getting back to your favourite hobby and about living a healthy life. Keep on posting about the positive changes in your life due to being AF. It not only helps others, it will also help you, if you find yourself struggling at some point, to come here and read back over your own personal thoughts about how good life is without AL to drag you down.
        For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
        AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

I have discovered.....

Softy, you've inspired me - many times already in the 3+ weeks that I've been here. You never know when someone who's reading has been having a bad day and is ready to let their guard down...then they read posts like these and realize it's not worth it. Thank you...:-)
          ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

I have discovered.....

Fair Play Softy, preach away.
            Its great to read such positivity, you and everyone else here are helping ME to keep going.
            I am in a really good place at the moment and am now 67 days sober (I now keep a diary and love circling each day and watch the day numbers go up, looking forward to day100 ).
            Glad you have re discovered fishing, I imagine its a nice way to relax.

All the best.

Damo in Dublin
            Still trying !!!
            AF 25th June2014

Comment

I have discovered.....

lolab;1073265 wrote: Softy, you've inspired me - many times already in the 3+ weeks that I've been here. You never know when someone who's reading has been having a bad day and is ready to let their guard down...then they read posts like these and realize it's not worth it. Thank you...:-)
              Hi Lolab,
              I remember your first post, delighted to read you are doing well
              Still trying !!!
              AF 25th June2014

Comment

I have discovered.....

Bean;1073216 wrote: Rock on Softy!!! Love your post. So happy you are feeling this 'sober high'. Isn't it great? I literally just wrote to someone else that I am loving how active I am these days. Almost every day I am running, swimming, skiing, climbing, hiking etc. I used to love gymnastics and sports etc in my teens but like you, could rarely get up or be bothered to do much of it on a hangover.
                Feels SOOOO good to have the energy and desire for that fun stuff again. And am also enjoying being able to buy some things I wanted with the money I have saved.

Your post inspired me so now you know the typing was worth it!
                Bean
                Well done Bean, 70 odd days AF :goodjob:
                Very happy for you

Damo
                Still trying !!!
                AF 25th June2014

Comment

I have discovered.....

Jackie Claire, I see you a long term abstainer and regular.
                  I think its amazing that you continue to support everyone on here
                  Cheers
                  Still trying !!!
                  AF 25th June2014

Comment

I have discovered.....

Keep going !!! , i love your enthusiasm, definitely you inspire me whit your words.
                    AF since 06/11/2011

Comment

I have discovered.....

I think that was the forum equivalent of a group hug from Damo! Great stuff! Onwards and upwards everyone. Have a great AF Thursday
                      Last drink 6th September 2013

Comment

I have discovered.....

Softy, this is a lovely post & reminds us all of the things we miss out on when we're pissed or hungover - thanks mate xo

Comment

I have discovered.....

yep, Softy - I felt it - Thank you Damo...today is day 25!!!!! I could not have imagined this 26 days ago....I've been trying for so long - wouldn't have been possible without the amazing support here....still leaning when I need to.
                          ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

I have discovered.....

Still trying !!!
                            AF 25th June2014

Comment

I have discovered.....

Fabaroozie!

Great stuff Softy! As others have said, preach away, we need it! Another post that's warmed my heart and given me a bit more hope. Thanks!:thanks:

Comment

Working...
                              X