Time to Stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to Stop

Hello all... I don't know how I got to this point in my life, but I need to stop! I'm 48 and was never a big drinker until 2 years ago. Now I look forward to coming home from work just to crack a beer. For whatever reason, it seems to give me energy and then helps me sleep. Every morning I wake up feeling like crap and I tell myself today is the day you have to stop!! I want to order the book and tapes but financially it is not possible right now. So how does one get over the urge to crack that first beer and not stop cracking more? I don't understand the control it has over me and why I long it. I feel so out of control and definately need help.

Time to Stop

BrandiGirl

:welcome: You have found a wonderful place that will give you nothing but support - never judgement. I am the same age as you but have been drinking for around 8 years - same thing - home from work every night looking forward to starting into my first (of many) glasses of wine. I never thought I would last 1 week let alone 2 months!

The fact that you are here and you realize that you need help is a very important 1st step - read thru the posts (I know - there are many!) but I think you will see that you are not alone - many here probably have stories very similar to you.

I didn't use any of the supplements except for the L-Glutamine which is supposed to help with the cravings (and I really believe it does!)

Look forward to hearing more from you!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Time to Stop

welcome Brandi...
      we have all been in the same dark spot as you; some are still there.
      Jump in....try the Newbies Nest
      we are here for you!
      I love my family more than alcohol.:h
      Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Time to Stop

Brandi, welcome. Everyone here has the same problem, so you are in good company. Drinking can get progressively worse over the years, so you're smart to try to get it under control now. You're starting to crave it, which signals that things are changing in your brain - happened to us all here. You can get yourself back on track, but it takes work. Well worth it, though.

The toolbox is a great place to start - here is a link.
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

Read everything you can on the site and post often!

KG

Comment

Time to Stop

Hi Brandi,

Welcome to MWO, this is a good place!
          Your story sounds so familiar except my poison of choice was wine,

You can download the MWO book from the Health Store, it's pretty inexpensive & full of good info for you & use the Tool Box for ideas to help you make your plan.
          I personally loved the Hypno CDs but alternatively you can find similar recordings on the internet (You Tube and such). I've seen CDs for sale on ebay as well.

Taking back control of your life now is the best decision you can make for yourself. Glad to have you here on this journey with us

Please feel free to drop in the Newbies Nest thread for more support!
          Wishing you the best on your journey!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Time to Stop

Hi Brandigirl,

I'm sure this is covered in the Tool Box, but a good starting point is "Distract and Substitute". Distract yourself from your usual routine (change times, places, methods of doing things so you're not associating what you're doing with drinking) and substitute something else for the alcohol (tea, juice, soft drinks, so that you have something immediately on hand to drink that isn't alcohol).
            sigpic
            AF since December 22nd 2008
            Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Time to Stop

Hi and welcome brandigirl, you have come to a great community with lots of great advice and support, give yourself a chance you can do this.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Time to Stop

Hi BrandiGirl, and welcome. It is a good first step that you are writing out how you feel, and thinking about your relationship with alcohol.

Understanding why we crave it is a complex physiological, and psychological explanation, that is different for everyone. I am not sure you will get concrete answers, at least in the short term.

The urges that you face, that are related to routine, to habit, to pattern, those urges are real. You will feel them each day. These patterns can be broken, and new routines and patterns can be created.

I don't know how much you drink, but you may get cravings and urges related to the alcohol and or the sugar in it. These are often associated with withdrawal. These will be real too. It is hard work, but you can work through these. Remember that urges to drink, are like waves, you can surf them. They will pass, some are bigger than others, and some last longer.

If you are ready, we are here for you. You can do it. One day at a time,
                Hill
                Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Time to Stop

Thanks All

What warm and encouraging messages from all of you... thank you

Well I made it through today, only because I worked 12 hours and am exhausted. So I'm sipping on some herbal tea and posting this reply, then off to bed. Hope I do well tomorrow.

You all posted some really good ideas which I will definately try. I do want to purchase the CD's and try changing my routines. I'm thinking of joining the gym and going there after work instead of coming home to my crazy house.

Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Time to Stop

Welcome BrandiGirl. You landed in a good place. Use the advise here - discover what works for you. I found a book by Alan Carr that is good for some people. Not that expensive. He talks about that "monster inside" your mind that tricks you into thinking about drinking. First days / weeks are hard, but it gets better, so give yourself a chance and take small steps - one day at a time (ODAT) as they say. Peace, TWO.

Comment

Time to Stop

Hey brandi, getting through that first day feels good. I hope you let us know how you get on. Welcome to a place where people actually understand and can support you. Lots of good advice and support to be had here, so stick around and stick with it. you can do this

Comment

Time to Stop

Well Friday has come and gone and to me that means beer and pizza night I'm so disgusted with myself that I can't control my impulses. But today is a new day and I'm going to try real hard not to think about coming home from work and having that first drink. I'm also going to order the Kudza Rescue. Has anyone had luck with that?

Comment

Time to Stop

Hey Brandi - sorry I am a little late. The Kudzo really helped me in the beginning. Worked wonders for me. I am now over 4 months sober (big wino) I hear ya on Beer and Pizza on Fridays...a philly tradition! We still have pizza, but I drink seltzer with a lemon and have just as much fun wth the family. It's tough at first, but well worth the struggle. Just try again. Stay AF, read, post and take the supps and you'll be amazed. Best of luck to you.
                          February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Time to Stop

Ok, I ordered the Kudza.... I pray it works!

Comment

Time to Stop

Well I received my Kudza and started on it 2 days ago. I'm taking 2 capsules 3 times a day. Is this enough to help my cravings? Also, I have not had a drink in 2 days and I have become very fatigued. Is this a withdrawal? Also, how long does it take for the Kudza to start working?

Comment

Working...
                              X