Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do you stop thinking about alcohol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was wondering if the same thing applied as it does with cigarettes. I gave up smoking in 1991 and very rarely would anything cigarette related come into my mind, does this apply to alcohol. I am constantly thinking about alcohol since I stopped 14 days ago, not good, nor bad, thoughts but a jumble of everything to do with alcohol. I want it go OUT OF MY HEAD! I can cope with the cravings quite well but I just wish the thoughts would stopping interuptting me :H
    AF since 27th February 2011

Hi hunni, I'm over 4 months sober and drink crosses my mind most days. I'm just a lot stronger and I'm able to move on from then without craving or having those voices telling me.. Go on.. One drink will not hurt. I do get bad days, like today, where these thoughts have come in my head and have seemed really convincing but again, strong enough to realise that the thoughts are bullshit and my god, the after effects of drinking would be terrible.
    You just become stronger... Kinda like, when you break up with someone you love, it takes ages to 'get over it and move on' and they'll always be that tiny part of you that wishes you could go back to how things were but you remember the reasons why you broke up and the weeks, months, years become easier as you move on completely! That's how I see it anyway *lol*
    Just hold on in there!

Comment

wow lil.michelle that analogy is soooo useful, I can totally relate and will start thinking like that, I know exactly what you mean, thanks so much. :thanks::thanks:
      AF since 27th February 2011

Comment

lil.michelle;1075321 wrote: You just become stronger... Kinda like, when you break up with someone you love, it takes ages to 'get over it and move on' and they'll always be that tiny part of you that wishes you could go back to how things were but you remember the reasons why you broke up and the weeks, months, years become easier as you move on completely! That's how I see it anyway *lol*
        Just hold on in there!
        Very well put michelle :goodjob: cant say much more than that.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Michelle is right. Could not have said it better
          February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Michelle, that was absolutely brilliant, and something we can all relate to! Yup, if I get those drinking thoughts, I am going to think of you. So much easier to talk myself out of it then.

Comment

LIL, your whole posts, which I read twice, really encouraged and motivated me! What a beautiful way to describe cravings and thinking about the consequences! Thank you! Wine, you have the power to control your thoughts. Don't let your thoughts control you. I think when you give up alcohol, you lose something and you need to replace that hole with something else, something fun or relaxing, but something new. I really believe that we can control our thoughts and replace the bad ones with good ones until it becomes a habit I haven't gotten there, yet, but I will never STOP trying! Best of luck to you!
              I'm not what I should be, I'm not what I could be. I'm definetly not who I want to be,
              but I'm sure not who I used to be!

There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still.

"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME." Phil 4:13

Comment

This analogy is excellent, and is akin to what Caroline Knapp described in her book "Drinking: A Love Story." AL being the bad boy you once loved but had a hell of a time getting rid of. She describes it as a divorce, and a painful one at that. If you haven't already read the book, do so -- IMO it's one of the best, especially for women.

Comment

Excellent analogy LIL...it was EXACTLY what I've been trying to articulate in my own mind for the last little while. Wasn't getting anywhere and then you just sum it up in a couple of sentences.

In fact it's so good, I'm going to write it down!!
                  Thanks
                  Bean

Comment

Reported as SPAM.
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                    X