Time to stop lurking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to stop lurking...

Hi, all! I have been reading the threads on this site for a while, and have decided it is time to come out of hiding.

I have been moderating, and have been successful but with a few slip ups. I know this happens, and I try not to beat myself up over it, but I still tend to put a huge amount of guilt on myself when I do. I used to "self medicate" pretty badly, but after counseling have come to grips with what my triggers are that caused me to go down that road and have been making great progress. Considering where I was 2 years ago and where I am now, I have come a loooooong way but also know that I still have more progress to make.

Hoping to make some new friends here!

Time to stop lurking...

Welcome!

Good to hear that you're making progress. This site has been a big help to me and I hope it works for you too. Nice avatar!
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Time to stop lurking...

Welcome georgia peach to mwo.

You have taken the most important step in this battle and that is the first one.Keep posting & reading and sharing,lots of great advice and support here,give yourself a chance and hope to see you around the boards. :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Time to stop lurking...

Hi GP!
        Welcome to MWO... I hope you make yourself at home. There are so many wonderful people here.
        Take care.
        Shiner

Comment

Time to stop lurking...

:welcome: you will love this site. Some of the most amazing and supportive folks you will ever know.

Never beat yourself up....and never give up!!!

Good luck
          :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

Time to stop lurking...

Hi Georgia Peach,

Welcome to MWO!

If you need ideas for your plan take a look in the https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html.
            A firm commitment to quit & a good plan will help you reach your goals.

Drop in the Newbies Nest too for more support
            Wishing you the best!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Time to stop lurking...

Hi and welcome GP. I am also a newbie here who had lurked for a long time too. It takes a lot of guts to finally join and post, so good on you.

Comment

Time to stop lurking...

Hi Peach--I'm a peach too (from GA). Just trying my best to deal with the myriad of issues that accompany drinking (appearance, anxiety etc). Therapy is helpful. I self medicated anxiety and boredom and the booze was making me fail at other things that were bothering me alrady so it was a vicious cycle. I am hoping that without booze I cna addrss those issues. Good luck

Comment

Time to stop lurking...

:welcome: Georgia P
                  Glad you took that 1st step and posted, I hope you post lots more and get the support that's here. I too self medicated and every time something went wrong I dived straight inside a bottle. But there is nothing in the world made better by AL and the problems would still be there in the morning only made worse by having to deal with them through a depressing hangover! Whatever you decide to do, why not try to abstain for 30 days. It will give you a chance to clear your mind without making any big decisions as to whether to mod or go AF.
                  "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                  AF - JAN 1st 2010
                  NF - May 1996

Comment

Time to stop lurking...

:welcome: I too used to self medicate with booze for any reason and it just makes things worse the next day. I know how you feel with the guilt and feeling of failure after another failed attempt. This is a very supportive and helpfull site full of information. Good luck.

Comment

Time to stop lurking...

welcome Georgia, and congrats on your first post! I think a lot of us can identify with the 'self medicating' thing, but looking at at, did AL ever actually make anything feel better? I hope you stick around and please join us in the Newbies Nest, there's lots of people in the same boat

Comment

Working...
                      X