Finding meaning in pain and suffering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Specially for you, Candycow...[COLOR=red][COLOR=red][COLOR=red][COLOR="Black Reading a book written by Howard C. Cutler and want to share some of his thoughts with all of you:-

Vicktor Frankl once said, " Man is ready and willing to shoulder any suffering as soon and as long as he can see a meaning in it".
    Buddhist ways of handling suffering ...:- ..."suffering is a result of our own negative past actions..." ; ..." Despite THE UNIVERSAL UNPLEASANTNESS, THERE IS LITTLE DOUBT THAT OUR SUFFERING CAN TEST, STRENGTHEN, AND DEEPEN THE EXPERIENCE OF LIFE. Author Graham Green observes, In Italy for for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed - but they produced Michelangelo, da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, 500years of democracy and peace, and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock.

Its about HOW YOU RESPOND to your suffering. By adopting the RIGHT ATTITUDE. Instead of feeling sorry for yourself, overwhelmed with worry and guilt. you can see suffering as a privilege - it is a kind of opportunity - for excample:-

[i]When you are aware of your pain and suffering, it helps you to develop your capacity for empathy, the capacity that allows you to relate to other people;s feelings and suffering....

[COLOR=black] AND ALSO: iT IS THE VERY STRUGGLE OF LIFE THAT MAKES US WHO WE ARE. And it is our enemies (alcohol???) that test us, provide us with the resistance necessary for growth!

Hope it make sense. To me it does! Have a nice, peaceful sober evening!:thanks:

Hi Beachbump,
    In addition, I believe that Frankl's main point was that in the search for meaning, if we have hope, we can make it through almost anything in life.

So much of our battles with addiction involve thinking and dealing with regrets, and doubts and sorrow and confusion. This mental aspect was not something I expected.

Take care, and keep up the battle.
    Hill
    Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

BB-
      Thanks for a reminder that suffering has a silver lining!:goodjob: And that hope is important to muster and sustain.

Comment

Hope

Hi Hill & Bruun,

YES! Definitely - without HOPE we can give up - then there is NO MEANING in trying... :l:l:l

Comment

expectations

Beachbump;1083634 wrote: Specially for you, Candycow...[COLOR=red][COLOR=red][COLOR=red][COLOR="Black Reading a book written by Howard C. Cutler and want to share some of his thoughts with all of you:-

Vicktor Frankl once said, " Man is ready and willing to shoulder any suffering as soon and as long as he can see a meaning in it".
          Buddhist ways of handling suffering ...:- ..."suffering is a result of our own negative past actions..." ; ..." Despite THE UNIVERSAL UNPLEASANTNESS, THERE IS LITTLE DOUBT THAT OUR SUFFERING CAN TEST, STRENGTHEN, AND DEEPEN THE EXPERIENCE OF LIFE. Author Graham Green observes, In Italy for for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed - but they produced Michelangelo, da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, 500years of democracy and peace, and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock.

Its about HOW YOU RESPOND to your suffering. By adopting the RIGHT ATTITUDE. Instead of feeling sorry for yourself, overwhelmed with worry and guilt. you can see suffering as a privilege - it is a kind of opportunity - for excample:-

[i]When you are aware of your pain and suffering, it helps you to develop your capacity for empathy, the capacity that allows you to relate to other people;s feelings and suffering....

[COLOR=black] AND ALSO: iT IS THE VERY STRUGGLE OF LIFE THAT MAKES US WHO WE ARE. And it is our enemies (alcohol???) that test us, provide us with the resistance necessary for growth!

Hope it make sense. To me it does! Have a nice, peaceful sober evening!:thanks:
          interesting thread,:H theres always one thread that will pop up and get your attention,alchoholism is one of the only situations we can change,ya just have to stop,and it is self inflicked,:upset:you don t need pills,needles or even an operation to stop,self determination is the only way,and know one can do it for you,it has to be YOU,hope you have a good day gyco:goodjob:

Comment

just thot i d add,is there really meaning in pain,take my nephew he had a brain tumor at 10 years old,cancerous,unamaginable what he went thro,pain wise,my fatherinlaw had his leg amputated from the blood flowing to fast thro the arteries,gangerine set in,painful,not only that,he had half his insides taken out earlier in his life,cancer,i just recently had a posterior cervical spinal decompression,it was caused by genetics,hope thats the rite termination,these are 3 for instances we have no control over,alcholism,we do, it s not rocket science,theres lots of help these days,and it doesnt have to be painful,just stop,you ve found a good pplace to start and again i wish you well gyco

Comment

Working...
            X