yoga boot camp -- AF day #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished day two of my yoga "boot camp" -- my plan to spend several days in a semi-controlled environment: healthy food, no alcohol, lots of exercise, meditation in the midst of several hundred nice people.

For me, wine was a way to get my mind to stop thinking, to go into some kind of state where nothing bothered me. Kind of like pulling the shade down on life, except I usually ended up asleep on the couch, in the middle of a movie, and woke up in the morning remembering very little of the night before.

After an intense day of yoga and meditation, I reached a point where I felt extremely calm and centered. Just finished day two AF with no cravings, or even any thoughts of alcohol. Of course, when I get back to the real world, I'll need to address those nagging desires but I am hoping one week of healthy practices can help get me started.

Some really good posts today -- thanks to all for helping one another out.

Looking forward to writing on April 14th that I have 15 days AF.
    Free at Last
    "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
    http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Free at last,

Good for you! Your plan sounds very positive and interesting (never heard of yoga boot camp).

Feeling calm and centered will surely help you if the cravings pop up. Good luck to you as you get back to "the real world"!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Hi Free at last - never heard of joga boot camp - sounds fantastic! In which country is it? I'm on day 22 AF and uses the Buddhism meaningof life and 8oath of Enlightment as bais for my recovery but battle with meditation - any tips from the boot camp?

Comment

That plan sounds great, good luck with it.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

In the US, there are numerous yoga/meditation centers, and they aren't too expensive (if you stay in the dormitory). The "boot camp" is my term for one week of yoga four times a day. The meditation also helps a lot. Hoping this week will give me tools I need for transition back to work and all the stress that comes with that.
          Free at Last
          "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
          http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Time passes quickly if you stay focused and busy. You've got a good start and a plan. Desire. Stare at it and it will melt away. Take it on as a challenge that stands in your way to where you want to be. Don't despair and fight it just meditate and let it evaporate as you sit in the calm controlled environment you've created and rest assured that w/practice you can create that same calmness at will in any circumstance. The mind can truly overcome if you sit in the quiet stillness and wait patiently for desire to pass. Strength for all of us trying to overcome A.

Comment

What a great idea. It will give you a good start.
              In February I signed up for the Febfast which is where people fast from alcohol for February and get sponsors to raise money for alcohol programmes. Ironic I know. I also joined Weight Watchers. The structure of Weight Watchers and the commitment of Febfast helped me to stay strong. The hard part is keeping the motivation alive after it all finishes, so make sure you have a plan in place for later
              Have a serene time

Comment

Sounds awesome! I've been thinking about doing some yoga and meditation as I'm interested in Budhism, but the lack of alcohol always put me off (lol), but now obviously its an option! Hope your week goes well chillin'.

XX

Comment

Working...
                X