AA Sponsor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AA Sponsor?

25 days AF - and although I'm eeling good, positive and inspired, I realise that I need to work on issues of mine in hoping that can help me not falling back in to a barrel op wine!

I searched on the internet for online AA and found a site. It seems that I must get a sponsor and don't what that means? I'm not totally into the idea of AA - first I don't think I'm powerless over my problem (maybe I understand the 'powerlessness' wrong) and 2nd I'm practising the Buddhism 8 paths of Enlightment and many Chistians believe that if you relating to Buddhism practises you are a Buddhist and don't believe in God. For me that is not true but I don't like the way the way that the AA describes their 12 steps. Does any one have a practical solution for me because I REALLY NEED to start working on my issues.

AA Sponsor?

Strange that no one is commenting on this thread - wonder what the reason can be....??

Comment

AA Sponsor?

Beachbump,

Give your post some time. There are many AA people here.

However, I do want to respond to your sponsor question.

A sponsor in AA is a person who agrees to "take you on" and lead you through the AA process.

The 12 steps is the AA way of getting sober.

The whole idea of powerless in AA means that if you take that first drink, you are powerless.

If you are not an alcoholic, you won't understand that. If you are, you will.

I hope this helps.

Love,
      Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

AA Sponsor?

Beach, AA is a practical solution to dealing with your alcoholism. The 12 steps are a set of principals that I live my life by and that involves action on my part. The problem with taking bits of this or that and using them as 'tools' in the broader sense of recovery, can be quite confusing at the beginning. If you're using 20% MWO, 50% AA, 20% SMART and 10% Buddhism for example you're going to have some very shaky foundations on which to build. That's why you'll probably hear a lot of people in AA say that you need to be in it 100%. Whether it's AA, SMART recovery, MWO or Buddhism you need to have solid foundations by giving your chosen method of recovery 100%. Once you have those foundations in place you can then start to look (if you choose) at adding more blocks onto your foundations. Some people are quite content with the foundations and build the blocks purely with AA for example. That doesn't mean to say that Buddhism or CBT, medication, psychotherapy or other spiritual philosophies don't have a place on your foundations. They will work together, no matter how much dogma you hear to the contrary. BUT you must have solid foundations for that to happen.

I went the wrong way about it and tried using different bits of this and that to strengthen my recovery but it was like putting the blocks in place and forgetting to add the cement. The cement comes from showing 100% willingness to commit to something wholeheartedly. That was hard for me because I'd never committed to anything wholeheartedly since I was a child.

On the question of a sponsor; it is not actually mentioned once in the BB about having a sponsor. But who else are you going to get to take you through the 12 steps if that's your choice? A sponsor is really only a witness to your pain and growth through allowing them to take you through those steps. A sponsor may well become a good friend and confidant. I know people who can't stand their sponsors to be honest but at the end of the day they know their sponsor is someone actually 'living' the steps rather than someone at meetings just talking the talk. "Do as I say, not as I do" kind of sponsors don't 'cut it' with me. And believe me there are plenty of them out there in AA. But so the same could be said about society in general. AA is not exclusive to the rights on people talking the talk and not walking the walk. I've constantly felt let down through growing up because of people not actually doing what they've said they'd do. All the good intentions in the world mean absolutely jack shit if your not actually putting action in and showing how 'compassionate', 'loving' or 'humble' for example you can be.

The steps will as I said earlier give you a practical solution to build some very strong foundations for yourself.

Step 1 is admitting we are powerless over alcohol and that are lives are unmanageable because of that. For me being powerless is actually empowering. It means letting go of attachments and old ideas and behaviours and thought patterns that make my life unmanageable. Basically it's throwing in the towel and giving up the fight with trying to control my drinking and my thoughts. It's about not giving the problem (alcoholism) any more power over me by letting go of it.

Anyway I hope more will 'chip in' and share their own experiences with you Beach.

Have a great day.

Many Blessings
        Phil
        "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
        Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

AA Sponsor?

Hi, I have done AA and had a really difficult time with the sponser I had. It is a wonderful program and can work but you need to work it at your own pace. Your budism (sp) actually will help you with the program as it is not a Christian program but one of faith which you already have which is great!

My experience on the sponsor side is to wait for a while, go to some meetings and really get to know people before you jump into the sponsor ride. Because sadly if you don't get a good one? It can send you back out. Mine was awful and pushy and I ended up drinking again and leaving the program for a while. So take your time, look around, you will know when things are right.

Good luck.
          Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
          :h

Comment

AA Sponsor?

Thank you to every one giving their comments. I'm saving this thread on my "favorites" so that I can print it and read it over and over. And Sheri, will go to that site you mention. Appreciate the time all of you put in writing to me.

Comment

AA Sponsor?

Hi Beachbump,

I'd also like to add to Sheri's recommendation of the book called One Breath at a Time (Buddhism and the Twelve Steps) by Kevin Griffin as I found it very helpful and put a lot of things into perspective for me. I have an interest in Buddhism and meditate regularly and it really made sense.

Good luck finding your path, you are doing great.

Dewdrop :h
              Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

AA Sponsor?

Yes, thanx - think that is the path to go for me - will get that book.

Comment

AA Sponsor?

Hi Beach,

I use to attend AA but I left because I cannot accept step one of the program ( powerless over alcohol). It's just not the case for me as I have turned from drinking alcoholicly to successfully moderating my drinking. From a daily drinker and weekend binge drinker, I can go to the pub and have a couple of glasses of wine for the entire evening.It's taken me a while to get to this stage but it's the power of the mind that works for me..

Good luck.
                  Be strong-
                  We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
                  Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

AA Sponsor?

Hello Beach,

I have to agree with those who said take your time and choose your sponsor carefully. I attended AA for about 6-months in 2009. The meetings I went to put pressure on obtaining a sponsor within 90-days so I did. Although my sponsor was nice enough I really could not relate to her or her former drinking at all. We were just two completely different people.

Anyway, in the end I left the program as it really wasn't helping me to give up AL, and it just didn't resonate with me. However, it was a great group of people and if you are looking for face-to-face support it's a wonderful group.

Good luck with your journey!

Comment

AA Sponsor?

Hi Mylife - thanx for your advise - agrre with it. Think I must just relax about it - may be it is because I'm afraid that I'm not strong enough and need somebody to lean on, don't no. But at the moment i still feel dtrong and believe that the right person will come my way...:thanks:

Comment

Working...
                      X