Milestone and Nine and a half weeks :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milestone and Nine and a half weeks :)

No, nothing to do with the saucy movie! I am actually nine an a half weeks sober!

I went on holiday last week and it was my first proper holiday as an adult wthout AL. Every holiday I have ever had as an adult has involved drinking; this one didn't. I was dreading it when we booked it...I relished every second as it turns out. Husband is not a big drinker; he had the odd glass of wine or whisky, I used to always have to have sangria, wine, brandy to finish the meal with the usual 'oh, I am on holiday after all' disclaimer.

This has really opened my eyes. This has made me see that there is a future, a good one, without having to have AL to liven up the party. The truth is that AL doesn't liven up the party, too much AL is a guaranteed recipe for disaster.

I still watch my husband nurse one glass for an hour and wonder how he does it. It doesn't really matter though, because I know I never can. I don't grudge him his seemingly healthy relationship with it any more, I just accept that I can't do the same.

I am posting this because I know it is the weekend, and I know a lot of people will be struggling. Trust me, there is hope. And you CAN do this.

Off to have some tea and toast before bed. I want to thank everyone for every single post on this site; this place has been a godsend to me. :thanks:

Milestone and Nine and a half weeks

FANTASTIC post VG! Congratulations on 91/2 weeks!!!
    "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

VG - I am so happy for you! Like you said - huge achievement and proof that it can be done.

:goodjob:
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

VG-what an awesome post and congrats on your first AF holiday!! You rock girl and I just know you will continue to be a force on these threads with your can do attitude and sunny outlook. I too wondered how some friends of mine could nurse a beer or glass of wine for hours while I downed 1, 2, ...6. I've stopped wondering because I know it's the brain chemistry and AL removes my off switch. That's all I need to know now.
        BTW, I LOVE toast and tea before bed!! Keep those milestones coming!!
        :l
        New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Good for you VG
          Wonderful to hear you are enjoying the AF benefits & freedom!!!!
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Fantastic Post VG!! Thanks so much for the positive post. I agree -- there can be a good life without AL. Your husband sounds much like mine nursing a glass for an hour and then capping the bottle...I'm looking at it positively that now I can be sober right along with him as he never really gets drunk!

Thanks again and congratulations on 9 1/2 weeks!

Comment

Amazing post VG! I havn't imagined a holiday without the sauce, but I guess I'm having to start to contemplate all these things as I get my head around sober living. Enjoying the good life, had rocky patches, but they were there before anyway! Day 14 and all good.
              Thanks for the inspiration, well done xx

Comment

Well done VG that is amazing and an excellent post as well, thank you. I haven't even thought about holidays etc. I am still challenging myself with the 30 days AF period and already it is beginning to pay off. This gives me hope that different parts of my life are 'do-able' AF in the future even if at the moment a life without AL seems just a little bit too scarry! You are an inspiration VG, and I look forward to hearing how you go from strength to strength.

Noodle, excellent job 14 days, keep going. I know what you mean about rocky patches, just been through a couple of days of feeling 'pants' but again this community has helped me put that in perspective and not just think, 'well what's the point' and go back to AL. This is day 8 for me, so looking forward to 'catching you up' at day 14!!

Wishing everyone a lovely AF and peaceful Sunday.

Comment

Hi VG,

I am absolutely delighted for you. I have had a very busy last two weeks and havent been on here as much as I would like.
                  But I knew you had a holiday coming up. It is a big test, and you passed with flying colours.
                  Everything you say is correct, there IS life after Al.
                  You are doing so well and am very happy for you and everyone else beating this.

Well done all.
                  Happy sunday.
                  Now, where are my runners ? Pheonix Park, here I come :-)

Damo in Dublin
                  x
                  Still trying !!!
                  AF 25th June2014

Comment

Well done vg, great post, keep it up.

Might bump into you today damo,i am of down that way soon :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Thanks to all of you for the wonderful support. When I first came here it was unthinkable to me that I could live without a drink to fall back on, now it is becoming a reality that I could actually live a sober and happy life. YOU people taught me that and I can't thank you enough! :thanks:

Comment

Wondered where you'd got to, VG.
                        Blooming well done.:goodjob:
                        BTW the mangos are only 49p at Aldi if you fancy a treat.
                        It could be worse, I could be filing.
                        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Hey Vintage, I wondered where you had gone. I am glad that you had a nice time. Thank you for sharing your honest and very well written post; it speaks very clearly to me. Keep on inpsiring us.
                          Hill

ps
                          Thanks for giving me a reminder of that film, rrrrrrrrrr
                          Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Well done Vintage!! I'm on day 30 and your positive thread gave me the hope and strenght to go for 91/2 weeks too! If you can, I can too! THANX!

Comment

Hero

That's what you are Ten weeks on the horizon and an AF holiday under your belt. The only way is up:goodjob:
                              Last drink 6th September 2013

Comment

Working...
                              X