making progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

making progress

In the last 25 days, I have been AF 15 days -- not what I had hoped, but better than anything in the past few years. Had company stay with us (heavy drinkers) and several work related events that were just too tempting. Am now on day three AF and working to achieve a 30 day run. Will post progress.
    Free at Last
    "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
    http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

making progress

Congrats on your 3 AF days free!
    You have a great start & I wish you continued success

Be sure you take the time to revise you plan so you are prepared the next time temptation rears it's ugly face. If you have a few solid ideas in place beforehand you'll find the going much easier. Don't forget to look in the Tool box Feel free to drop in the Newbies Nest & see what the others are doing too.

Wishing you the best!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

making progress

This is day 10 for me. I am lucky that I am on day 10 because we were having company for dinner. Usually one of the people brings me a bottle of wine when he comes and I was wondering what I would do when he got here. I didn't have to worry since he didn't bring wine with him. I am glad for that. The other temptation was at a hockey game. A great place to drink but since I asked my husband to help me stop drinking about a month ago I couldn't exactly order a drink at the game could I????
      :hitme:
      Day 1:4/4/2014

Comment

making progress

Free at Last - way to hop right back on and start again. I truly believe that you will feel a difference if you can get that 30 days under your belt.

Mimi - glad you weren't faced with the temptation but a backup plan is always a good bet. Being on an antibiotic is always a good one - good to see your hubby is helping you.

Hang in there guys - sober is definitely worth the hard times it takes to get there and stay there!
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

making progress

Free at Last 15AF out of 25, thats more than half and something good to build on, congrats on 3AF stick with it and stay close,

Mimi well done on 10AF

Like the others have said it is worth getting through every hard moment and craving to be AF, stay close to the board and read all you can, find something to distract yourself with, have something on hand to do.

This time I've really planned for any events or nights out, chose resturants where I know I won't be tempted to drink AL, chose from lunch menus that come with a free soft drink/tea/coffee, bought fancy fizzy juices instead of wine early for other ocassions when I've felt positive, that way I haven't left it until the last moment and bought AL in a moment of weakness and had excuses for not drinking when I've had girls nights in... last time it was I was fed up of being hungover and feeling ill the next day, no awkward questions asked even though it was hard to turn down the first couple of offers, by the middle of the evening I'd even forgotten I wasn't drinking..

Good luck on your journeys
          WHAT CAN I SAY? I DON'T WANT TO PLAY ANYMORE..

Just taking it day by day.......

Comment

making progress

Free at last (love the name, btw)
            Good job 15 for 25 but shoulder on - you can do 30! I always found day 4 to be a hump day . . . . probably because usually I could not get past day 4! Social/work events are always the hardest for me . . . I go in with good intentions. I agree with others - go in with a specific plan. Sometimes it is actually fun to be the sober one of the group - amazing the observations you can make!

Mimi - I am right with you. I am on day 12! Have not gone that long in years! Thought it would be easier after a certain point but have not gotten to that point. Talking to your husband is great . . . I have not shared my struggles with mine yet though I know I should. I did share it with a friend and vaguely my daughter and I truly think that has been the key to my success this time!

Jolie, LIS and Lavande - thanks for all the sage advice!!!

River

Comment

making progress

Good morning,

Rivergirl22, It took me a long time to talk to my husband for a couple of reasons 1. If I didn't talk to him about my problem then whether I drank or not was MY CHOICE. 2. Communication is not our strong point 3. I didn't want him to judge me or to look down on me.

I have to say telling him has helped me in times of temptation. I drive past a store on my way home that carries a good supply of alcohol and it is often hard to not stop. Now I think "oh yea" like I'm going to bring home wine when he knows I am trying to stop drinking. However, when he is gone then I am on my own to drink or not to drink.

I am thankful for each day that leads to no huge temptation and will be glad for the time when I am strong enough to say "no.
              :hitme:
              Day 1:4/4/2014

Comment

Working...
              X