My first visit, am I ready for this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 bottles a night, sick of the self loathing but already thinking about cracking open today's first bottle. V ashamed. Really want to stop but just don't have the will power. I hope this is the right place for me to get my arse in gear. JUst downloaded the book so will read over a bottle of wine tonight. Really hate myself right now.

:welcome: jobloggs. Have you downloaded the My Way Out book from the Health Store? (center of the top menu bar) I think that is a great place to start.

I can relate to the self loathing, wanting to not drink, and wanting to drink. And then drinking. I did that for many years.

If I can stop drinking, I know you can do it too.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Yes, that's my reading for tonight. Only decided to do something about this today. How long did you drink for and how long have you been AF?

Comment

Hi Joe,

I`m glad you found us, you have certainly come to the right place for plenty
        of encouragement, you sound ready to give this a go so well done for making
        your mind up to give it a try.

Look forward to hearing more from you

Luv Flo x
        Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Comment

My Confession

Hi Flo,

I have been hooked on this site ever since I found it earlier today. How inspiring.

My confession... I open a bottle of wine at about 3pm, drink it, hide the empty and open another, have one glass from it just before my husband gets in at 7pm. He thinks I've only had one glass so we then go on to drink together until bedtime. This has been going on for too long. It's scary how normal I am after a bottle of wine. Normal, in my mind only I guess.

My husband only has two or three glasses a night whereby I will be topping mine up secretly in the kitchen and can often open another one without him noticing for myself. On top of the bottle sunk in the afternoon.

My biggest shame is that I have a 3yr old and an 8mth old. My excuse has been that after nursery pick up I have no reason not to drink and I'd prefer to "float" through the dinner, bath and bedtime hrs rather than pull my hair out. I feel like a terrible terrible mother, however my kids think I'm fun when I prance and dance around after my wine. NOT good.

This is going to be hard as my husband drinks and so does his nearby family. Sat and Suns bottles are open by noon. I'm not sure any of them know I have a problem.

I'm hoping the book which I have down loaded and will start reading tonight will help me get over these excuses/hurdles I put in the way.

Today I have just had my first glass of wine and it's 7pm, that's progress but I have along way to go.

Thank you for responding and I hope that finding this site will help me change.

lol
          JB

Comment

Hi again joebloggs!

I just welcomed you in the Newbies Nest

I was a big wine drinker too - huge actually! But that's all changed now & I have been AF a little over 2 years - you can do it too!

You may want to think about slowly decreasing the amount you drink each day this week instead of stopping sudden;y. You need to be safe & be available to care for your young kids. Put a plan together using the tools I mentioned before https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html. Set yourself a start date, make a firm commitment & just do it! That plan worked for me & I hope you do the same. Do it for yourself & for you family - you won't be sorry

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi again JB,

I am saying this in a good way so don`t get offended.

Nothing you have written is anymore shamefull than we have all done
              sometime or another, we all have things that we are truely ashamed of,
              each one of us here has been there and got the t shirt so none of us
              reading this think you are a bad person for doing what you do.

Just read post and learn from us, you can do this honest.

Luv Flo x
              Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Comment

Hi and welcome joebloggs to mwo, lots of great people with lots of advice and support here,well done on coming online,give yourself a chance and we will see you around the forum.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

joebloggs;1113077 wrote: Yes, that's my reading for tonight. Only decided to do something about this today. How long did you drink for and how long have you been AF?
                  Hi again JB. I was a wine drinker too. And vodka. Not in the same glass at the same time. I was a daily drinker for over 30 years. I can relate to several things you posted.

* Over the years my "start time" got earlier and earlier.
                  * I would try to cover up how much of a "head start" I had going on.
                  * I would secretly top off in the kitchen at home, or down a fast one at the bar on the way to the ladies room if out and about.
                  * I lied to my loved ones about my drinking.
                  * I lied to myself about my drinking.

I have been AF for almost 3 years. It is by far the best thing I've ever done for myself, my marriage, my life. If I can do it, so can you.

The toolbox Lav linked is AWESOME.

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

HI JB,
                    Welcome to the site. I think Floss said it pretty well when she said we've all been there and got the tshirt. Awesome, because it's SO TRUE. Yes, and the wine. loved the wine. I too was having 2 bottles, sometimes more. You're right, I could have a bottle of wine and feel normal, although I doubt I was normal. So I would slip into wine 2 and oblivion. Then I switched to vodka, scared my self almost to death, and traded back to wine. So here I am. I have been on this site for 40 days today. I have been AF for 40 days today. I also hid my drinking from hubs and others. This is a completely safe site. Share what you want to, or just lurk.. HAppy you found us. I will see you back in the newbies nest!:l:h

Ive learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

Comment

Thank you

Hi there,

40 days! That's amazing. Thank you for replying and I am full of much hope x

Comment

Working...
                      X