I need help and support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help and support

I am tired of being hung over. Please help. I am 29, in the first year of a rigorous 4 year college program, and have been a binge drinker since I first tasted alcohol at age 16. Some nights I can have just one drink and be fine not to have another. Other nights I just get in a mood to get drunk and drink until I black out. The people I am with tell me there is no gradation to my drunkenness - that one minute I will be talking and laughing and the next falling down drunk, not able to walk or form sentances. I am going to my husband's family's house for christmas and there the wine flows like water. Last time I was there for christmas I blacked out at the family party. Talk about a guilt!!!!!!!
    The only thing I can think of is that these drunken nights are the only time I really relax. I don't binge when I am sad, angry or in a bad mood. It's always when I am really happy - I guess to celebrate? I missed school today because of last night. That has happened more than I can count this semester.
    My doctor at school put me on antidepressants and campral about a month ago. The campral doesn't do anything after getting over the initial unpleasantness of the first drink. I have stopped taking it. I should maybe start again though - it helped for about two weeks, until I decided to over drink it one night.

Please give me thoughts on how and methods to stop after just one or two drinks.

Thanks,
    Dove

I need help and support

Are you me? Same age, same problem, same situation... hmmm anyway welcome to the forum :welcome:

The only advice I have to give you to stop after one or two drinks is simply to go out later, otherwise you'll find a way to talk yourself into having more, guaranteed.

And try the program here - I am still waiting for my pack to arrive.

Also for christmas - make sure you stuff your face so you can't bear the thought of putting anything else in your mouth! Works for me anyway.

Comment

I need help and support

Hi Dove!

:welcome:

I'm Neil, and I started drinking to get drunk at 16 years old myself. I'm 50 now, and have gone almost a year without any alcohol at all. I tried for a long time to moderate my intake, but finally found I had to just give it up for good.

While I usually post in long-term abstainers, I wanted to say hello. I think the program tells those who wish to learn to moderate at only a drink or two, to completely abstain for 30 days to get your systems "reset".

This involves nutritional supplements, exercise, hypnosis CD's, and a prescription for a drug called Topamax.

Myself, I don't use any prescriptions.

Like you, I was in an intensive college program years ago. I got a BS in Aerospace Engineering back in the 1980's, and that is when I first started trying to moderate, or outright stop drinking. So I've been there.

Some of the other moderators should be along shortly, and you may want to peek in on the Montly Moderation section to read some of the posts. Also, the Roberta Jewell blog and book, which is at the top "My Blog" button can steer you towards those things to begin your program.

Whatever direction you take, we are here to help, and share our experiences, successes and failures. You are not alone.

Be well.

Neil

Comment

I need help and support

Hey Dove Welcome:welcome:

Well from your post it sounds like you are anxious about your drinking yes, but also about how it is going to be effecting your 'rigourous' college course. If you are in your first year and you are already skipping classes due to the 'morning after' effects, then you are going to have to make changes if you are seriously hoping to make it to the 4th year without too many dilemas. If you are finding the course itself particularly stressfull then you may find that your college offers some kind of internal support sessions that could benefit you. Actually, from what I can remember of my first year at college, I found the whole experience a little daunting,....new people, lots of new work and seemingly lots of competitiveness.

Christmas drinking, well, that's a hot spot for a lot of people here. This month I guarantee you will start to see a lot of posts appearing from members who want to discuss their coping strategies and past experiences. Perhaps you could start with making a commitment to yourself to have a glass of water in between each alcoholic drink when you are with your husbands family at Christmas? I know, doesn't sound wonderful, but would work and you wouldn't get to that embarrassing 'did something I regret stage'.

Over and above that, I do believe the program works. If you decide to do it, obviously read the book first, then tailor it to suit yourself. You have been honest enough with yourself to come to this site and post your experiences so far, so if you embark on this program you should be able to look at yourself and your behaviour with open eyes and make adjustments if its not working in the way you would like

Dove, you are a young woman, with a husband and the possibilities for a great life are ahead of you. If you need to do something about your drinking, do it now, as it may get harder to address with time.

Take care and keep visiting

Amelia
        Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

I need help and support

Hi All....
          And Hello Dove.
          Im new here too and wanted to say hi.
          Im 42 and i drink ALOT...
          I have been clean for 6 days now and i want a drink sooooo bad....
          Well its the tremors aka D.T's that gets me.
          BUT ANYWAYS
          Dove My Friend this can be a long trip for us...
          Because when we do something for years & years our body can get used to the bad treatment and want more.
          What I Mean is that its SOMETIMES hard to break bad habits, but its not impossible.
          The ONLY thing thats gonna keep me from drinking is me...
          You must just say hell to the no... I WANNA QUIT.
          Its hard And It hurts but you will live to see tommorow and you will see it clean (no hangovers no bs)
          When you think about what you and I lose everyday from this beast called booze (wine beer or whatever)
          that alone hurts us & our friends and family.
          For me its important to wake up with a clear mind so I can deal with the day ahead (which can be stressful enough without booze) I dont need any other demons on my back (and trust me my drinking is a demon).
          And I Want To Live...
          I Want To Quit.....
          I Want To Be Free....
          But its up to me.
          Please forgive me for what im about to say.
          But if its gonna be hard for you to go to someones house for chistmas because of the wine then say home.
          Please understand and i hope this wont get you mad but its better to be alone CLEAN & SOBER than at a great party making a fool out of yourself...
          Trust me im the king of fools (been there done that).
          That is why I must stay clean for me i dont have a option.
          Its life happy or life sad.
          For me failure is not a option because if I have 1 drink ha ha (that aint happening) 1 will turn to god only knows how many. AND TOMMOROW I WILL DO THE SAME.
          I know its hard im right there with you my friend. But we can do it... I know we can.
          I see many people here that talk about cutting down on there drinking...
          Hmmm i wonder...
          Nope i cant do that, Nope not me...
          Im a true drunk 1 wont work (ha ha).
          And I wouldnt trust that just incase your thinking about it.
          Once again forgive me if im crossing the line.
          It just sounds like you really want help so I think its best to just go for the gold...
          Get the program
          Do the program
          See tomorrow in a fresh new way.
          A new and great life awaits us my friend.
          Nothing is impossible & Impossible is nothing.
          WE CAN WE WILL..

Peace & God bless
          michael michaels
          Life Without Drinking Is Life Worth Living.

Comment

I need help and support

Welcome Michael,

My God I so totally agree with you and your thoughts on drinking. I really admire those amongst us who can moderate their drinking. I can't, tried that one and failed. Started off thinking......right, no drinking till 7pm and then no more than two glasses of wine.... a few days later had moved the goal posts.... okay start drinking at 5pm and no more then maybe three glasses, and so it went on. My whole life revolved around trying to stay within these guidelines, then I choose abstinence, it's still hard sometimes when the craving for a drink just jumps out of the bushes and wraps it's arms around you, but a craving is not going to kill you.

I used to think the best feeling in the world was when you had a buzz on from drinking, and you were the life and soul of the party ( even when drinking alone at home ) but not anymore, for me the best buzz now is when I wake up without a hangover, with a clear head and the knowledge of another AF day under my belt.

Keep posting Michael, you sound very interesting,

Louise xx
            A F F L..
            Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

I need help and support

:new:

Hi Everyone......

This being my first post, I wanted to say Hello and introduce myself. I, too, like so many of you who've written, am TIRED of being hungover. I have been "lurking" around reading all of your posts and love how supportive you all are. I bought Roberta's book about two weeks ago and read it....wonderful stuff in there. Haven't been able to get to the doc for the prescription of Topamax. Right now, I have a hellacious hangover - drank a bottle of vodka last night. That's the worst for me. A bottle of wine a night ten years ago and now it's progressed to this. I simply must quit.........or as someone else put it I must CHOOSE to quit. And I CHOOSE!! Having come on to this website is a first step for me......I need a support group. And I know that I'll have it hear. For now, I just want to say Thank You for being here. I'll elaborate more on my details later.

An AF toast to my first Day of Abstinence.......

Scarlet

Comment

I need help and support

Dove, Michael, Scarlet,

Welcome to this wonderful community! I'm rather new here, too -- today being AF day 9. This is a great place to come for support, especially through those first AF days, where you're wondering IF you can do it. YOU CAN.

Michael, that is so true about choices...You've got to live with the choices you make. Reading these boards each day has helped me find the strength to put the habit of choosing to drink every day behind me. That's where I want that habit to stay.

Again, welcome new members -- Looking forward to hearing from you and how you're doing on your journey.
                Grace

Comment

I need help and support

Dove;

Welcome to the family! Wow does your post bring back alot of memories. I know about school and stress, not to mention drinking. I didn't miss class from being hungover, but my studies got harder with drinking. The mood of I'll get to it later. Hang in there and keep posting and reading, everybody here at MWO can relate to each other one road or the other.

Hugs!
                  Brandy

Comment

I need help and support

In my first year I used to take four packs of Stella into lectures, by the end of the year I was drinking special brew in the exams. I failed.

But then came back and something made me finish the course, I don't know what, maybe a steady relationship and a passion for my subject.

Comment

I need help and support

Thank you all very much. You all seem like such a supportive group of people. I may stick around here for a while. My life is just going to get more stressful, not less - my "rigorous studies" are because I am going to be a doctor. I am only in the first semester (after years of undergraduate studies and many more drunken nights) and I am already trying to let alcohol ruin it for me. It seems like every test I take I need to get black out drunk to celebrate.
                      As for the family christmas party I am still pretty scared. I am going to plan on not having a drink until dinner and then let myself have one more later if I want. I want to believe I can do it. I don't know if I can though. I also know I am not going to let others keep filling my wine glass anymore. I need to start knowing how much I am consuming.
                      I'm nervous. But I think I can do it...maybe.

Comment

I need help and support

Dove, Michael, Scarlet - Welcome I am also new here and started the programme 8 days ago so 8 days AF !!! first time in I don't know how long. I as lots of us use to think the buzz of alcohol was the best but finding out the buzz of life is far better. Hang in there guys we can all do it and we are all worth it. Kim
                        Yesterday I dared to struggle. Today I dare to win!!

Comment

I need help and support

Dove, Michael, Scarlet, Boycie..

I'm new too... just over a week or so. How nice to start with such a great group. I'm reving myself up to start the New Year with new confidence and all the cobwebs cleared away!! I've never been one to make "resolutioins" but I'm looking forward to the New Year now.

Nice to know you're here...

Olly

Comment

I need help and support

ditto that!

I agree Olly - I'm new here too! There seems to be loads of us all starting at the same time - how great is that! :welcome: Chile, Scarlet, Dove, Jay, Michael, Boycie, Caitlin welcome too! :welcome: [sorry if I forgot anyone!]

What are everyone's plans? I have to admit that I'm kind of aiming to start something a bit more concrete in the new year - maybe that's a cop out but I haven't got hold of the book yet - let alone read it! [Although I did AF yesterday and how pucker do I feel this morning! I think I will probably try and AF for a month and then mod (I understand that that's suggested?). May use supps and hypno too... Not sure yet.... I am a problem drinker but want to nip it in the bud before it gets any worse.

Are you all starting right away? I'd be interested in hearing of how others intend to tackle / are tackling their probs - many roads to Rome and all that!

Cheers
                            I x
                            :l
                            Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened
                            :whee:

Comment

I need help and support

Great Group!

:thanks:

Thanks to Olly, Ilex, boycie, and GraceBC for the WELCOME! And dove, welcome to you too! Sorry when I posted earlier on your thread, I introduced myself but neglected to welcome you!! Very rude, eh?

So, yes.....great group of beginners we are! And might I say from reading many previous posts, also a great group of "Oldies" as well! Holidays are upon us......and what kind of masochists are we that we choose this time of year to give it up?? :H :upset: But I guess there's never a "right" time to give it up......or should I say a "wrong" time to give it up?? Anyway, we've made our Choices.....and this time, after many failed attempts, I plan to stick to it. I plan to come to this website whenever I feel the URGE upon me!! Maybe many of you can do the same?? Realizing that sometimes when the URGE is upon us we aren't always handy to our computers, but still makes life a little easier to know there's a place to go. For me, I have always enjoyed my evenings alone (when my hubby is traveling) with my bottle of wine - lately it's been the bottle of vodka - but now I plan to come here instead of cozying up to the bottle. Join me??

Sending support.....
                              Scarlet

Comment

Working...
                              X