PLEASE HELP - drinking on campral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have been on campral for 4 days now. i think it has really lessened my cravings HOWEVER today i had 3 beers, just for the simple reason that i felt i had to have a friday knock of work drinks with friends.. i feel so angry at my self right now!!! what do i do?? do i continue to take campral?? or will it never work for me again

Welcome to MWO, Gulo!:welcome:

Campral is very effective for reducing cravings but it won't work overnight. It has helped you quite a bit so take heart. What is your sobriety plan? Check out the Tool Box thread for some great ideas. Also check out the Meds Forum and click on Campral and you will see some success stories there. Keep reading and posting!

Comment

:welcome: gulojax,

Found a couple of threads you may find useful. Just click on them and have a good read.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...tes-38480.html

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

Glad you've found us and hope you keep posting and keep reading.

J x
      :l
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

well my plan is to drink in moderation.. i was drinking every night for years.. id like to be able to have 2 or 3 beers on a friday and saturday night, in stead of having 6 beers on week nights and 12 on weekend nights... i feel like i have been good as i havent drank during this week and tonight is friday in Australia and i have had my 3 beers and i dont feel like anymore tonight at all... so im assuming the campral is working for me.. some people on the net have said that it stops working for ever if you drink while taking it? have i now totally stuffed up my campral treatment??

thankyou for your replys

Comment

Me again,

I took campral and stayed abstinent for well over 5 months until I chose to drink on it. It's my understanding of campral that it is a medication prescribed to help with total abstinence.

Only advice I can give is have a word with the doc who prescribed it.

J x
          :l
          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

when i went to my doctor i was dead set on being totally abstinent (because i thought i would have to be).. i think the prob im having now is that it has worked so well the past four days, that now im feeling that i maybey able to have my couple of beers on the weekend and still not drink large amounts or during the week.. does that sound stupid?

Comment

i guess what im saying is that i have chosen to drink 3 beers tonight - i wasnt having withdrawals.. im just worried that the medication will stop working now that ive drank once on it

Comment

Ahhhhh the dream of many of us here was once to just have a few on a weekend but sadly not possible.

The rule of thumb round these parts is to have 30 days AF (alcohol free) and then re-assess your situation. It will give the campral more than enough time to do it's job and you may find you actually like it.
                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

I don't think it will stop working now that you've drunk once with it....but again, Campral will do very little good for you if you continue to drink on it.

Comment

Hi,

While I don't have any experience in taking Campral I just wanted to say hi and offer words of support whether you choose to mod or go completely AF. I am just on day 2 of giving up AL and like many have mentioned before me, it is good to go for 30 days AF to really get it out of your system and see where you're at. You should be proud of yourself for taking the steps to decrease AL in your life whether less is consumed everyday or not consumed at all...it's all a part of becoming a healthier person, phsyically and mentally. Best of luck to you and stay strong!
                    Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                    :h

Comment

Hi Gulo, I have taken Campral off and on for about 3 years now and it helped me with one complete year AF and then fell off for some reason. But the only times that I do start drinking again is when I stop the Campral and my doctor will say "you must have stopped the medicine, huh?" So I really think it helps alot, as long as it is ok with your doctor to drink while on it, maybe that works for you! Lots of Good Luck to you

Comment

Whilst it's not dangerous drinking on Campral I hear that you may as well wash it down the toilet whilst you do! It's supposed to work best with complete abstenance, so do not panic.

Comment

JackieClaire - i would just like to give you an update regarding your comment " Ahhhhh the dream of many of us here was once to just have a few on a weekend but sadly not possible" im now over 3 weeks on campral and i feel amazing. i have not drank during the week. and i HAVE BEEN ABLE to drink on the weekends. actually i wouldnt even call it weekends.. i should say i have had a few on a friday nights.. usually i would drink at least 12 beers on a weekend night. and i have had two beers on a friday night for the past fortnight!! i just thought id let you no that iscase anyone ever asks the same question that i did about drinking on campral xxx

Comment

Working...
                          X