Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

going round in circles

what a ball ache...
    have the dream of stopping...........but .........but........
    set the date..........Hmm........Monday...
    Wednesday..Back to normal...Until next Monday.

CIRCLES........................

going round in circles

Circles never ever end BUT they can be broken! You've come far already by knowing and admitting that you have a problem, for looking for advice and finding this sight, for posting and for wanting to stop.
    Now you need to make a plan on how to break the circle! Changing your routine in vital! Stay busy and stay away from places and peole that are your triggers. For example, my trigger was shopping! I'd always find myself going down the drink isle. So I ended up ordering my food shopping online. That way I wasn't tempted. Stay busy, take up some hobbies!

Comment

going round in circles

Cookie141, The answer is motivation. We use our lack of acceptance (punishment - cause it feels bad) as motivation to get us to do, not do, be, and not be what we think we should. Many people believe that if they accepted themselves as they are, they wouldn’t change or that they wouldn’t work on becoming more of who they want to be.
      Typically, we judge ourselves unfavorably with the hope it will motivate us to change. We hope if we feel bad enough about ourselves, that maybe that will motivate us to change. Does this work? Sometimes, but only short term. Most times all it does is cause us to feel bad which saps the energy you might have used to make changes. It can be a vicious cycle. It works exactly counter to what you wanted to do.
      “Acceptance allows change. The 'acceptance mode' includes everything, even my judgments. It allows me to be okay now, even before I reach my goals.”
      “When you begin to accept yourself the way you are right now, you begin a new life with new possibilities that did not exist before because you were so caught up in the struggle against reality that that was all you could do.”
      ;-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

going round in circles

Thanks for your replies and advice...

I have to make changes in my lifestyle..

I have taken onboard what you advise Michelle....You are quite right with your comments

And Mario you are also right i have to get motivated ...

Comment

going round in circles

Thanks Buddy....

Comment

going round in circles

Cookie - I spent a lot of time in the cycle you describe. I knew I needed to stop drinking. I would set a date out into the future, and feel an immediate sense of relief. What I know now is that the "relief" was my addicted brain being happy that for today, the drinking would continue.

As a wise person here at MWO said......

What's wrong with stopping today?

That's what I ultimately did. I never set a date into the future and stopped on that date. One day I just decided today was the day. That day was May 22, 2008. Just do it - get the suffering of the early days of sobriety out of the way - and dont' look back.

The MWO book, supplements, hypnosis tapes, etc. really helped me. I also go to AA. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to stay sober. You can do it too.

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

going round in circles

Great words mario

Comment

Working...
              X