Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could really use some help.

Hi,
    I have been drinking every night for over seven years, I drink about 5 or 6 glasses of wine per night, never during the day. I found out I have acid reflux and need to stop drinking fast, it just makes me feel too ill. I'm wondering if this is something I could do without having to wait for the supps and without going through major WD's. I'm so scared right now. My husband drinks every night and he does not want to quit. Is there a way I can taper down or would cold turkey work better? I'm AF 1 day now.
    Stumpy:new:
    AF since 8/29/12 Goal 30 day-screwed up on day 9
    AF since 9/9/12- Goal 30 days
    STUMPY IS A LADY!

Hi Stumpy I too drank everynight but I did it for almost ten years. I did taper the last week of my drinking but you have to be absolutely committed to going AL free. I was terrified of withdrawals so I didn't do cold Turkey. I also started SMART recovery a couple of weeks before I quit and it totally changed my thinking and made it possible for me to finally quit. I joined this site over a year ago and read the posts everyday to keep me motivated and my thinking in check cause AL is a tricky demon and will try to get you whenever it can. I can tell you for me the first few days were the hardest and now after 90 plus days it has been much easier. Do you have a SMART group, Women for Sobriety or AA meeting you could try? It really helps to have support as you navigate this new life and challenges. The people here are great and will provide lots of answers.and support. You can do this!
    AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Thank you Red67. AA is not an option for me right now. I really didn't want to taper off because the acid reflux is killing me but maybe that will have to do for now. If I taper, how should I start? If I drink six drinks do I start with 4 and than 3 and so on? I'm sure this is going to be hard but so is spiting up acid in the middle of the night. I never thought that I would get to this point.
      STUMPY IS A LADY!

Comment

They way I did it was to drink one to two less drinks per night. I took me a week to get to the last drink. You probably could.quit.cold Turkey if you are at 5 to 6 drinks per night. I also took lots of vitamins and drank tons of water with lemon, that is supposed to help cleanse/heal your liver. Withdrawals very with each person but most likely you will be OK. You may feel jittery, tired or irritable in the few days but that fades very quickly. Do you have a health store near you? You should get a good multi vitamin and L Glutamine powder (which you mix with water) really helped me also. Do you feel comfortable.talking with your doctor? Mine was very helpful. I hope I provided some help but you can also PM me if you have any questions also. Take care of yourself and you will feel so much better after just a few days.
        AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

I went cold turkey because I couldn't stop after the first drink
          you also may need to talk to your dodctor and like red said get multivitamins and have a look at the site for other meds you can try
          I'm now 5 weeks af I check in here everyday to keep me focused on my goal not to drink to-day

Comment

I could use a little help

Hello Red67, you have been a great help to me. I will go to my local GNC and buy what you recommended. I don't even want a drink. I'm fine today but my reflux is so bad that I think it's keeping my mind off of booze. I didn't sleep at all last night but that's alright. I am going to keep reading MWO and I will order the book, that should help.

Hi Merry, my doctor is worthless, she is of no help to me. I think I can do this, i have to. Thank your your reply.
            Stumpy
            STUMPY IS A LADY!

Comment

Hello Stumpy and Welcome,

I used to have acid reflux on and off during my drinking. It is really unpleasant and quite painful.
              Good on you for deciding to go AF. Taper down if you are able to. I had to go cold turkey as I couldn't stop or control my drinking after one drink (as Merry said).

Expect to be tired, emotional and irritable. These feelings should pass after a week or so.
              Look after yourself. Try to eat good food and drink lots of water (with lemon if you like it).

If you have cravings - come onto this site and post about them instead of picking up a drink.

You can do this.

All the best
              Amelia
              Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

I was a 'can't stop after one drink" gal too, so when I went AF I did cold turkey. I was fine, no withdrawals and I could put away a large bottle of wine a night. I got a juicer and I've been doing green juices with lemon and such to heal my liver, and taking meletonin at night to help me sleep without the alcohol. I've also started taking magna-calm before bed which also helps you sleep and replenishes magnesium.

Good luck!

Comment

I too had to go cold turkey as I can't stop after 1.

What I did was go to the link which is a sticky in the "Need Help ASAP" section that talks about alcohol withdrawl. I printed it out and reviewed it with my husband. I had him keep a close eye on me for the first few days to make sure there were no problems with WD. (in my case, there were not)

All the best to you.

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I could use a little help

All of you have been so kind to me, thank you. I'm too scared to drink anything because my stomach is so bad right now so tapering isn't an option.
                    Merry, you should be so proud of yourself 5 weeks is a long time, high five to you.
                    Jordan, 1 big bottle a night? ouch I tried that a couple of times and was sick as a dog the next day.
                    DoggyGirl, my husband is a every night drinker and I don't think I could trust him to watch over me right now, as a matter of fact he doesn't want me to quit.
                    I'm going to stay close to the board while I go through this rough time.
                    Stumpy
                    STUMPY IS A LADY!

Comment

Working...
                    X