Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie - day 16 - with question

HI All!

Have been reading through all your posts and threads and wanted to THANK YOU all - Your success and struggles have motivated me to complete 16 days AF. This guy's story is so similar to many here that I don't want to bore you with details. In brief, my love for the occasional glass of wine became a bottle + habit that affected my health, work performance, and friendships. Before quitting, I just didn't have the desire to drink anymore - all the positives of booze were surpassed by the negatives. And I felt like life was passing me by - I was becoming more withdrawn "wed" to the bottle while my non-drinker buddies threw themselves into life and were really living. I guess that was my "bottom" - knowing and feeling deep down inside that I didn't want to sit on the sidelines anymore and that is what keeps me away from the poison.

QUESTION: Did any of you experience incredible fatigue when you put aside the poison? I can't complain of severe withdrawal symptoms and I was surprised at how - for me - pain-free giving up the bottle was with the exception of disturbed sleeping patterns. But now I sometimes feel incredible fatigue and can easily nap for hours. Did anyone else have this experience? I do try to exercise - lots of cardio - but I have had to pull back on that a bit. Seems like it was easier when I was drinking - weird, no?

I'm going to purchase a B complex 50 supplement - read that it was good during recovery. Any other advice about the fatigue and why the body reacts like this?

All of you are in my thoughts/prayers. Again, THANK YOU for your inspirational posts and best of luck on your journey to physical/emotional sobriety.

Peace!

Hi Life

Well done on making the decision and starting on your journey:l

I suffered from terrible fatigue for the first few weeks I could literally have slept for England, I guess it is the bodys way of beginning the healing process. I'd drop the kids off at school and sleep, wake up and do a few chores and then sleep for another couple of hours before the school run, do whatever then doze on and off before bed when I'd sleep all night, so different from when I was drinking. So it is normal (infact my doctor did do blood tests to check their wasn't any underlying cause which came back clear) and something to work through.

Your thoughts about not sitting on the sidelines anymore hit a chord with me, I have more confidence than ever since quitting, those sidelines are getting fewer for me.:l
    WHAT CAN I SAY? I DON'T WANT TO PLAY ANYMORE..

Just taking it day by day.......

Comment

Hi life welcome to mwo, read as many posts as you can and post your thoughts and feelings here as much as you can,There is a tool box in the monthly abstinence thread that you must check out,we can all relate what you are going through as we have all been/are there,give yourself a chance and dont quit quitting ;-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Great question Life,

I noticed that too when I quit Drinking( all I wanted to do was sleep & had no energy)
        A nutitionist told me the reason that happens is because alcohol is broken down like sugar.
        That why very seldom while we are drinking, do we crave sugar. We are getting it from the alcohol.
        So don't be suprised if you start craving sweets. I did for like 9 days straight. Take the Glut. it will help tremendously.
        The good news is you start losing the bloat and possibly some weight (from all the calories you are not consuming through alcohol).

Comment

thanks for the responses! They mean alot to me.

HaveFaith: you described my experience so far...When I drank, I NEVER looked at desserts but now I crave ice cream with chocolate chip cookies! I'll purchase the GLUT asap.

Trying to read through all the info in so many posts here.
          1 day/hour/minute/second at a time.

Comment

Hi LifeT2,
            Yup totally. I'm a starter over only on day 3, but on my last dry stint I felt totally knackered. I think for me it was for a few reasons...that I didn't have to mentally force myself to function (mind over matter) as I knew I was slowly destroying myself, but battling on (I'm o.k - I can keep drinking); the lack of sugar (It's unbelievable how much sugar is in booze, so when that gets pulled out the equasion the body must be going nuts, I too sit eating choc and biscuits like nobody's business, but I reckon it's much better than the booze), and of course the natural recovery process - we all say how we start to feel and look better within a few days - that's all gotta come from somwhere I reckon, it's like the body's thinking - quick - repair those cells before this idiot picks up the bottle again - who knows when we'll get another chance :H. I didn't get a great rush of energy like some people report on here either, but slowly and surely, I started to look and feel much better than I had done for years. We can get there x

Comment

I took quite a few naps my first week AF. I was sleeping well too--taking melatonin and magna-calm before bed, but definately noticed how easy it was to drop off during the day. At least it wasn't from the alcohol. I upped my B vitamins and I'm feeling good now--almost three weeks.

Comment

Hi LT2,

Congrats on getting this far, the benefits of staying AF will keep going.

Dont worry about the fatigue, it will pass soon enough.

Also, I have found I have a sweeter tooth, just go with it for now. If you fancy ice cream, treat yourself, you deserve it.
                You will probably find soon enough that your diet will improve and want to live a completely healthier lifestyle.
                But dont deprive yourself of some treats, I look forward to my Ben & Jerrys from time to time.

All the best and keep up the great work.

Damo in Dublin
                Still trying !!!
                AF 25th June2014

Comment

Hi Life! :welcome: and congratulations on your 16 days AF. I love how you put it - you found you were living life on the sidelines and didn't want that any more. I too was really sidelined big time in the later years of my drinking.

Have you downloaded the My Way Out book? It's only about $12 and is an easy read. It has a lot of information about how nutritionally depleted we get, and what supplements and diet are helpful to support your new sobriety. I personally did not take any prescription medication (the book recommends Topamax) but I DID follow all the other suggestions - supplements, diet, exercise, hypnosis CDs. It really helped give me structure to get started, and feed my body and mind in a helpful way.

My sobriety routine has changed over the years, but I still have one. It's worth it. I never want to forget where I will end up if I start drinking again. I'm grateful to be in the game again rather than on the sidelines. You will love it too!

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi Life,

Congratulations! When I was detoxing, I was exhausted. It lasted for weeks. I am day 39 and I am just starting to get a little bit of energy. I would literally feel like I had the flu for 2 weeks. I take the L-glut, chromium picolinate, and a really good multi-vitamin chock full of B's. Don't forget the Milk Thistle. Good Luck and Good Health!
                    I never want to go through the detox again, just because of the severe fatigue, and nightmares.
                    Now, my life is so much different.
                    THOUGHTS become THINGS
                    choose the GOOD
                    ones!

AF since 5/22/11 :boxer: Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.............

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your good wishes and advice. I'm taking the milk-thistle, B vits, and Glut. Feeling better....I'm learning to stop being impatient and allowing my body to heal on its own pace. After what I put it through, my body is on a much needed "vacation"!

Can't believe I'm about to begin day 19. Off to meditate/pray - give thanks for a new day, enjoy a hot freslhy brewed cup of java. Gotta keep 1 vice!
                      Peace to all.

Comment

Well done life.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Working...
                        X