Well, I blew it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I blew it.

I made it 8 days AF, and then both elderly parents ended up in the hospital, and I'm their main caretaker. All the siblings arrived, with the accompanying drama, and I WANTED a drink. I reminded myself I didn't NEED a drink, but wanted one. It didn't work. I gave in, and bought a bottle of wine. Been drinking a bottle for 5 days straight. Husband not happy, I can tell. He's watching me.

So, now what? How do I not drink in extremely stressful times?

I'll check to see if anyone's started an AF July, but don't feel particularly motivated.

Crap.
    "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Well, I blew it.

Juja,

Being the primary caretaker for my parents was indeed a stressful time for me as well. Sorry that you are going through this too.

Taking care of yourself first is a must so that you are available to take care of others!
    These days I find guided meditations whether online or on a purchased CD very helpful when I feel stressed. Sometimes just playing calm/meditation music in the background helps too.

Congrats on your 8 AF days! You can do it again but you have to stop drinking wine & refocus, recommit yourself. Revise your plan & add in some quiet times to listen to the meditations. Chopra.com offers some free online meditations. You can purchase inexpensive CDs from DailyOm.com

Wishing you the best & hoping you choose to stay on your journey to freedom

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Well, I blew it.

Juja,

Good advice from Lav - just pick yourself up and start over! You stopped for 8 days so you know it can be done!

Sending hugs your way and hoping that all turns out well with your parents. My siblings and I went thru the last thing last year with my Dad. Fortunately, even though it was stressful, we all worked very well together and got thru it.

Hang in there my friend!
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Well, I blew it.

Juja - great advice here already - just wanted to chime in for additional support. My Dad is really ill right now and that is stressful. I can't imagine BOTH parents in the hospital.

During times of intense stress, it helps me to remember two important things:

1. Drinking does NOT change anything and does not actually relieve stress.

2. My stressful issues are not unique. Many, many people manage to deal with the same issues I am facing, and do it without drinking. If they can do it, I can do it too. Unpleasant things are part of life and booze doesn't change that.

Lav, I'm glad you mentioned the free guided meditations on Chopra's site. I need to check those out! Some real stress relief rather than masking things with AL.

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Well, I blew it.

I'm starting 30 Days AF and I have a thread going called "All I want is 30 days AF". I blew it as well and today is July 1st and day no. 1 for me again. Please feel free to join in....we have a great group of people on the thread.

Comment

Well, I blew it.

:spam:
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Well, I blew it.

Lavande;1164810 wrote: :spam:
              Whew! Thanks, Lavande, because I haven't blown it. I'm 31-2 days AF, and plan to continue to add more days.

How did you know it was spam?
              "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Well, I blew it.

Juja;1164922 wrote: Whew! Thanks, Lavande, because I haven't blown it. I'm 31-2 days AF, and plan to continue to add more days.

How did you know it was spam?
                glad to know you havent slipped honey x
                WHAT CAN I SAY? I DON'T WANT TO PLAY ANYMORE..

Just taking it day by day.......

Comment

Well, I blew it.

Lav, I'm glad you mentioned the free guided meditations on Chopra's site. I need to check those out! Some real stress relief rather than masking things with AL.

Hi, where can I find these? many thanks....Oh and fantastic job juju!:goodjob:
                  ?I thought I'd begin by reading a sonnet by Shakespeare, but then I thought, why should I? He never reads any of mine.?

Comment

Working...
                  X